Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Has MTV given up on identifying videos?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm lying here sick watching videos and they aren't identifying any of the artists, songs or albums at all. It's like they just forgot to add the little info bits. I'd actually like to know what some of this crap is but it doesn't say. I feel like I've noticed this other times as well. Very silly.
Old 06-21-04, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Dude, I gave up on MTV a long, long time ago.

1. They don't even hardly play videos anymore, let alone letting you know what they are.
2. Most of the music they do (sometimes) play and talk about can barely qualify as music anymore. It's all commercialized, sponsored, pre-packaged corporate crap that has no heart, feeling, passion...and takes barely any talent to crank it out.
3. MTV is all about shows and commercials now, and less and less about the music. MTV and their advertisers want to tease you and entice you with as little as they can, to make you go out and buy whatever they've decided is cool this week, whether it's music, clothes, food/drink...whatever.

That's my little rant for the day.
Old 06-21-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts
I can't tell you the last time I saw a video on MTV. Seriously, it's been years. MTV2 (formerly M2) used to be great. But they show mostly rap now. When videos are played that is. Slowly, they are bringing non-music related shows on there now too. I say get rid of both channels. Please.
Old 06-21-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree with all of the above. However, they were showing videos earlier and I found myself wondering
a) what's the name of the Modest Mouse song/album
b) what's the name of the band with the yarn video by Michel Gondry

Both are excellent (they started in with the Britney after that and I shut the TV off) and I'll obviously have to get the info elsewhere. It just seems so stupid to play the vids without the credits. Whatever.
Old 06-21-04, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
I agree with all of the above. However, they were showing videos earlier and I found myself wondering
a) what's the name of the Modest Mouse song/album
Song: Float On
Album: "Good News for People Who Like Bad News"
Old 06-21-04, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see videos on MTV all the time (not including TRL).

For the week of June 6 through June 12 this is how many times these videos were played on MTV (I have to look them up individually so Im trying to think of videos I HAVE seen):

Usher "Burn" - 29
Britney Spears "Everytime" - 25
Hilary & Haylie Duff "Our Lips Are Sealed" - 6
Beyonce "Naughty Girl" - 9
Ashlee Simpson "Pieces of Me" - 12
Beastie Boys "Ch-Check It Out" - 28
Hoobastank "The Reason" - 28

And they aren't being played 20+ times jsut in the overnight hours they play videos or 20+ times TRL repeats (especially since I doubt Beasties are on TRL).

MTV plays videos at night, in the morning, and throughout the day. Sometimes my program guide will say something like "Newlyweds" for a repeat but a block of videos are aired instead.

MTV is playing videos, just maybe not ones you like:
http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=16023

Also, when I see videos, I cannot think of a time I didnt see the bottom left hand thing with the Artist, Song, etc. or that scrolling thing on TRL.

Last edited by nightwing82; 06-21-04 at 12:41 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

pretty much for me if its played on MTV I won't like it anyway so I don't worry about it, let them go on playing their hip hop pop nonsense while I'll be listening to Saxon!!
Old 06-21-04, 01:07 PM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Gil Jawetz
b) what's the name of the band with the yarn video by Michel Gondry
Steriogram. Album is Schmack!, song is Walkie Talkie Man.
Old 06-22-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
If you want videos, you need MTV HITS and VH1 CLASSIC on digital cable

24/7 videos, commercial free
Old 06-22-04, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for the info.

And this thread was never about MTV not playing videos. They do play them sometimes (and were playing them at the time I posted). The thread was supposed to be about how they didn't seem to be IDENTIFYING the videos... They were all missing the credits. No band info, no song titles, no album titles, no director or record label.
Old 06-22-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by demonio
pretty much for me if its played on MTV I won't like it anyway so I don't worry about it, let them go on playing their hip hop pop nonsense while I'll be listening to Saxon!!
Ironically, MTV made me a Saxon fan! MTV used to play Saxon all the time back in '82 in regular rotation!
Old 06-22-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
I was surfing last night trying to fall asleep, and I watched a couple of videos without the info. I don't make it a habit of watching MTV, but when I do I like to know who it is so maybe I can buy their album?
Old 06-22-04, 06:19 PM

Yeah, not having any of the artist info is incredibly annoying. I don't get the point of it.

Remember when MTV had those commercials for MTV2, where guys would walk around and throw TVs and people and say, "You want videos? There you go." I swear, everytime I turn to MTV2, it's a damn show, not music videos.