Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

This Week's CDs (6/21-25)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Plus, the ever popular question, what do you think of the stuff on your list?

DJ Shadow - In Tune and On Time Live Great that they included the CD as well, but the DVD is incredible. I went to one of the shows from this tour. One of the most unique shows I've ever seen, and it's great to have it memorialized on CD and DVD.

Soul Coughing - Live Rennes, France
Soul Coughing - Live Tokyo, Japan
Soul Coughing - Live Rarities Found these official bootlegs this weekend. I've always loved Soul Coughing, and these guys put on an incredible live show. Very excited to pick these up. The Tokyo show is especially good.

Phish - Undermind Phish's best studio album? Possibly. Good to see them going out on a high note. Some fans have bitched that "Connection" and "Crowd Control" are too poppy, light and catchy. Whatever. I love this disc (and the free DVD it comes with is one hell of a documentary).

The Killers - Hot Fuss From Las Vegas and possibly the next big thing. Duran Duran meets Interpol. "Somebody Told Me" and "Mr. Brightside" are almost criminally infectious.

Beulah - Yoko I listen to this album so much. Thought about them breaking up and pulled it out this morning. Sad that these guys and Phish (two of my favorite bands) are going away this year.

I'll also be buying A Ghost Is Born tomorrow...
Old 06-21-04, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wilco - a ghost is born

(!!!)
Old 06-21-04, 05:36 PM

David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust

The Clash - London Calling

Faust - s/t and So Far

Just got in the mail:

B.C Gilbert - Ordier

Solo album from Wire guitarist. I'll probably give this one a listen to in a little bit. Comes in a nice little wood box.

William Basinski - The River

Been looking forward to getting my hands on more of Basinski's stuff after hearing his incredible 'Disintegration Loops' albums earlier this year.
Old 06-21-04, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Wilco for me, plus I think I might pick up the Modest Mouse CD, I've heard good things about it and like Float On
Old 06-21-04, 08:01 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Hope of the States - great music but the lead singer cant sing on tune to save his life.
Old 06-22-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I purchased all of these yesterday, so they'll be picked through over the course of the week. I know that I'll like 4/5s of these-- the one I'm not sure about is XTC. Skylarking doesn't do too much for me, but I heard that English Settlement is a different affair. (And it only cost me $5.50.)

The Kinks, Kinda Kinks LP
Nina Simone, Here Comes the Sun LP
Talking Heads, 77 & Fear of Music LPs
XTC, English Settlement LP

Also, in the car and otherwise--

Thinking Fellers Union Local 282, Strangers From the Universe CD
US Maple, Talker CD
The High Llamas, Retrospective, Rarities, and Instrumentals 2xCD

The TFUL and US Maple picks were from a used bin run last week. I like both of them, although the USM disc is taking more time to grow on me. I think I mentioned that I found this High Llamas disc in the radio station's reject bin around midwinter. I think that is why I didn't like it so much the first couple times: it's totally a summer album.
Old 06-22-04, 04:25 PM

Wilco - A Ghost Is Born
L. v. Beethoven - Op. 18, #s 1 & 5 (String Quartets)
v/a - Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters (vol. 1, Dancing Cat)
Moby - Play
The Thrills - So Much For The City

I'm only halfway through the Wilco -- 5 full tracks through, my definite favorite is "Spiders (Kidsmoke)". Beethoven's string quartets are just things of beauty to listen to and play. Dancing Cat's Hawaiian slack key guitar compilations are excellent, excellent places to learn more about this (generally) mellow music (good work soundtrack). Play is also good background music. And I'm really digging the Thrills CD, which I've monopolized from the library. I'm just mad that I forgot to put the album on my list of discs to look for when I went out to my local used record shop at lunch to buy the Wilco CD. (I also finally bought the reissue of the Jayhawks' Blue Earth.)
Old 06-22-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've listened to English Settlement about 4 times now since I posted this afternoon and wow! this threw me hard. I liked it so much that I went back to my Skylarking CD-R only to find that I still don't like it, but I'm more than happy just to listen to this one.

My favorite Wilco track (and maybe one of my all-time favorite Wilco tracks) is definitely "At Least That's What You Said." Overall, I think that it's a strong album but not one that I expect to sweat at the end of the year.
Old 06-22-04, 09:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, fallow and SAShepard, I agree with both of you. I've listened to A Ghost Is Born twice now, and my two favorite tracks are "At Least That's What You Said" and "Spiders (Kidsmoke)".

BTW, my two favorite Wilco tracks are "Candyfloss" and "I Am Trying to Break Your Heart." Nothing on AGIB is reaching those heights for me yet.
Old 06-22-04, 10:21 PM

English Settlement is a really great album. I'd highly recommend the album that came before it, Black Sea. I think I might like it even more than English Settlement, but it's hard to say. All I know is I should listen to both of them (as well as my other Xtc) more than I do.
Old 06-23-04, 04:00 PM

Perfect - When Squirrels Play Chicken
I wish their full length album would finally be released

Poster Children - Just Like You EP
Great band that not too many people know about.

Sparklehorse - VivaDixieSubmarineTranmissionPlot
It's time for a new album

Superchunk - Here's Where the Strings Come In
One of my favorite bands
Old 06-24-04, 04:41 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
- The Killers - Hot Fuse (wow! what a fun album)

- Q magazine's Glastonbury CD (kind of a cheat since the songs featured are off of their respected albums and not live versions of the songs).

- Action Figure Party

- Supergrass 'In It For the Money'

Last edited by Giles; 06-24-04 at 05:16 PM.