Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

mtv has actually managed to get worse. Part funny, part in horrible taste

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-04, 06:40 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mtv has actually managed to get worse. Part funny, part in horrible taste

its stupid to say mtv is now a shit hole. we all know it. but they really just sunk lower in my book. heres 2 reasons, one is funny, the other is really bad.

1. theres a new ad for mtv playing now. the main point of the tv ad is that mtv is "not sutible for parents". something like that. theres like a parental warning advisory at the end of the ad.

the ad features an older man and his family eating what looks to be a nice dinner. the man begins to stutter, grabs his chest, cries out, i cant breath, falls onto the ground. his daughter starts screaming "oh my god dad! call 911" and his wife rushes over to him on the floor. he is apparently having a heart attack, and he wispers in her ear "i love you" then there is a few shots of his grandson looking scared that his grandfather is dying. so far, NOTHING is funny or showing to be a joke. it looks really real. then the old man starts giggling and he opens his eyes and says "hehehehe i punk'd you!"

and then you get the "mtv: not for parents" logo and thats the end of the ad. Totally distasteful. I was really suprised mtv would stoop that low. I hope it gets off the air soon

other thing was a new show. I was channel surfing and came across this game show where a couple had to pick which celebrity pair was hotter. if they agreed with the audience they won money. that was it. So theres a couple who have to ask themselves if michael moore is hotter than peter jackson. after picking who is hotter, the audience votes. wow what do you know! 71% of the audience think peter jackson is hotter than michael moore. heres 100 bucks

oh god
Old 06-14-04, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
boy that is in poor taste
Old 06-14-04, 07:30 PM

You're getting old, that commercial was funny. Mtv still sucks though.
Old 06-14-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I saw that commercial this morning. Totally disgusting. I mean it's not even funny in any way, sense or form. Just another reason to hate MTV.
Old 06-14-04, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad I have more important things to worry about than a stupid ad on MTV. If you don't like it, don't watch it.
Old 06-14-04, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate to love MTV.
Old 06-14-04, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
Sounds pretty funny. Might actually be the only good thing on mtv.
Old 06-15-04, 12:14 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I was actually laughing at that commercial before they even got to the punchline. It was so cheesily melodramatic (like one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" commercials) I can't see how anyone could take it seriously.
Old 06-15-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Totally hilarious spot.

That game show sounds pretty stupid.
Old 06-15-04, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I love how they had to create MTV2 to play only videos. Slowly the shows crept onto that station. Now there's MTV3 that plays only videos. Only a matter of time...

As long as there are Hillary Dumbs and Avril Labias, there will be MTV.
Old 06-15-04, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this commercial is hilarious. It may not be in the best taste, but ads seldom are.
Old 06-15-04, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Mopower
I'm glad I have more important things to worry about than a stupid ad on MTV. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

It seems like posters always complain about MTV, if you don't like it don't watch it. Simple concept.

From my experiance there's 2 people that hate MTV:

1) Those that have out grown (too old to enjoy it) after all MTV is targeted towards young teens. Theres nothing wrong with admitting that you're too old to enjoy it.

2) Teenagers who think there tastes are too cool to enjoy it.

BTW, not trying to knock anyone here since I really don't know any of you. I'm just saying that when I meet people that hate MTV they usually fall into one of these categories.
Old 06-15-04, 06:42 PM
Suspended

I'm glad I have more important things to worry about than a stupid ad on MTV.
Yeah! Like complaining on a message board about others complaining about a stupid MTV ad!
Old 06-15-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MJKTool
Yeah! Like complaining on a message board about others complaining about a stupid MTV ad!
Uh.. ya.

People complain about MTV not showing music videos anymore. If they did show videos 24/7 I hope these people realize that they would show the same shitty Britney Spears/ Usher video every 10 min. So then they would bitch about that. I'd rather watch some stupid dating show or The Real World than watch the same 5 music videos all day.
Old 06-16-04, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by Goat3001
It seems like posters always complain about MTV, if you don't like it don't watch it. Simple concept.
If only it were that simple.

See, if you ignore something, that doesn't mean it's going to go away. Sure, you might not find yourself constantly subjected to the object of your hate, but that doesn't mean it'll make it better or change it. In fact, it might spawn some other clones/wannabes. For example -- the whole "reality" genre. Not watching these shows really isn't doing anything for me. There are more and more scripted shows being sacrificed at the altar of the quick buck/lowest common denominator "unscripted" reality genre.

What, am I supposed to stop watching television all together?
Old 06-16-04, 02:26 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Goat3001
From my experiance there's 2 people that hate MTV:

1) Those that have out grown (too old to enjoy it) after all MTV is targeted towards young teens. Theres nothing wrong with admitting that you're too old to enjoy it.

2) Teenagers who think there tastes are too cool to enjoy it.
You forgot the third group:

3) The ones old enough to remember what the "M" in MTV stood for. You know, back in the old days when they . . . oh, I dont know, actually PLAYED MUSIC VIDEOS!!!! Ah, remember the golden days when they occasionaly had music on their all music station - interruped once in a while by shows that had something to do with music.

THAT is why I hate MTV. Not because I'm too old, or I'm too cool - but because it SUCKS.
Old 06-16-04, 04:17 AM

Originally posted by El-Kabong

3) The ones old enough to remember what the "M" in MTV stood for. You know, back in the old days when they . . . oh, I dont know, actually PLAYED MUSIC VIDEOS!!!! Ah, remember the golden days when they occasionaly had music on their all music station - interruped once in a while by shows that had something to do with music.

THAT is why I hate MTV. Not because I'm too old, or I'm too cool - but because it SUCKS.
Exactly, I just wish I could catch a music video once in awhile. Same goes for MTV2 for that matter. I was all excited about getting it a few months ago and now there are shows on that as well.
Old 06-16-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by El-Kabong

You fail to realize that the music MTV plays SUCKS. So instead of them playing shitty music one hour a day you want them to play shitty music 24 hours a day? Nice logic.
Old 06-16-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You fail to realize that the music MTV plays SUCKS. So instead of them playing shitty music one hour a day you want them to play shitty music 24 hours a day? Nice logic.
Yes. Crappy music is still music and music is what MTV stood for once.
Old 06-16-04, 10:14 AM

I'm 36 years old and still enjoy some of todays music. Can't stand rap though, just not my scene.

The only time MTV even plays videos intact is very early in the morning, and I record what I like which is way under 10%.

I wish that MTV would play some of the videos from the 1980's and 1990's. I know that some network plays old videos but I don't get it in my area.

Then when they do have something like the a countdown of 1980's videos they yap during the videos, totally ruining it for me.

And what does Pimp my Ride or other shows have to do with music anyways.
Old 06-16-04, 11:03 AM

Originally posted by DVD Josh
Now there's MTV3 that plays only videos. Only a matter of time...
Is there really an MTV3?

Thank goodness for DirecTv and VH1 Classic. I can just turn it on and leave it on. Say....I should sell them that slogan.
Old 06-16-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

does MTV stand for Mindless TV?
Old 06-16-04, 03:40 PM
Suspended

At least it would be music and not Real World: Fargo or someshit.

I missed this the first time around:

People complain about MTV not showing music videos anymore. If they did show videos 24/7 I hope these people realize that they would show the same shitty Britney Spears/ Usher video every 10 min. So then they would bitch about that. I'd rather watch some stupid dating show or The Real World than watch the same 5 music videos all day.
Here's a thought - how about more than five videos in rotation? I know it's a radical idea, and it doesnt further Paramount/Viacom's adgenda of promting the artist "Flavor of the Month" - but there ARE more than just 3 performers in the world.

See, back in the 80's there was the top 20 countdown, Headbangers Ball, MTV Raps, Al-TV, and 120 min just to name a few. Only on special occasions would they break out the All-Madonna weekend or whathave you (Anyone remember the homemade True Blue Video contest they had? One song all weekend long - now THAT was bad). And while there was overlap here and there, hey - look at that! MTV had a pretty wide selection.

So you see - it can be done. MTV can have a playlist longer than the top 25 or so pop songs of the week with no ill effects.

Last edited by El-Kabong; 06-16-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-16-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow, I don't think MTV can even be mentioned anymore without this argument being brought out. I actually like a lot of the MTV programming, but I do miss some of the videos. I don't think they should have corrupted MTV2 with shows, but that is neither here nor there. If you are looking for a station with a good rotation of videos there are better channels our there than MTV. But those channels probably won't have funny commercials of people faking heart attacks.
Old 06-16-04, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Yes, I was watching that commercial there and I indeed thought it was a real man having a real heart attack on live television, boy did I feel snookered when I found out it was a station promo.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.