Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Oh god, please hold me! ( other gaming message boards are scary)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-18-04, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been hip to this site (and it's boards) for about a year now. The boards on this site are very welcoming, well oiled machines thanks to the mods and the over all maturity of it's posters. I guess these boards have spoiled me a bit, especially Video Game Talk.

I decided to check out some other video game message boards to see what other gamers where talking about. Good god, I felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards. Apparently every mature, well spoken gamer who wants to chat about games posts here since nearly every other board I went to was filled with flames, n00b this and n00b that pot shots, and endless "Who's better" type posts. I was wondering why this was. I suppose its because Video Game sites, especially those easier to find, attract more (younger) traffic than this one.

Anyways thanks to those who posts here and mods who keep everything running smoothly. I don't think I'll even venture outside of this board (and it's gated community like atmosphere) to talk about games again.
Old 06-18-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So true. The only downside to this forum is there is WAAAY more talk about bargains, specifications and business speculation than there is about actual video games.
Old 06-18-04, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You went to the gamefaqs boards didn't you...

I visit the cheapassgamer forums quite a bit, they are pretty good boards for the most part.
Old 06-18-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Oh god, please hold me! ( other gaming message boards are scary)

Originally posted by boredsilly
I've been hip to this site (and it's boards) for about a year now. The boards on this site are very welcoming, well oiled machines thanks to the mods and the over all maturity of it's posters. I guess these boards have spoiled me a bit, especially Video Game Talk.

I decided to check out some other video game message boards to see what other gamers where talking about. Good god, I felt like I needed to take a shower afterwards. Apparently every mature, well spoken gamer who wants to chat about games posts here since nearly every other board I went to was filled with flames, n00b this and n00b that pot shots, and endless "Who's better" type posts. I was wondering why this was. I suppose its because Video Game sites, especially those easier to find, attract more (younger) traffic than this one.

Anyways thanks to those who posts here and mods who keep everything running smoothly. I don't think I'll even venture outside of this board (and it's gated community like atmosphere) to talk about games again.
GhET OuT oF HeaR NoOB!! GAMEpUbe SUX!!!! XBOX iS AWesOmE...
Old 06-18-04, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like this one, but there are other mature video game/computer game forums out there, including one that I work for.
Old 06-18-04, 10:03 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: Re: Oh god, please hold me! ( other gaming message boards are scary)

Originally posted by neiname
GhET OuT oF HeaR NoOB!! GAMEpUbe SUX!!!! XBOX iS AWesOmE...
omg r u gay? ps2 roolz
Old 06-18-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree, reading some of the other gaming boards will lower your IQ.

Personally, I read neo-geo.com, the-nextlevel.com (can occassionally get stupid) and atariage forums. They are abit better than the norm only because they have more of a niche audience!
Old 06-18-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

xblracing.com b/c i like racing games. otherwise, i only need a surficial knowledge of video games so this one broad forum suffices.

but even in general, i can't deal w/ too many fora. who can keep up?
Old 06-18-04, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by AgtFox
I like this one, but there are other mature video game/computer game forums out there, including one that I work for.
I'll say it: http://www.consolegold.com

Good site as well.
Old 06-18-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the thing I absolutely despise about other forums is how so many people include huge signatures with huge pictures. not to mention all the avatar pictures. ugh. just give me a nice board like this with text only, so I can read the content easily. Also, not having pictures plastered all over the page makes it easier to view at work.
Old 06-18-04, 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Joshic
the thing I absolutely despise about other forums is how so many people include huge signatures with huge pictures. not to mention all the avatar pictures. ugh. just give me a nice board like this with text only, so I can read the content easily. Also, not having pictures plastered all over the page makes it easier to view at work.
Testify brother! I'm a readability/usability junkie, and those forums with image sigs make it impossible to concentrate. And of course, in any forum with image sigs, the top three posts are typically:

1 - How do I get an image with my posts?
2- Where can I bootleg photoshop to make an image sig?
3- Will someone pleeeeeeasssseeee make an image sig for me?

actually, there's a #4
"L33tz0r, thanks for the sig..it rUl3z!"
Old 06-18-04, 12:30 PM

Those image sigs are hilarious. 95% of the females on those boards have a brooding anime girl with their name superimposed.
Old 06-18-04, 12:49 PM

Isn't it becuase this board is a dvd board 1st then all others next? Oh and yeah, I agree with the OP, all we need is a recipe forum and a webdesigners one and I might never have to leave dvdtalk.

THe music and books forums are also great here @ dvdtalk, if some of you guys haven't checked it out.
Old 06-18-04, 12:56 PM

Re: Oh god, please hold me! ( other gaming message boards are scary)

Originally posted by boredsilly

I bet you would be surprised at how many of those people saying/doing those types of things are actually in their mid 20's, heh. But yes, Dvdtalks gaming forum is very relaxing compared to any other gaming forum I have been to. Debates can get heated, but they are usually kept in check by the posters themselves, most of the time anyhoo.
Old 06-18-04, 01:02 PM

This is a great forum...but saying that.... it's also OVER censored! Which turns me off. As soon as you mention you don't like Nintendo or xbox MODs lock the thread. I try and keep a balance between the other VG forums out there and this one. But because the MODs are overly sensitive it keeps this place nice and clean...but maybe it's toooo clean.
Old 06-18-04, 01:10 PM

Get Me Coffee,

That's because people here are pretty thin skinned and discussions about "Which console is better" usually turn into flame fests pretty fast. If we could control ourselves in those situations, the mods wouldn't have to be so ham-fisted.

BTW, how does everybody like my new sig?

Old 06-18-04, 01:25 PM

I'm thankful that on these boards that the four letter language is kept to minimum. I use it myself, but on some boards it's every other word. To go beyond Video Game Talk, compare the civilized discussions at Movie Talk to the Talk Backs at AICN. Everyone there has a potty mouth. So yes, these are awesome boards.
Old 06-18-04, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
BTW, how does everybody like my new sig?

I ha-a-a-ate image signatures and huge, colorful sigs. Avatars aren't too bad, so long as they aren't animated.

DVD Talk tends to cater to a more mature, educated segment (film fans, HT fans, and the fact that DVDs are an expensive hobby) -- so the subforums tend to benefit from that, I think. Other is probably the best "general purpose" forum I've seen, and the VG forum is also very good.
Old 06-18-04, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
I'll say it: http://www.consolegold.com

Good site as well.
Thanks for the link. I'm reading some of the reviews now, and just from those, this site seems GREAT. I love the pros and cons list at the end. VERY handy. I haven't even checked out their forums yet.
Old 06-18-04, 05:51 PM

This is by far the best gaming forum I've ever read. The average age of the posters here is probably in the mid 20's or higher. Most of us also have jobs and lives, so we tend to keep games in perspective, and don't get too worked up over them.

I have my pet peeves about this place too, but they are few and far between.

Good show to all of us!
Old 06-18-04, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Thanks for the link. I'm reading some of the reviews now, and just from those, this site seems GREAT. I love the pros and cons list at the end. VERY handy. I haven't even checked out their forums yet.
Thanks...I wrote quite a few of those reviews.
Old 06-18-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, this place is tame compared to some of the dumpy VG boards i have seen.

A lesson i have learned in life is that Anime sites that have VG forums are never a good place to chat.

The only good VG forum i have ever been to (other than this one) has been DigitPress.
Old 06-18-04, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the biggest factor in us being so much better than every other forum is the fact that I post here.

Yay me!
Old 06-19-04, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 917 Likes on 640 Posts
I do agree and honestly get most if not all of my forum itch from DVDTalk. Seriously. It has a little bit of everything and isn't so in depth that I feel constantly lost.

But sometimes the posts in this forum can be few and far between.
Old 06-19-04, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
it's also OVER censored! Which turns me off. As soon as you mention you don't like Nintendo or xbox MODs lock the thread. I try and keep a balance between the other VG forums out there and this one. But because the MODs are overly sensitive it keeps this place nice and clean...but maybe it's toooo clean.
I agree. This place is too censored and too touchy about certain subjects, one of the reasons I never visit as often as I used too.

(btw, guess who's back? DVDtalk will never be the same...)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.