Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Noone cares about MINISTRY's new CD?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-04, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was shocked to see it was coming out today, I heard they were working on a new album, but didn't expect it to "drop" this fast. It's called HOUSE OF THE MOLÉ (a take off of Led Zep's "Houses Of The Holy") I know MINISTRY has kind of "lost it" for most MINISTRY fans, so most people probably really don't care, but it sounds like they are back, Psalm 69-style!
I've only heard the first 5-6 songs so far. Paul Barker (bass player/programmer/long time musical partner of Al's) departed, and so did all the computers and programming. Now it's all raw power, live band feel, complete with the trashy drums, speed metal riffing, angry/echoey vocals and TV news samples.

Anyhoo.... yay!
Old 06-22-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Noone cares about MINISTRY's new CD?

Originally posted by darqleo
I know MINISTRY has kind of "lost it" for most MINISTRY fans
You got that right. I was a huge fan up through Psalm 69. Old Al went downhill quick after that.
Old 06-22-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Too much smack, I figure...

Didn't even know this was out, but if it's indeed a return to Psalm 69, I'd be quite interested in hearing it...
Old 06-22-04, 07:22 PM

from what i read, they will be touring with Skinny Puppy after Labor Day
Old 06-22-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,497 Posts
I still listen to Psalm 69 quite often. What a great album it was. I'd be interested in hearing the new one too, but I'm still skeptical.
Old 06-22-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

First listen on the Vh-1 stream made me think they just repackaged Psalm 69 and put new lyrics to the music. Maybe it will grow on me. Much better than the other stuff they came out with recently though.
Old 06-22-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't even know. Will pick it up.
Old 06-23-04, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I stopped listening to Ministry after the With Sympathy album.
Old 06-23-04, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

big ministry fan here. while filthpig was a dissapointment i still came around to it. can't say the same for dark side of sppon, other then supermanic soul and bad blood.

calling this new album a throw back to psalm 69 is kinda true but also misleading. the electronics are for the most part gone, replaced by distortion and effects. i am sure that is mainly due to paul leaving.

i haven't listen to the album much, other then No W and WTV. basiclly these are rehashes of psalm 69 songs, NWO and TV II.
the songs are reworked enough that they are covers but the style is very similar. the sames from bush on No W are good and a highlight in the song, as well as the bush and commerical and tv show samples on WTV. the song psalm 32 is just No W with a different intro.

i think the album is worth it for those 2 songs. the other songs are semi decent, could be great but just didn't catch my ear enough to put on repeat as i do with the other 2.
Old 06-23-04, 10:32 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only heard "No W". It was an interesting idea to recreate "NWO", but it isn't nearly as cool as the original. The lyrics are also way too obvious and blatant, ending up sounding preachy. NWO's lyrics were sly and much more clever.
Old 06-23-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
True story-When I first saw the title I was baffled that Herman Hermits lead singer Peter Noone had anything to do with Ministry.