Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why move the "Post your DDD purchases..." thread to Store Forum?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The purpose of the thread is NOT to discuss the store, but the BARGAINS.

By this logic, all those weekly threads about next week's Best Buy Ads (for example) should be in the Store Forum since they are "about a store".
Old 06-19-04, 09:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The thread probably should've just been closed, since it's essentially a duplicate of "What did you buy this week?" in the Main forum. Yes, this is a special event, but in my opinion, the less threads in which people post list after list after list with minimal actual discussion, the better.
Old 06-19-04, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moved it to the store forum, as the 'what did you order' threads almost always becomes a discussion of order status and order issues (if there are any).
Old 06-20-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, first of all, I understand why the thread was moved to the store forum, and I don't disagree at all, for the most part. Geoffrey stated his reasons, and they made sense, and are understood. However, I do disagree with the following:

Originally posted by Static Cling
The thread probably should've just been closed, since it's essentially a duplicate of "What did you buy this week?" in the Main forum. Yes, this is a special event, but in my opinion, the less threads in which people post list after list after list with minimal actual discussion, the better.
Completely disagree with the above for the following reasons:

1. It is, by no means, a duplicate of the "what did you buy this week" thread, as that is not what that thread is about. In fact, there is no "what did you buy this week thread." There is only a "what NEW RELEASES will you be buying on the particular street date" poll thread, which is a COMPLETELY different ballgame. The weekly poll thread is asking about DVD Talkified links for NEW RELEASES, not random purchases this not so random week.

2. Yes, this is a special event, but in my opinion, the less threads in which people post list after list after list with minimal actual discussion, the better.

This begs a simple question: Why? Why would closing a list after list of bargains listed in the proper forum be right, or in this case, "better"?

Unfortunately, your opinion, if followed to the T, would eliminate nearly all specific price pointed threads in the Bargain forum (including the valuable Costco and DDD price drops threads), which are generally just lists of "bargains", which, correct me if I'm wrong, but is one of the great things of the bargain forum inthe first place. Thankfully, your opinion is not the basis of the forum rules, and thus the bargain forum continues to exist.

3. "Actual Discussion" is fairly limited when the topic of the forum is "Bargains". The exact quote of the content of the bargain forum is as follows:

Post and Discuss DVD Related Bargains including DVD Clubs and STL

By "Post and Discuss" I can safely assume that this means that the posting of specific bargains is what this forum is for (along with discussion of said bargains, of course). If this involves posting a "list after list" then so be it, as it is still within the realm of the purpose of the Bargain forum.

4. As quoted by Mr. Klienman this "special event" as you call it, Static, is actually "The Biggest DVD Sale of The Year - Don't Miss it or You'll Kick Yourself Till Xmas"

5. As we all know, DDD has rock bottom prices. More often then not, some "special gems" that may have been missed may go overlooked unless someone posts the specific bargain. Speaking from personal experience, I originally was going to spend about $150 on this sale (giving DVDTalk full credit, of course), but because I read the "Post your DDD orders" thread, I ended up breaking the wallet with over $500 in DDD purchases. Had that thread been "closed" I more then likely would not have been tipped off to better deals to be had.

6. There have been several times when threads have been "closed for duplicate" where the duplication is minimal or extremely subjective. Also, thread mergings that simply should not have occurred, and would have been avoided if the thread had been read in its entirity and not just the title. I am simply saying that closing or merging a thread is not always the answer, but it seems that it gets done more often then it needs to.

Last edited by LasVegasMichael; 06-20-04 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-28-04, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Now that the sale is over, I thought I'd come back here to make a few observations.

Re the following by Static Cling:

"<b>The thread probably should've just been closed, since it's essentially a duplicate of "What did you buy this week?" in the Main forum. Yes, this is a special event, but in my opinion, the less threads in which people post list after list after list with minimal actual discussion, the better."</b>

The weekly "what did you buy" thread focuses on the 100-150 new titles being released for a given week; the DDD sale involves probably over 15,000 titles, hardly the same thing. And as for "discussion" - the lists in this case <i>are</i> the "discussion" in the sense that ideas and information are being passed along.

As for Geoff's observation:

<b>"Moved it to the store forum, as the 'what did you order' threads almost always becomes a discussion of order status and order issues (if there are any)"</b>

Did you notice that the main thread for this sale in the Bargains forum became a mixture of discussion, issues and "what I ordered" once the original "what I ordered" thread was moved? Probably because many people would not think of looking for a thread about getting bargains in the Store forum.

Last edited by marty888; 06-28-04 at 08:38 AM.