Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Star Trek: Generations SE details

Grabastic
06-18-04, 07:00 PM
direct from Digital Bits

Look for the 2-disc set to include the film in anamorphic widescreen video (1.85:1) with Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio (no kidding). Disc One will include audio commentary by screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, along with another text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda. Disc Two will include The Star Trek Universe section (A Tribute to Matt Jefferies, The Enterprise Lineage, Captain Picard's Family Album and Creating 24th Century Weapons), the Production section (Uniting Two Legends, Stellar Cartography: Creating the Illusion and Strange New Worlds: The Valley of Fire), the Visual Effects section (Inside ILM: Models and Miniatures and Crashing the Enterprise), the Scene Deconstruction section (Main Title Sequence, The Nexus Ribbon, Saucer Crash Sequence), the Deleted Scenes section (Orbital Skydiving, Walking the Plank, Christmas with the Picards and Alternate Ending) and an Archives section (storyboards, a production gallery, and the teaser and theatrical trailers). All in all, looks like a damn fine DVD.

good to see they're including the alternate ending. looking forward to seeing that.

Buckaroo Banzai
06-18-04, 07:26 PM
This is fantastic news! I've been waiting for this disc for what seems like forever. I am also looking forward to the deleted scenes.

But a DTS track? Way to go Paramount.

Ian

NitroJMS
06-18-04, 07:45 PM
1.85:1? My widescreen VHS copy is closer to 2.35:1. I hope that's just a typo.

Rammsteinfan
06-18-04, 08:33 PM
So does that mean we get an insert this time? ;)

Doughboy
06-18-04, 08:37 PM
Figures Paramount wouldn't offer DTS for the films starring the original crew, which are the only ones I ever wanted to own. Oh well, I just hope this is a sign they're willing to support DTS audio on more of their titles.

Tom Woodward
06-18-04, 09:21 PM
Paramount hasn't actually issued an official press release yet, so as far as I know the specs are from DVDEmpire at the moment. Not sure how reliable they are for disc specs! The official artwork is here (http://www.dvdanswers.com/index.php?r=0&s=1&c=4177) though if you're interested...

purplechoe
06-18-04, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Doughboy
Figures Paramount wouldn't offer DTS for the films starring the original crew, which are the only ones I ever wanted to own. Oh well, I just hope this is a sign they're willing to support DTS audio on more of their titles.

MOFO please, DTS on TOS movies, are you on crack?

milo bloom
06-18-04, 10:39 PM
I know Undiscovered Country at least would sound great in DTS.

This release is very good. Only thing more we could have asked for is a director's cut. Seriously, looking at the specs on the bits, with that other space opera just below it, I kinda looking forward to this more than "those".

Fok
06-19-04, 12:45 AM
Looking forward to this one, hopefully the alternative ending is similar to the book. I'll probably buy the all the next gen SE (expect for part 9).

BlackBeauty92
06-19-04, 03:02 AM
:drool: Star Trek DTS :drool:

QuiGonJosh
06-19-04, 05:52 AM
Damn it! I bet they'll rerelease 1-6 in DTS now...bastards! I could care less about the TNG movies...

FatTony
06-19-04, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by Fok
Looking forward to this one, hopefully the alternative ending is similar to the book. I'll probably buy the all the next gen SE (expect for part 9).
It's been a really long time since I've read it, but didn't the story in the book involve the borg?

Fielding Mellish
06-19-04, 08:17 AM
Considering the current state of "the franchise" (God, I hate that word.), combined with the fact I've already bought individual releases of TOS, this'll probably be the final Trek DVD I'll buy in a long, long time.

A depressing thought.

Adrenaline
06-19-04, 08:30 AM
Sweet, DTS if it's true but why not on the earlier ones like VI?

josepotato
06-19-04, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by FatTony
It's been a really long time since I've read it, but didn't the story in the book involve the borg?

I think that's a Shatner book that takes place after Generations.

Rammsteinfan
06-19-04, 12:46 PM
Yeah, that was the Shatner book where he is resurrected after Generations... i forget the title though.,

Edit: its called THE RETURN.

Journeying to the gravesite of James Kirk, a mourning Spock is alarmed when he learns that the Borg have brought Kirk back to life for the purpose of hunting down and killing Jean-Luc Picard.

book description:
Veridian III: A world has been saved, the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D lies in ruins, and one of the galaxy's greatest heroes rests beneath a simple cairn of rocks on a lonely hillside. But as a legendary Vulcan ambassador comes at last to the grave of his best and dearest friend, the adventure is only beginning.

The Borg and the Romulan Empire have joined forces against the Federation, and their ultimate weapon is none other than James T. Kirk, resurrected by alien science to destroy the Borg's most formidable enemy: Jean-Luc Picard.

Rammsteinfan
06-19-04, 12:53 PM
Davis DVD has this up for specs...

Paramount, PG, 117 min, $19.99, 09.07.04
Video: Anamorphic Widescreen (2.40:1)
Audio: English (Dolby Digital 5.1); English (Dolby Digital 2.0); English (DTS 5.1)
Audio Commentary with screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ronald Moore; Text Commentary with Michael and Denise Okuda; The Star Trek Universe (A Tribute to Matt Jefferies, The Enterprise Lineage, Captain Picard's Family Album, Creating 24th Century Weapons); Production Uniting Two Legends; Stellar Cartography: Creating the Illusion; Strange New Worlds: The Valley of Fire; Visual Effects: Inside ILM - Models and Miniatures; Crashing the Enterprise; Scene Deconstructions: "Main Title Sequence," "The Nexus Ribbon," "Saucer Crash Sequence;" Deleted Scenes: (Orbital Skydiving, Walking the Plank, Christmas with the Picards, Alternate Ending); Storyboards; Production Gallery; Teaser Trailers; Theatrical Trailers (this is a two-disc set)

Lara Means
06-19-04, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan

book description:
Veridian III: A world has been saved, the U.S.S. Enterprise 1701-D lies in ruins, and one of the galaxy's greatest heroes rests beneath a simple cairn of rocks on a lonely hillside. But as a legendary Vulcan ambassador comes at last to the grave of his best and dearest friend, the adventure is only beginning.

The Borg and the Romulan Empire have joined forces against the Federation, and their ultimate weapon is none other than James T. Kirk, resurrected by alien science to destroy the Borg's most formidable enemy: Jean-Luc Picard.

Wow, this really sounds horrible! Just how the hell does Spock go to Kirk's grave? I know Vulcan's have long life, but they don't live forever!

Alvis
06-19-04, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by Fielding Mellish
Considering the current state of "the franchise" (God, I hate that word.), combined with the fact I've already bought individual releases of TOS, this'll probably be the final Trek DVD I'll buy in a long, long time.

A depressing thought.

I'll be getting this one as I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, I feel your pain as First Contact will be the last Star Trek DVD I'll be buying. I already sold my Insurrection bare bones dvd and don't plan on replacing it. As for Nemesis, I didn't care for it either.

AOD
06-19-04, 09:11 PM
Star Trek news from VB...

"A flood of titles will let loose on Aug. 31. Those include: an eight-disc collector's set of the first season of the original Star Trek series, the first season of Touched By An Angel and the South Park episode "The Passion of the Jew" (on the same day as Fox's DVD debut of The Passion of the Christ). Also set for the last day of August are the second season of I Love Lucy, Survivor All-Stars and special editions of the movies The White Dawn, Twisted and Trekkies 2, among others.

Trekkies also will be thrilled to see the rest of Paramount's slate, which includes the two-disc, seven-episode Star Trek: The Next Generation--Jean-Luc Picard Collection (Aug. 3). And in Sept., there's Star Trek Generations--Special Collector's Editions, and Star Trek: Voyager--The Complete Fourth Season."

Grabastic
06-19-04, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Lara Means
Wow, this really sounds horrible! Just how the hell does Spock go to Kirk's grave? I know Vulcan's have long life, but they don't live forever!

Vulcans age quite well. Spock was alive and appeared in the 5th Season TNG episodes Unification 1 and 2. that was about 2 years before the events in Generations. TNG takes place about 90 or so years after the events in the first 6 films. i think most Vulcans are supposed to live something like 200 years, so it's reasonable that Spock could live to see Kirk's grave.

Rammsteinfan
06-19-04, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I think he was like 130 or so in the TNG unification episode...

Defiant1
06-19-04, 11:53 PM
I wonder if this means that First Contact and Insurrection will have DTS as well.

You'd have to pay me to get me to buy Insurrection though. That one sucked.

Admiral7
06-21-04, 07:27 PM
I can't believe the people who disliked "Insurrection" actually liked "Generations," which, to me, is the 2nd worst Star Trek movie of them all, next to Star Trek 5. The first half of the movie had great promise and just deteriorated into a big steaming pile of crap.

Bringing back the legendary Captain Kirk from the Nexus so that he can have a fist fight???? What the hell??? And bringing him back only moments Soran can execute his plan, rather than buying himself some time. Ludicrous!!! The greatest love of Kirk's life being some woman we've never heard of, when it clearly should have been Dr. Carol Marcus!!! Ludricrous!!! Riker walking out of Picard's ready room into an absolute black hole (which should have been the Bridge). Did someone not pay the electric bill on the Enterprise D? Ludicrous!!!

That said, I thought that "First Contact" definitely belongs in the top two or three of the entire movie series (alongside "Wrath of Khan" and "The Undiscovered Country.")

Defiant1
06-21-04, 08:50 PM
But Insurrection had the backdrop of the Dominion War and all of the amazing stories that could have been told but instead was about some lame hippie aliens and their fountain of youth.

According to Digital Bits, Paramount has confirmed that DTS will be a feature as well as DD 5.1 EX.

Dazed
06-21-04, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Rammsteinfan
Yeah, I think he was like 130 or so in the TNG unification episode...
And he looked it too :)

I may buy this as Generations and First Contact were the only decent TNG films.

ENDContra
06-22-04, 03:56 AM
Already sold my copy of Generations on Ebay (for more than I paid for it, thanks Columbia House :) ). Yeah, Insurrection was crap, but Final Frontier was even worse and I already bought that...I just think it would be ashame not to have all 10 SEs together :)

Josh Z
06-22-04, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Admiral7
I can't believe the people who disliked "Insurrection" actually liked "Generations," which, to me, is the 2nd worst Star Trek movie of them all, next to Star Trek 5. The first half of the movie had great promise and just deteriorated into a big steaming pile of crap.

The first hour of Generations was pretty good, which is an hour more than Insurrection has going for it. Even the second half is punctuated with cool scenes such as the saucer section crash. Kirk's death scene is pretty bad and the movie's plot as a whole isn't so great, but it still ranks for me solidly in the middle of the pack, well above The Final Frontier, Insurrection or even The Voyage Home (the most overrated Trek movie by far).

ThatGuamGuy
06-22-04, 11:08 AM
i think most Vulcans are supposed to live something like 200 years, so it's reasonable that Spock could live to see Kirk's grave.

Considering that Spock's *father* was still alive until the third or fourth season of 'Next Generation', I don't think it's much of a stretch that he's alive. Hell, McCoy was still alive in 'Next Gen'!

And if the book is about Romulans and Borgs teaming up (stupid idea), it'd make sense that Spock would be involved, since he was left off on Romulus last we saw him (in 'Unification' pt 2).

Shannon Nutt
06-22-04, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Josh Z
The first hour of Generations was pretty good, which is an hour more than Insurrection has going for it. Even the second half is punctuated with cool scenes such as the saucer section crash. Kirk's death scene is pretty bad and the movie's plot as a whole isn't so great, but it still ranks for me solidly in the middle of the pack, well above The Final Frontier, Insurrection or even The Voyage Home (the most overrated Trek movie by far).

Kirk's death isn't as bad as the FIRST version in which
he was shot in the back!
But at least the first version explains why his burial site is on top of a mountain when he died down in a gully (Jean-Luc dragged the body up there?!)

Actually, Shatner totally STEALS this movie from the TNG actors - showing the difference between television actors and movie stars. It's probably no secret why they kept him almost exclusively with Stewart in his scenes - he's the only one in the cast who could keep up with Shatner's charisma. Don't believe me...take Captain Kirk out of the plot and THEN how boring a film is this?!

Chew
06-22-04, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
Don't believe me...take Captain Kirk out of the plot and THEN how boring a film is this?!

Soran kept me going when Kirk wasn't on the screen. ;)

The Antipodean
08-24-04, 07:35 PM
Hey, only 2 weeks til this comes out. Even if it's not the best Trek movie (and I even like "Insurrection") I'm going to get it, it had a lot of good moments mixed with not-so-good ones.

Lara Means
08-24-04, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Shannon Nutt
But at least the first version explains why his burial site is on top of a mountain when he died down in a gully (Jean-Luc dragged the body up there?!)

I want to see a deleted scene of Picard dragging Kirk's fatass all the way up there. The only explanation I want for this movie is where the hell did Picard find enough rocks to cover Kirk's giant stomach?

Daniel L
08-24-04, 08:00 PM
A little off topic, but can someone explain to me how Spock, Sarek, McCoy, and Scotty ended up in TNG? What happened to them there? I'm a new fan of the original 6 films and would like to know the stories behind these characters' appearances some 90 years in the future.

Mike Lowrey
08-24-04, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Daniel L
A little off topic, but can someone explain to me how Spock, Sarek, McCoy, and Scotty ended up in TNG? What happened to them there? I'm a new fan of the original 6 films and would like to know the stories behind these characters' appearances some 90 years in the future.

Well, that's a bit much to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

OK, Vulcans live to be several hundred years old. So this explains how Spock and Sarek can make it to the 24th Century. I'm not a real big expert on dates here, but IIRC, the original movies take place around the 2280s-90s, and the TNG, DS9, and VOY series take place in the 2340s or so. I could be wrong on that. I'm too lazy to check right now for sure.

Also, Tuvok from VOY was also around at the time of Star Trek VI. He was aboard the Excelsior during the Praxis explosion.

McCoy on the other hand is a real old man of I think 120 or so by the time of the TNG pilot. That's possible I guess in the 24th Century.

Scotty on the other hand, appeared in the 6th season episode Relics as not much older than he was in the original 6 films because he went on a mission in a shuttle-like ship and was marooned on the surface of a giant sphere that contained an entire solar system. He put himself into the transporter's memory buffers as a form of stasis.

Rammsteinfan
08-24-04, 08:57 PM
I kept my insert from the first release just in case... ;)

ReduxGuy
08-24-04, 11:02 PM
To semi-quote Shannon Elizabeth in Scary Movie:

"Oh, f**k Generations! I want First Contact!"

As long as First Contact and Nemesis have DTS, I'll be happy.

milo bloom
08-24-04, 11:51 PM
I had the widescreen VHS in my hands this past weekend. So looking forward to this.

jpw908
08-25-04, 12:19 AM
We need a re-edited version in which Kirk doesn't die.

Rammsteinfan
08-25-04, 01:07 AM
I think Shatner would agree with you 100%....

Lara Means
08-25-04, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
Tuvok from VOY was also around at the time of Star Trek VI. He was aboard the Excelsior during the Praxis explosion.

This is bullcrap.

1) Star Trek loves to reuse actors for their tv shows and movies.

2) The actor who played Tuvok, Tim Russ, was at the beginning of Star Trek Generations...NOT Trek 6.

3) He wasn't even playing Tuvok. You can tell by his accent, his makeup, and his lack of Vulcan ears! You want proof? Check out the DVD at 11 minutes 19 seconds.

THX7966
08-25-04, 02:37 AM
This is bullcrap.

2) The actor who played Tuvok, Tim Russ, was at the beginning of Star Trek Generations...NOT Trek 6.

3) He wasn't even playing Tuvok. You can tell by his accent, his makeup, and his lack of Vulcan ears! You want proof? Check out the DVD at 11 minutes 19 seconds.

Jeez, relax. What Mike Lowrey is referring to is the Voyager episode "Flashback," in which Tuvok reveals that he was aboard the Excelsior when Praxis exploded. It was basically a plot device to get George Takei as a guest star using flashbacks. So no, Tim Russ wasn't in ST VI. But Tuvok was supposedly there (but not shown).

Buck Turgidson
08-25-04, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Josh Z

Pretty much my opinion, as well. I really like Generations and find it to be, on the whole, underrated.

I really thought that I alone, of the 5 Billion people on Earth, felt that way about The Voyage Home :wave:

Chew
08-25-04, 08:02 AM
This is bullcrap.

http://www.leola.fslife.co.uk/flashback2/flash19.jpg

raven56706
08-25-04, 09:46 AM
Awesome news.... not to mention the trailers..... i thought Generations trailer was awesome

Rivero
08-25-04, 12:09 PM
My thoughts throughout Generations on my initial viewing:

Opening scene with Kirk, Chekov, Scotty: Pretty cool. Grade: B+ so far.

Data's emotion chip: a clumsy plot device and lazy way to get Geordi eventually captured and propel the story. Unfunny scenes as well. Grade: B-

End of the Enterprise D: Another device created just so they could let go of the past and get a shiny new ship in the next one. Still, the scene is terrific and should sound awesome on the new dvd. Grade: Shoots up to a B+

Picard getting his ass beat around some rocky mountains for 20 minutes: The formulaic nature and flatness of the premise really becomes apparent here and you start to think "Oh where the hell is Kirk already?" Grade: B

Picard swept into the Nexus: Surprisingly effective scene. Not quite what I expected, and Picard should have come to his senses through his own sheer willpower without help from Whoopi Goldberg, but it works well and the music is great. Grade: B+

The two Captains ride horses: they meet in a somewhat purile manner but it's great seeing the two together. Baldie vs. Super-rug. Toupee or not Toupee. Shatner outshines Picard in every way. Grade: A-

Kirk's Death: You have got to be f**king kidding me. THIS is how they send off the Kirkster?? By falling into a ravine with a collapsed bridge!!? Unforgivable. An ignoble end for a character fans have loved for 30 years.

Final Grade: C

ken_572002
08-25-04, 12:18 PM
Loved the first 15 minutes of the film, with some of TOS crew on board.

Shatner's response to the inexperienced captain was great"

"Let me guess....next Tuesday".

After this, the film went WAY downhill.

ThatGuamGuy
08-25-04, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
McCoy on the other hand is a real old man of I think 120 or so by the time of the TNG pilot. That's possible I guess in the 24th Century.

I think he's even more than that, but, yeah, they're saying that human life span gets longer as medical technology improves.

Or maybe it's just that his molecules stayed younger by not getting tossed all around the galaxy.

Numanoid
08-25-04, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by THX7966
Jeez, relax. What Mike Lowrey is referring to is the Voyager episode "Flashback," in which Tuvok reveals that he was aboard the Excelsior when Praxis exploded. It was basically a plot device to get George Takei as a guest star using flashbacks. So no, Tim Russ wasn't in ST VI. But Tuvok was supposedly there (but not shown). http://www.t.halobrigade.com/pictures/owned!!!111!.jpg

Shazam
08-25-04, 01:32 PM
Don't be too harsh on her. She's obviously never seen Voyager. That or she blocked it from her mind. Who can blame her?

TK-421
08-25-04, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by ken_572002
Shatner's response to the inexperienced captain was great"

"Let me guess....next Tuesday".

I was a little disappointed that they made the Captain of the Enterprise B look like an incompetent boob. You would think the way everyone talks about being on the Enterprise as a great honor, and the way the other Captains have been shown that they would've made him out to be at least competent.

Lara Means
08-25-04, 03:48 PM
uh, yes I saw that godawful episode of Voyager with Tuvok with Sulu. The only reason why they did that shitty episode was because ratings were piss poor and to celebrate some Trek anniversary. Which is why they also did that superior tribbles episode on DS9. Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that. Also, i consider Voyager to be the worst Trek show of all time. The End.

adamblast
08-25-04, 04:14 PM
uh, yes I saw that godawful episode of Voyager with Tuvok with Sulu. The only reason why they did that shitty episode was because ratings were piss poor and to celebrate some Trek anniversary. Which is why they also did that superior tribbles episode on DS9. Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that. Also, i consider Voyager to be the worst Trek show of all time. The End. And we don't much care what your opinion is. Someone asked a question about **Trek history**, and Mike accurately answered it, whether you like the answer or not. What are you, 12?

Hokeyboy
08-25-04, 05:11 PM
Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship. Simple as that. So on a ship housing, say, 300 people, any officer or crewman not on the bridge 24/7 is "not on the ship"?

Pretty spurious thinking.

MvRojo
08-27-04, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by raven56706
Awesome news.... not to mention the trailers..... i thought Generations trailer was awesome

Then you'll probably be mad that they actually aren't included in the set according to reviews from DigitalBits and Trekweb.

Chew
08-27-04, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by MvRojo
Then you'll probably be mad that they actually aren't included in the set according to reviews from DigitalBits and Trekweb.

Paramount -ohbfrank-

darmok
08-27-04, 04:38 PM
no trailers, really?? damn, i have to hold onto the old one then??

buckee1
08-27-04, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by darmok
no trailers, really?? damn, i have to hold onto the old one then??

I don't think the non SE had a trailer either.

chanster
08-27-04, 08:05 PM
Can anyone explain why they jumped out of the Nexus with about 10 seconds left before the thingy bopper fired? I never understood that..before that the movie was decent..and then that happened and then the lame Kirk death

Grabastic
08-27-04, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by chanster
Can anyone explain why they jumped out of the Nexus with about 10 seconds left before the thingy bopper fired? I never understood that..before that the movie was decent..and then that happened and then the lame Kirk death

**SPOILERS FOLLOW**

the nice answer to that question is that they needed to defeat Soran and kill Kirk at the same time. if they went back, say to when Picard meets with Soran in 10 Forward at the beginning of the movie, and took care of Soran there, then Kirk wouldn't die, the Enterprise wouldn't blow up, the Duras sisters would live, etc, etc. Kirk would probably go live with Scotty on the retirement planet and Picard would go to his nephew and brother's funeral.

not the best ending.

so, they had them appear just before Soran launches his missle. that way Picard gets to save the day and Kirk gets to die, supposedly with honor.

the brutal answer to your question is poor writing. Picard disappears into the Nexus, then reappears later with Kirk just before Soran launches the missle into the sun. this means that there should now be 2 Picards (the other Picard should still be wandering about outside Soran's forcefield still). you never see this other Picard.

another mistake they made was giving those in the Nexus freedom to exit anywhere at any time. if they had limited a Nexus occupant's exiting options to A. the location they were when they entered the Nexus, and B. a time just before or just after they entered, things would have made more sense.

the way it is now creates a huge plot hole that, sadly, they never bother to explain.

Panda Phil
08-28-04, 12:55 AM
I dunno, Generations really just didn't do anything for me for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Plus, to be honest their little scientific screw-up [science nerd] Of having the local star explode a few seconds after Soren's rocket is launched into it without taking into account the whole speed of light thing just didn't sit well with me. That kinda sloppy science just proved that the writers didn't care.

I guess that among other things was kind of my first step in my eventual disillusionment with ST.

[/science nerd]

Wake me up when the First Contact SE comes out.

lizard
08-28-04, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by Panda Phil
...[/science nerd]

Wake me up when the First Contact SE comes out. I thought that the "science nerds", to use your term, didn't like First Contact because Cochran's ship goes into warp without any mention of inertial dampeners. Oops. :) As for me, all of Star Trek requires a large suspension of disbelief, like most sci-fi and fantasy, and First Contact is my favorite Trek movie.

Been awhile since I have seen Generations though (not since the movie theaters). Never bought the old low quality, non-anamorphic DVD. Might have to pick the SE up to see if the movie is as underwhelming as I remember.

buckee1
08-28-04, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by TK-421
I was a little disappointed that they made the Captain of the Enterprise B look like an incompetent boob. You would think the way everyone talks about being on the Enterprise as a great honor, and the way the other Captains have been shown that they would've made him out to be at least competent.

I don't think that the intent was to show this particular captain as a boob per se. Rather, any captain of the enterprise, under the same circumstances with Kirk sharing the bridge was bound to look er...boob like.

Cartload
08-28-04, 08:50 PM
I really think that this movie suffered because they spread themselves too thin. You had the end of TNG, DS9, the development of Voyager, and the development of Generations all occuring at the same time.

Shannon Nutt
08-28-04, 10:52 PM
Tuvok wasn't in the movie so he wasnt on the ship.

Flawed logic. Pavel Chekov wasn't in "Space Seed", yet it's firmly established in THE WRATH OF KHAN that he was indeed a member of the Enterprise crew and met Khan during Season One of The Original Series, even though we never saw him.

WillyShatsWig
09-04-04, 04:00 PM
We have our detailed review of Star Trek: Generations Collector's Edition here (http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4661).

Snippet:
Star Trek: Generations is far from the best Trek film, but nowhere near as bad as the critics would have us believe, and this DVD release is the perfect opportunity to revisit and re-evaluate the film 10 years after its release. At the most basic level, the filmmakers achieved exactly what they set out to do, and created a cross-over Trek movie to hand the series from one generation to another. Whether such a film was necessary in the first place is a matter of debate.

This DVD is a great package, but isn't without its faults. Most disappointing is the transfer, which alternates between stunningly beautiful and crushingly disappointing, often within the same shot. Thankfully the soundtrack is more than impressive enough to take your mind off things, and the inclusion of a DTS option - which will hopefully be continued for the rest of the series - is welcome. The extra features are lacking when it comes to new interviews from many of the cast and crew, but are all informative and in depth enough to make up for it.

If you have the other releases in this series, then this is simply a must have, while if it's a film that has not impressed you in the past, this might be a good time to give it another chance.

buckee1
09-04-04, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by WillyShatsWig
We have our detailed review of Star Trek: Generations Collector's Edition here (http://www.dvddebate.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4661).

I know the reviews regarding the trancfer show the film to be less than perfect however, those screenshots you've posted are simply beautiful!