Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

15 years ago, Licence to Kill premiered, lets remember

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-16-04, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Click:
http://www.commanderbond.net/Public/...s/2423-1.shtml

Check out the posters of Bond out for revenge.
The last great Bond, 15 years ago to this day, Tim Dalton's masterpierce, cutting edge, ahead of the times, Licence to Kill.
Old 06-16-04, 12:28 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
This film is unique among the Bonds because it's the only one that was made using rejected "Miami Vice" scripts.
Old 06-16-04, 12:28 PM

actually one of my favorite bond movies. Dalton's portrayal of bond was cold. almost like he'd rather slit your throat than have to talk to you.
Old 06-16-04, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by Daytrip
actually one of my favorite bond movies. Dalton's portrayal of bond was cold. almost like he'd rather slit your throat than have to talk to you.
Right on.

"The taking it personally vengeance-crazed callous bastard of Licence to Kill is the closest anyone has come to fufilling the opening credits by promising to play James Bond."

Rolling Stones Magazine.

"Dalton was genetically engineered to play Bond."
Old 06-16-04, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Groucho
This film is unique among the Bonds because it's the only one that was made using rejected "Miami Vice" scripts.
Thank you Groucho, Thank you. You absolutely rule.

I've been involved in several threads debating this issue over the years, but I've never understood why people like License to Kill so much. Of all the Bond films it has this strong cult following. I think The Living Daylights is better.
Old 06-16-04, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Pants

I've been involved in several threads debating this issue over the years, but I've never understood why people like License to Kill so much. Of all the Bond films it has this strong cult following. I think The Living Daylights is better.
it's got a cult following because it's got wayne newton as a cult leader
Old 06-16-04, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by Pants

No problem with me, I think Dalton did two of the best Bond films in the whole series. The Living Daylights and Licence to Kill are so different, comparisions don't d either justice.

There both crackers, Dalton did a classic cold war Bond, and a cutting edge Flemming Bond-LTK.

There my most watched Bond films.

Last edited by SeanValen; 06-16-04 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by costanza
it's got a cult following because it's got wayne newton as a cult leader
"Bless your heart."

This is my favorite Bond movie as well. Dalton played a perfect master spy, cold and ruthless. Not a joking pussyhound like Connery.
Old 06-16-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is one of my top 5 favorite Bond films. Sanchez was a great villain.
Old 06-16-04, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This movie sucked. I liked Dalton, but the plot was horrible, the leading lady was ugly and couldn't act and the whole thing felt it was filmed in a back lot of Miami Vice.

The only good thing is the neat stunts at the end of the movie, otherwise, this movie is just plain bad.
Old 06-16-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
The plot actually comes from the book, "Live and Let Die," with some alterations.
Old 06-16-04, 02:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by NitroJMS
The plot actually comes from the book, "Live and Let Die," with some alterations.
The only thing from "Live and Let Die" was Felix being fed to the sharks.
Old 06-16-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

but I've never understood why people like License to Kill so much.
Because its smart.
Bond accomplishes his (own personal) mission by using his wits in a subtle subversive way.
he undermines the villians operation by manipulating/pushing the villians buttons- rather than just going at him with a lot of firepower.
in LTK Bond is basically playing Iago to Sanchez's Othello

i see a lot of people use the Miami Vice reference to slag LTK, but i never see people complaining that for the last 4 films Bond has degenerated into nothing but Rambo in a tux.

the other thing i really like about LTK is that the action set pieces are very organic- they rise naturally out of the story and then propel the rest of the plot.
think of the escape from the yacht.
the stories outcome would have been totally different if he hadn't escaped in that way.
unlike a lot of subsequent (and past) films, you couldn't just plug in any generic bit of action here to get him from point A in the story to point B-
not only one of the best stunt set pieces in any Bond movie, what transpires also sets up the second and third acts events, because now he is in possession of several key things (knowledge of how sanchez's money transfer works , the money itself) all that he can exploit to achieve his goal of destroying Sanchez.

it's a 'con' movie.
and if a guy makes his career as a secret agent, i would expect that he would be using pyschology a lot more to his advantage, than overt firepower.

to me, its the last, great Bond film for grown ups.

Last edited by ckolchak; 06-16-04 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Along with "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", it's the most underrated of the Bond films. Too bad it tanked in the States against all those high-profile Summer '89 franchise flicks. The Broccolis should use LTK, OHMSS, and From Russia With Love as inspiration for the Bond series instead of the over-the-top entries with Moore and Brosnan.

If anything, I'd think people would complain about the striking similarities to Joel Silver's late 80's action films. Robert Davi, Grand L. Bush, and a score by Michael Kamen don't exactly differentiate it from Legal Wreckin or Die Hard.
Old 06-16-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
It broke the traditional Bond formula and managed to pay off. Good to see that I'm not alone on this.

Q rocks in this too!
Old 06-16-04, 06:34 PM
Banned

Dalton was the second best Bond after Connery. This had a pretty good story, the women were smokin' hot, Q finally got to really participate in the plot and the payoff is nice. It looks a bit dated but it still puts the Brosnan bullshit to shame.
Old 06-16-04, 09:00 PM

Everyone knows Mickey Mouse Wilson gave shit material to Brosnan. Brosnan's material may be sub-par, he never is.

While Living Daylight is a highly enjoyable Bond film, LTK is not. I like the premise and the plot, but the execution is bad.
Old 06-16-04, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Brosnan's material may be sub-par, he never is.
i've never liked Brosnans portrayal, even though i was rooting for him early on.

for me, he comes across too smug, too smarmy, too self satisfied, and no where near threatening enough.
Brosnan is an enormously likable actor, but to me it seems like he is very imtimidated playing an 'icon' and feels like he has to constantly 'act' in the part.
i pretty much lost interest in the character and the films entirely on his tenure- and at this point, with the Jason Bourne movies and Alias, i get my spy kicks a lot fresher elsewhere.

i much prefer Dalton who was more guache when it came to the GQ aspect of the character, but much more believable as someone who was a paid assasian.

Last edited by ckolchak; 06-16-04 at 10:24 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 193 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Rivero
Dalton was the second best Bond after Connery. This had a pretty good story, the women were smokin' hot, Q finally got to really participate in the plot and the payoff is nice.
Well said.

Carey Lowell is one of the most underappreciated Bond women of all time.
Old 06-17-04, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by Daytrip
I agree, even Pierce Brosnan said the Tim's portrayal was closer to the dark tone of the original books. Unfortunately, most people want the happy smiley Bond.
Old 06-17-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,748 Likes on 1,093 Posts
Originally posted by ckolchak
Because its smart.
Bond accomplishes his (own personal) mission by using his wits in a subtle subversive way.
he undermines the villians operation by manipulating/pushing the villians buttons- rather than just going at him with a lot of firepower.
in LTK Bond is basically playing Iago to Sanchez's Othello

i see a lot of people use the Miami Vice reference to slag LTK, but i never see people complaining that for the last 4 films Bond has degenerated into nothing but Rambo in a tux.

the other thing i really like about LTK is that the action set pieces are very organic- they rise naturally out of the story and then propel the rest of the plot.
think of the escape from the yacht.
the stories outcome would have been totally different if he hadn't escaped in that way.
unlike a lot of subsequent (and past) films, you couldn't just plug in any generic bit of action here to get him from point A in the story to point B-
not only one of the best stunt set pieces in any Bond movie, what transpires also sets up the second and third acts events, because now he is in possession of several key things (knowledge of how sanchez's money transfer works , the money itself) all that he can exploit to achieve his goal of destroying Sanchez.

it's a 'con' movie.
and if a guy makes his career as a secret agent, i would expect that he would be using pyschology a lot more to his advantage, than overt firepower.

to me, its the last, great Bond film for grown ups.

Well said.

Let me also add that Gladys Knight's them song "License to Kill" is totally underrated and IMHO one of the top 5 Bond theme songs!!!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 06-17-04 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-17-04, 01:48 AM

It's the first Bond movie I saw thoroughly .. in theatre. And since I thought it was a pretty entertaining movie, from that day onwards, I have decided to follow Bond everywhere he goes.

Agree. The theme song is also very cool.
Old 06-17-04, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i always think Dalton as THE BEST Bond ever... even better than Connery

different style, but very dark & mean secret agent... the way it supposed to be i guess.

License to Kill is ok... not bad, but not great either.... maybe due to Miami location which i'm kind of familiar a little bit.

The Living Daylight is THE BEST 007 ever....
Dr.No comes second... & followed by GoldenEye
Old 06-17-04, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I remember when it comes out in the theatre, there's quite a big publicity about the movie. I saw banners and advertising everywhere - something I rarely see nowadays. As for the movie, it's nothing special to me. I'm not much of a Bond fans, but I agree with the song - it's a great song. One of the best Bond soundtrack imo.
Old 06-17-04, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 504 Likes on 349 Posts
Connery - Just Connery, he rules. (my favorite Bond)

Dalton - Easily the Bond most faithful to Flemings original character.

Brosnan - handsome and low-key, very watchable. Too bad the films weren't. (well, Goldeneye was good)

Moore - Ugh, it was hard enough to stomach him as The Saint.

Lazenby - a silly caricature of Bond, though the movie itself is one of my favorites.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.