TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Monk 6-18

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 11:43 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
Monk 6-18

Just a reminder that the 3rd season of Monk starts tonight on USA.
Old 06-18-04, 12:23 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank you! I knew there was something I had to remember to watch tonight.
Old 06-18-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Entertainment Weekly was not kind in their review about the early episodes they saw from this season so far: D

It won't stop me from watching, but gets me a little concerned.
Old 06-18-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here's a short capsule (no link as for subscribers only)

The folks responsible for ''Monk'' could have gone two ways for their new season: They could have come up with knottier, more engrossing mysteries for Tony Shalhoub's obsessive-compulsive detective to solve, or they could have taken the easier path and played up the cheap jokes about OCD and continued last season's drift toward making the supporting characters into boobs. They chose the latter. The premiere puts the San Francisco-based Monk, nurse Sharona (Bitty Schram), and cop co-stars Ted Levine and Jason Gray-Stanford in Manhattan for a quick trip, following a lead to solve the murder of Monk's wife. That becomes a subplot, however, to a dismally predictable slew of yuks about Monk's freaking out over the city's grime and crowded subways. Even as good an actor as Shalhoub can't redeem this silliness anymore. D
Old 06-18-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The New York Post and New York Daily News also gave this episode bad reviews, saying that the character of Monk was an over-the-top caricatureof what it was previously. Of course, I'll still be watching and hope it's just a one time blip on an excellent show.
Old 06-18-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
The brief note in Critic's Corner in USA Today was equally displeased.
Old 06-18-04, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's try this again. I wish I had tivo so I could record the new season. I've never seen the show before but just picked up season one on DVD. I guess even if I did have a tivo there's still the whole issue of not seeing season two. I guess I'll just have to wait until they all make their way to DVD.
Old 06-18-04, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hopefully it will get better as the season goes on. Haven't seen this one yet of course, so hopefully it won't be as bad as the reviews seem to indicate.
Old 06-18-04, 10:11 PM
Banned

the ep. seemed good to me
monk was just a little more 'mork' becuase he was in NYC
Old 06-18-04, 10:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Not the best episode but not as bad as the reviews made it out to be.

The scene with Monk yelling "fornicator" at Sharona had me laughing

Good to see "Fearless" got a job with the NYPD Of course that just made me remember how much I miss Boomtown.
Old 06-18-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Very Funny episode. The second half of the show was better then the start, but there are two of the funniest Monk moments towards the end. The screaming on the streets with the guy preaching, and Monk seeing the subway urinator in the restaurant

capt
Old 06-19-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Despite what shows like this would have you believe, New Yorkers do not just march blindly down the street, smashing into whatever is in front of them.

The card dealer, the street preacher, the fake Rolexes, I know Monk and Company are from San Francisco, but have they ever heard of New York? You would've thought they were visiting from another planet.

I know a lot of the cases on "Monk" are solved through coincidence, but this was just a little too much to swallow.
Monk just happened to see the shooter on the Times Square screen.
The shooter just happened to have the same mint in his pocket as the victim, and just happened to show it to Monk.
Monk just happened to overhear the coatcheck girl mix up two coats.

Best part was at the very end with Monk and his wife's killer.
"This is me turning off your morphine. And.....this is Trudie, turning it back on."

Now Monk is looking for a 6-fingered man. What's next, a Rodent of Unusual Size?

Next week
Spoiler:
I guess they're putting the search for his wife's killer on hold, while Monk babysits a chimp who may or may not have killed someone. Carmen Electra guest stars. I'm still trying to decide who's going to be the better actor.
Old 06-19-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I almost have to agree with the reviewers, I was a little dissapointed with the episode. For what's one of the best comedies on tv, the show seemed off kilter....like they were trying to hard to make Monk seem "weird". I'm not giving up hope or anything, but I would have like better.

And yes, the episode did get better as it went on.
Old 06-19-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I liked the episode but that Monk trying to talk over the jackhammer bit went on FOREVER!
Old 06-19-04, 07:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by boredsilly
I liked the episode but that Monk trying to talk over the jackhammer bit went on FOREVER!
I forgot to mention that

Yeah, that went on waaaayyy to long
Old 06-19-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I enjoyed the final moments with Monk in the hospital room with the explosives builder who set the bomb. That was the best expression of Monk's grief that I have seen. Monk would just allow the man to hurt without the morphine, but his wife had the compassion to alleviate everyone's suffering (even the bomb builder's).

Great ending, less than average episode. Great to see Fearless.
Old 06-19-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I liked this episode, quite a bit. I thought that the jackhammer was so funny, because it went so long. Monk riding on the subway was fantastic.

I also liked how they showed his vengeful side at the end, but he ended up whimping out.
Old 06-20-04, 03:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought it was an alright episode, and I actually thought the part with the jackhammer was funny. It reminded me of the episode of Family Guy where Peter gets kicked in the you know what (the one where he goes to the Willy Wonka like brewery) and how the sequence goes on for a looooooooong time.
Old 06-20-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought the bit with the jackhammer went on WAY too long. The first couple of times were funny, but the last dozen or so were just annoying. Of course, I felt the exact same way about the Family Guy scene that dcprules mentioned.

I just started watching Monk this past weekend; I recorded Friday's Season 2 marathon, and just finished watching it this morning. What a great show! I'll definitely be getting the Season 1 DVD set. The Season 3 premiere was really disappointing though; I hope the season gets better.

Rob
Old 06-21-04, 06:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

M'eh. An OK episode. Hopefully, it'll get back to normal next week.

Fearless
Old 06-21-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this was a great episode. I loved the part when Monk recognized the urinator in the diner. Very Seinfeld-esque.

That jackhammer part: I'm in the minority that finds it hilarious when a joke is overused like this.
Old 06-21-04, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Loved the show!

Monk was in NY, so he had to go way over the top. It would be a very hard place for him to live/visit.

It was good to see them get out of town. They seem to do that once a year, last year was Mexico.

Fun to watch a well written and acted show. I loved how all of his friends helped him out, they really showed their true colors. I hope the show lets the characters go deeper in the commitment to each other.
Old 06-22-04, 03:57 PM

I never read any reviews, but I thought it was one of the bottom episodes of Monk. Although I did enjoy it. The jackhammer joke was funny, just because it was so long. I'm laughing now thinking about it...

Hadn't we already heard or met someone with 6 fingers in this series? I'm pretty sure I'm not think of that other movie. I think it was in passing in an early episode.
Old 06-23-04, 10:26 PM

Just saw the rerun on USA. Not the best Monk, but still better than most television. I suspect they played up the "wacky OCD" angle for the benefit of new viewers.

Jackhammer bit = hilarious. I admire any show willing to push the envelope of comedy by possibly really annoying their audience. Someone had to think "This will either bomb or hit big." I love that they took the risk. And I thought it worked.

I also find it strange though that everyone compares it to the Family Guy episode and *not* to Sideshow Bob stepping on the rakes. *That* was the first thing I thought of.