Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : More Monster Legacy Sets coming in October!!!!

redskull47
06-22-04, 08:08 AM
From dvddrive-in.com:

"On October 5, Universal Home Video will release three more sets in its "Monster Legacy Collections." There will be a CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON set that will also include its sequels REVENGE OF THE CREATURE and THE CREATURE WALKS AMONG US. THE MUMMY set will include the 1931 Boris Karloff classic, as well as THE MUMMY'S HAND, THE MUMMY'S TOMB, THE MUMMY'S GHOST and THE MUMMY'S CURSE. THE INVISIBLE MAN will include the original film starring Claude Rains, as well as THE INVISIBLE MAN RETURNS (with Vincent Price), THE INVISIBLE MAN'S REVENGE, THE INVISIBLE AGENT and THE INVISIBLE WOMAN. Each set will contain extras--more details to follow!"

I've been hoping the first sets would sell well enough for Universal to continue the series. I wonder if they'll include another mega set complete with busts? Let's hope there're no floater problems this time.

gorgo99
06-22-04, 08:24 AM
I am SO there. Actually don't care about the invisible set so much, but if it's all in one nice box with the busts again, I'll get it.

Mutley Hyde
06-22-04, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by gorgo99
I am SO there. Actually don't care about the invisible set so much, but if it's all in one nice box with the busts again, I'll get it.
Au contraire! I've been waiting for an Invisible Man set since they first started releasing the original, single movie dvds. These were some of my favorite movies growing up.

Will have to get the Creature set too. And, if there are busts again, I guess I'll be double-dipping on the Mummies. Ah well. :o

By the way, did I say... Invisible Man - KICK-ASS! :banana:

Mr. Cinema
06-22-04, 08:50 AM
This is a nice tie-in to Universal's Oct. 5 releases of Dawn of the Dead and The Thing (16x9)

Ginwen
06-22-04, 09:30 AM
Excellent news!

Especially the Invisible Man set, those are great.

If they do have busts, the invisible man won't look all that different from the mummy (except maybe for a hat and shades)

Mutley Hyde
06-22-04, 10:50 AM
It could just be the platform. :p

Abob Teff
06-22-04, 11:02 AM
Pictures of the Invisible Man bust are leaking all over the internet! This is so cool! Check out the pictures:

redskull47
06-22-04, 11:17 AM
An Invisible Man bust with a partially unwrapped head (that was hollow inside) would be cool.

BTW, all this talk about busts is just hopeful speculation. I have no idea if they're going to do that again. The 3 busts of Frankenstein, Dracula and the Wolfman feature heads identical to Sideshow Toys' 12" monster action figures (however, the shoulders & bases were new). Sideshow's done a 12" Creature and Mummy, but so far no 12" Invisible Man. Would they sculpt a brand new Invisble Man just for this set? I guess we'll see come October.

Zodiac_Speaking
06-22-04, 11:20 AM
I already got the Mummy and its sequels as well as Creature and the Invisible Man, but I'll buy the Inv. and Creature sets for sure!

bboisvert
06-22-04, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Abob Teff
Pictures of the Invisible Man bust are leaking all over the internet! This is so cool! Check out the pictures:

rotfl

The Exister
06-22-04, 11:47 AM
:banana::banana::banana:

JasonF
06-22-04, 12:16 PM
Neat. I probably won't get these -- I've got the Classic Monsters set from a few years ago, and I'm not a big enough fan to double dip just so I can pick up the sequels. That said, I think it's great that they are giving these films such a nice treatment.

Thunderball
06-22-04, 12:29 PM
I'm disappointed that I havent' bought the first one yet :(

pomodoro
06-22-04, 12:48 PM
Where are the pics of the bust?

JoeyOhhhh
06-22-04, 12:50 PM
This is great news, and I hope that they release another box set with busts.

The other thread mentions Phantom of the Opera in another region, any idea when thats coming out in Region 1?

MoviePage
06-22-04, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by pomodoro

In the new edition of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, right beside "gullible." Check 'em out!

Sessa17
06-22-04, 01:05 PM

rotfl

Good news. Creature from the Black Lagoon was always my favorite. Really hope these come in a crazy box set like the first set did.

pomodoro
06-22-04, 01:11 PM
ever heard of sarcasm?

that was a good one btw

here are some more pics:

Randy810
06-22-04, 02:28 PM
Thank Goodness, my wonderful husband pays for my addiction!!
I will be getting this set as well, even if there are no gimmicks like the busts with it. I LOVE HORROR MOVIES!

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

:johnwoo: :johnwoo: :johnwoo: :johnwoo:

Sessa17
06-22-04, 02:52 PM
ever heard of sarcasm?

No smiley face to avoid someone understanding you were going for sarcasm. I think it was a series question & you after 2 posts laughing at your question, you are now playing off as sarcasm so hahahaha rotfl

Abob Teff
06-22-04, 03:05 PM
No, no. It wasn't sarcasm! Check MoviePage's response for the real answers!

jmstone18
06-22-04, 03:18 PM
This is perfect, I just sold off Creature, Mummy and Invisible Man on Ebay for a combined $95. That should nicely pay for this and let me blow the rest on the DDD sale. This is going to be fantastic.

Cameron
06-22-04, 03:19 PM
Can't wait....

JLyon1515
06-23-04, 06:51 PM
Since someone said that the busts from the current Monster Legacy Collection were made from already made heads from Sideshow Collectibles, I thought I'd take a peek at what they had for The Creature, The Invisible Man, and The Mummy...here are the pictures...I'd expect the busts to be made from figures something like the ones pictured below.

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/4423.jpg http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/3208.jpg http://www.sideshowtoy.com/mas_assets/large/4417.jpg

pomodoro
06-23-04, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by jmstone18
This is perfect, I just sold off Creature, Mummy and Invisible Man on Ebay for a combined $95. That should nicely pay for this and let me blow the rest on the DDD sale. This is going to be fantastic.

how did you sell them if they weren't even out?

Its true guys, I fell for the dumb question. i was so excited to see the busts that...

chente
06-23-04, 07:36 PM
This is excellent news!

Mountain Biker
06-23-04, 11:53 PM
EXCELLENT news, I am SO buying this new set!

LivingINClip
06-24-04, 07:08 AM
Thank the good lord.

asianxcore
06-24-04, 05:43 PM
just a question. I was in Paris a couple weeks ago and I saw the Universal monster DVDs of The Mummy, Creature from The Black Lagoon, Invisible Man, and I THINK Phantom of the Opera (can't remember). They looked like the legacy DVDs of the wolfman and so on. Are these the ones being released in October (these ones I think only had 1 movie a piece)

JLyon1515
06-24-04, 09:43 PM
I believe those are releases of just each movie, not a set of each. So no, it's not the same thing...they just made the coverart to look like the Monster Legacy Collection. (I believe a link earlier in this thread goes to another forum where this very topic was discussed, but in Australia, not France.)

Or then again, I could be wrong.

jmstone18
06-25-04, 02:09 AM
how did you sell them if they weren't even out?

Its true guys, I fell for the dumb question. i was so excited to see the busts that...

I sold the original Universal release of these films. Saw the pictures of the Austrailian DVD covers and figured we would get a similar release for these films like we did for Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man.

Living Dead
06-25-04, 02:03 PM
Excellent.

Abob Teff
06-25-04, 02:28 PM
:brickwl: Holy crap! I should pay attention more often. I didn't realize that these had all of the movies in the series on them! I just thought it was the first movie! Damnit, now I have to go get them . . .

Scott Connors
06-25-04, 10:58 PM
I wish that Universal would release "The Lugosi Legacy," consisting of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "Island of Lost Souls," "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and maybe "Black Friday." Naturally, there should be commentariy tracks and a documentary, plus trailers. However, since it hasn't been done before, I doubt if it will ever materialize, much like the DVD of "Ed Wood!"
Best,
Scott Connors

Gore_Hound_X
06-25-04, 11:10 PM
I hope Universal taps there vaults for more Classic Horror, and these "Leagcy Collections" are a great way to get these oldies out on DVD. A Bela Lugosi Collection would be sweet, I also know they own a few Hammer Studios films and they are rumoured to be getting the "Franchised" either late this year or early next year.

Mike
07-01-04, 05:33 AM
I haven't found it mentioned anywhere else, but if I swap out my old individual Monster sets for the Legacy Collections, am I losing any features?

Thanks.

TomOpus
07-01-04, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by Mike
I haven't found it mentioned anywhere else, but if I swap out my old individual Monster sets for the Legacy Collections, am I losing any features?

Thanks. This thread (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360546) might answer your questions. :)

rexinnih
07-01-04, 08:10 AM
Time to make more room on the shelf.

evenswr
07-01-04, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Scott Connors
I wish that Universal would release "The Lugosi Legacy," consisting of "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," "Island of Lost Souls," "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and maybe "Black Friday."

I'd love a "Lugosi Legacy" set, but I'd think that "The Black Cat," "The Raven," "The Invisible Ray," and "Black Friday" should be released as a "Karloff & Lugosi Legacy" set. Actually, put in "The Body snatcher" as well, with the Robert Wise commentary from the laserdisc. I know the film wasn't originally a Universal title, but it would complete the set nicely.

I just can't imagine that Universal hasn't found a way to release these movies on DVD. They release classic horror titles and the sales are great. Then they re-release the same titles in different packaging and the sales are great. At least we're getting slightly more titles each time. Last time, we inexplicably didn't get House of Dracula or the Invisible Man/Creature sequels. Now, we're finally getting those, so maybe someday we'll see these other great titles released.

chente
07-01-04, 12:10 PM
I finally finished my Frankenstein Legacy Collection yesterday. I hope the releases are similar in quality as this was an outstanding purchase. Now to move on to the Wolfman Legacy.

I am particularly looking forward to the Creature from the Black Lagoon set. This first movie was a personal favorite from my childhood days.

joliom
07-07-04, 10:36 AM
Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets? Does anyone know how the movies are divided up? For instance, will it be Disc 1: Invisble Man, Disc 2: all 4 sequels? Or Disc 1: Invisible Man + Return, Disc 2: Woman & Agent?

evenswr
07-07-04, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by joliom
Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets? Does anyone know how the movies are divided up? For instance, will it be Disc 1: Invisble Man, Disc 2: all 4 sequels? Or Disc 1: Invisible Man + Return, Disc 2: Woman & Agent?
Probably the second one. I notice my Wolf Man set contains The Wolf Man and Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man on disc one...

unclehulot
07-07-04, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by evenswr
Actually, put in "The Body snatcher" as well, with the Robert Wise commentary from the laserdisc. I know the film wasn't originally a Universal title, but it would complete the set nicely.

As you say, this isn't Universal -- but WB apparently IS working on a Val Lewton box, and that will be a must! Especially for those of us that have kicked ourselves for not getting the Laser box from a few years ago.

RobCA
07-12-04, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by joliom
Are these all going to be 2-Disc sets? According to DVDTimes (http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12099), all but the Invisible Man set, which they're saying will be on 3 discs. According to them, all three Creature films will include audio commentary, while the Invisible Man and Mummy sets will include a featurette and commentary on the first film only. BTW, they also have the release date listed as 10/26, not 10/5.

Rob

evenswr
07-12-04, 03:00 PM
Here's the complete info from DVD Times ([URL=http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=12099):

Monster Legacy Collections Wave 2 in October
Universal Studios Home Video have announced the Region 1 DVD release of the second wave of their Monster Legacy Collections for 26th October 2004. Priced at $29.98 each are:

Creature From the Black Lagoon: The Legacy Collection - This two-disc set includes the three original movies presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features are as follows:

Disc One: Creature from the Black Lagoon
Back to the Black Lagoon
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Tom Weaver
Production Photographs
Theatrical Trailer
Disc Two: Revenge of the Creature
Feature Commentary with Cast Member Lori Nelson and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
Theatrical Trailer
Disc Three: The Creature Walks Among Us
Feature Commentary with Cast Member Gregg Palmer and Film Historians Tom Weaver and Bob Burns
Theatrical Trailer

The Invisible Man: The Legacy Collection - This three-disc set includes The Invisible Man, The Invisible Man Returns, The Invisible Woman, Invisible Agent and The Invisible Man's Revenge presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features accompanying the first movie are:
Now You See Him: The Invisible Man Revealed
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Rudy Behlmer
Production Photographs

The Mummy: The Legacy Collection - This two-disc set includes The Mummy (1932), The Mummy's Hand, The Mummy's Tomb, The Mummy's Ghost and The Mummy's Curse presented in Full Frame with English Mono audio and optional English, French and Spanish subtitles. Bonus features accompanying the first movie are:
Mummy Dearest: A Horror Tradition Unearthed
Feature Commentary with Film Historian Paul M. Jensen
Archives
Theatrical Trailer

TomOpus
07-12-04, 03:03 PM
Cool news... hoping to hear about another Collection set.

pezboy
07-12-04, 03:05 PM
Is that for the R1 or R2 release?

TomOpus
07-12-04, 03:09 PM
R1, according to evenswr's post above and the link provided bye RobCA above.

chente
07-12-04, 03:36 PM
Awesome news. I wonder why the Invisible Man set is 3-disk?

evenswr
07-12-04, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by chente
Awesome news. I wonder why the Invisible Man set is 3-disk?

Yeah, that is odd. The Invisible Man set and the Mummy set look like they'd take up about the same space (each has five movies, one featurette, one commentary), although I haven't looked up the actual running times for the movies...

RobCA
07-12-04, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RobCA
BTW, they [DVDTimes] also have the release date listed as 10/26, not 10/5. ...and now DVDAnswers has it listed as 10/19. http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de//nut.gif

Rob

JLyon1515
07-12-04, 10:52 PM
Man, I'd REALLY like to see these in another Legacy collection set with busts...finger, toes, arms, and legs all crossed. :)

darkside
07-13-04, 12:36 AM
I'm ready for these. Already sold my current copies of Mummy, the two Mummy double feature disc, Invisible Man and Creature From the Black Lagoon. Got $130 bucks for them, plenty of money for the new sets with cash left over for a couple of box sets.

Thunderball
07-13-04, 04:34 AM
I finally got the original box set with Dracula, Wolf Man and Frankenstein.

I look forward tot his set now.

stinkeye
07-20-04, 02:08 PM
coverart is up at digitalbits

evenswr
07-20-04, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by stinkeye
coverart is up at digitalbits

And stolen by me:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers2/mummylegacydvd.jpg

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers2/invisiblelegacydvd.jpg

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/miscgfx/covers2/creaturelegacydvd.jpg

Zman
07-20-04, 03:07 PM
I want another boxset with busts. Then I could have 6 busts and they would all be welcome in my home :)

TomOpus
07-20-04, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Zman
I want another boxset with busts. Then I could have 6 busts and they would all be welcome in my home :) :up:

mzupeman2
07-21-04, 08:25 AM
I'll still purchase these even if there isn't a box set, but I really hope for a boxset for these, even though it's going to be impossible for me to find room for it, lol :D

majorjoe23
07-21-04, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Zman
I want another boxset with busts. Then I could have 6 busts and they would all be welcome in my home :)

If I had 6 busts I would never leave my house.

The Antipodean
07-27-04, 05:15 PM
I'm so down for the Creature set, that looks fabaroonie.

ViewAskewbian
08-11-04, 04:42 PM
So, no word on a gift set with busts for these classics yet?

TomOpus
08-11-04, 05:35 PM
The tension keeps building....

JCFantasy23
08-11-04, 08:57 PM
I'm going to be a seriously PO'ed fan if these dont come with busts to complete the collection. Since Ive heard of these I've been dreaming completion box set dreams to no end. The movies themselves are good, too, but would feel ripped off if the whole enchilada wasn't on the menu.

JLyon1515
08-11-04, 11:08 PM
Is there an email address of Universal Home Video where we can express our desire that there should be busts for these as well? I mean, the busts of the 1st Monster Legacy Collection did EXTREMELY well...you'd think they'd listen.

ViewAskewbian
08-11-04, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by JLyon1515
Is there an email address of Universal Home Video where we can express our desire that there should be busts for these as well? I mean, the busts of the 1st Monster Legacy Collection did EXTREMELY well...you'd think they'd listen.

I believe they have a contact on their website. I am not holding out hope on a gift set just yet but seeing as how it has not been announced when the last one was announced almost instantly doesn't look good for us fans. Still, I will snag these and be happy to add them in the collection next to my Wolfman, Franky and Drac busts. If anything, I can have hours of fun telling my friends that the Invisable Man bust is right next to Dracula.

Tsar Chasm
08-30-04, 01:32 PM
Bump, any word on mini-busts in set #2?

majorjoe23
08-30-04, 01:53 PM
The Raving Toy Maniac site has a few posters who have contacts with Sideshow, one of them recently said it didn't look like the busts would be happening.

That's not gospel, but probably not a good sign either.

The Exister
08-30-04, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by majorjoe23
The Raving Toy Maniac site has a few posters who have contacts with Sideshow, one of them recently said it didn't look like the busts would be happening.

That's not gospel, but probably not a good sign either.

:mad:

Damage
08-30-04, 03:25 PM
I was under the impression that the original gift set w/busts was a huge success. I recall many DVDtalkers having a tough time tracking these down and some of us who ordered online had to wait a week or two due to backlogged orders. Seemed pretty popular with the public, doesn't make much sense not to do it again. I'm tempted NOT to order these sets out of fear the busts will be offered in a gift set at a later date.

cseyer
08-30-04, 03:40 PM
I bought the original giftset and would love to see another with this set of releases. If they dont I wont be in any hurry to pick these up, unless I find a great price.

CaseyB
08-30-04, 07:51 PM
Awwwwwwwwwwww! I wanted the busts again too! I know this is going to sound weird...especially since I'm in Hollywood...but how do you display your busts? Do any of you keep them in the box?

TomOpus
08-30-04, 08:07 PM
http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/traurig/sad-smiley-018.gif

Tsar Chasm
08-30-04, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by CaseyB
Awwwwwwwwwwww! I wanted the busts again too! I know this is going to sound weird...especially since I'm in Hollywood...but how do you display your busts? Do any of you keep them in the box?

I made a special 3 cup brassiere for mine.

Mountain Biker
08-30-04, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by ViewAskewbian
If anything, I can have hours of fun telling my friends that the Invisable Man bust is right next to Dracula.

:lol:

And yeah if the first wave was a huge success it makes no sense not to have them again...whatever, still looking forward to the new sets!

Pressplay
08-30-04, 10:43 PM
I'm gonna hold my purchase in protest, I really want a second gift set with busts. The first set looks very nifty in my HT room.

So I say: no go on the regular seperate editions, we want our toys!
Do you hear me Universal? Hellooooo?

gipal
01-07-05, 07:50 AM
What do you think about this?

http://utenti.lycos.it/gipal/legacy2.jpg

Cameron
01-07-05, 08:51 AM
i think someone needs to practice their photoshop skills.......The bust don't match the name plates, and lot of junk around the heads...clean it up

good idea in theory though

Jcheckel
01-07-05, 08:57 AM
i think someone needs to practice their photoshop skills.......The bust don't match the name plates, and lot of junk around the heads...clean it up

good idea in theory though

Photoshop?? Really?? I for one was looking forward to "The Monsteter Legacy DVI Legacy DVD Gift Set"

:lol::lol: