Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Clean Sweep on TLC, a guilty pleasure.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clean Sweep on TLC, a guilty pleasure.

Have been watching Clean Sweep and got hooked on it.

However, I have spotted a few things.

1. That usually only one or two rooms are full of clutter, not every room in the house. Which makes me think that these people just fill up these few rooms full of the stuff they really didn't want to keep in the first place and have these other guys come in and get rid of it for them.

2. It's easy for these people to come in and tell people they don't know what to get rid of. Even sentimental items from deceased relatives. And I am really beginning to hate that guy that tells people to "Be Brutal".

3. That one of their favorite storage solutions or work area solutions is the hanging desk or storage unit that is attached to the wall.

And who is paying these guys to help them with their clutter? At the end of each episode they always state how much they spent on materials or other items.

Too bad I can't come across one of their garage sales, when their selling DVD's for only a few bucks.

What are your thoughts about the show?
Old 06-14-04, 05:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally I think the reality home shows have gotten out of hand. TLC scored BIG with Trading Spaces and I really think that this show is staged for the most part. You pointed out a big factor that makes "me" think so. The single rooms being cluttered. Pack rats are Pack rats. They put stuff everywhere, not in just one room.
Old 06-14-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had heard that when the producers come, they pull stuff out of closets and drawers to make the rooms seems more "messy" than they are in the day-to-day. (Usually these people's bedrooms have stuff all over the bed, which is a clue because they have to sleep somewhere.)

I do like this show much better than Trading Spaces. though. On Trading Spaces, the finished rooms usually look nice, but you know once they move their "stuff" back in. It won't look the same. The rooms are only for show, they aren't really functional. I could make my house look nice too if I pulled everything out and only put back things like artwork and pillows and stuff.

I like Clean Sweep because they actually put the (pared-down) stuff back into the room and everything has a place.

I haven't watched Clean Sweep in awhile though, because it was on too many times and it seemed to be the same show over & over.
Old 07-12-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For an obsessive-compulsive collector (albeit one with good organizational sense) like myself, this show is a friggin' flat-out nightmare.

I loathe, loathe, loathe the Australian guy. What a bastard.

Contempt for these people he's "helping" just positively drips from his very being. I scream everytime they start pricing the lawn sale items. Just last week - with the Deadhead and his prim-n-proper wife - I was just cringing watching the evil Australian man price Grateful Dead memorabilia at pennies on the dollar.

Oh my god. I agree with the poster above. Why the hell can't I come across one of these insta-sales with the ridiculously low pricing?

And can someone please tell the skinnier black designer that not every room needs to be pastel, baby blue?

Once, just once, I'd like to see these "sweepers" come up with storage solutions that actually allowed these folks to keep the lion's share of their possessions.
Old 07-12-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, but Trading Spaces isn't intended to be about function. It's intended to inspire. You see what can be done to a room in hopes that it inspires you to do something better over a long period of time.

Clean Sweep's OK and definitely better than While You Were Out. I've found that I enjoy In a Fix too, although I suspect it's because that one designer has a smokin' hot body.

das
Old 07-13-04, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I've found that I enjoy In a Fix too, although I suspect it's because that one designer has a smokin' hot body.
Haven't seen this one yet. Anyone have anything to tempt me? Like ... I dunno... PICS?
Old 07-14-04, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh I hate the Australian guy. I was watching an ep when this lady wanted to keep something like a wedding dress and something from her dead grandmother (or maybe these were from two different episodes) and the dude was all "This isn't your grandmother. She's in your heart not in this painting" or something. I wanted to give him the big elbow off of the top rope. What an ass. I wonder if the homeowners have to sign some kind of contract saying they will follow that guys suggestions because otherwise I don't see how these people would so easily part with such important & personally items.

Originally posted by grunter

Once, just once, I'd like to see these "sweepers" come up with storage solutions that actually allowed these folks to keep the lion's share of their possessions.
You make an excellent point. They push and push "organization" but all they're doing is selling and throwing a ton of shit away and half of the time the stuff they throw away (mainly talking furniture here) is better than the stuff they replace it with.

...but I still like watching the show. Hell it isn't my stuff that's beiing trashed.