TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 2004 Beer Wars

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 2004 Beer Wars

Miller Vs. Budweiser (Ads)

Recently the ads between these two competitors has gotten pretty heated. Miller called out Budweiser first with the "President of Beers campaign", and now Budweiser has retaliated by bringing back the lizards/donkey.

IMO, Budweiser's relatialation was pretty lame. Who cares that Miller is owned by South Africans? MAKE ME LAUGH, DAMMIT.

And the Lizards? That's so 5 years ago.

Winner: Miller

I'm looking forward to see how Miller will respond.
Old 06-13-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Budweiser also referred to Miller as the "Queen of Carbs", and incurred the wrath of some gay and lesbian groups because of it. There was a very interesting article I read somewhere along the way that dealt with this "war". If I find it again, I will provide a link.
Old 06-13-04, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The 2004 Beer Wars

Originally posted by Abranut
Miller Vs. Budweiser (Ads)

Recently the ads between these two competitors has gotten pretty heated. Miller called out Budweiser first with the "President of Beers campaign", and now Budweiser has retaliated by bringing back the lizards/donkey.

IMO, Budweiser's relatialation was pretty lame. Who cares that Miller is owned by South Africans? MAKE ME LAUGH, DAMMIT.

And the Lizards? That's so 5 years ago.

Winner: Miller

I'm looking forward to see how Miller will respond.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Miller said budweier couldnt even run cause they were the "king" of beers. calling out that america is a democracy. this is the same as budweiser calling out millers non american citizenship. the budweiser attack was more well thought out than just taking a commonly known nickname.

Advantage: Budweiser
Old 06-13-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Plus there is no way you can prove that the "queen of carbs" jab was refering to gays and lesbians (unless the had a bunch of gay people dancing around) it was in direct retaliation to miller saying they are kings. Can we not use any words that are synomous with gays/lesbians anymore without them thinking we are making fun of them?
Old 06-13-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only seen the miller tv spots, and the bud radio ads, but between the two, I prefer the budweiser. "who would you vote for? A horse or a half-horse?"
Old 06-13-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bob Odenkirk wins in a landslide.
Old 06-13-04, 11:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I personally love these ads. From both sides. The Bud donkey one is pretty funny.

And to get a little technical... Miller was born in the US, so Miller is indeed eligible for President of beers.

Right now Miller is the candidate I'll be voting for.
Old 06-13-04, 11:17 PM

Old 06-13-04, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since when did Toucan Sam became an alcoholic?
Old 06-14-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That guiness ad predates fruit loops by a good 50 years.
Old 06-14-04, 10:48 AM

If there ever was a time to vote for a third party candidate, it is now.

Westvleteren Abt 12: The true king of beers.

Last edited by Morf; 06-14-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-14-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Old 06-14-04, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Miller was born in the US, so Miller is indeed eligible for President of beers.
I really can't believe I am arguing this point - but being bought by a foreign company is similar to renouncing your citzenship.
Old 06-14-04, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Miller

I haven't seen the commercials, or maybe I just don't pay attention anymore. But I just wanted to throw in my $0.02 about the tast of Miller.
Old 06-14-04, 02:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I really can't believe I am arguing this point - but being bought by a foreign company is similar to renouncing your citzenship.
This is a travishamockery!!!!!!!

I hate all Miller beers too, but let's be honest, do commercials really influence what you drink?
Old 06-15-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Old 06-15-04, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by PeMo
but let's be honest, do commercials really influence what you drink?
They don't influence me, but I'm sure they influence some of the millions of people that assume all there is to American beer is Bud, Miller, and Coors.
Old 06-16-04, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.wisinfo.com/postcrescent/...16525879.shtml

Miller Brewing drops effort for injunction

Company wanted rival’s ‘Queen of Carbs’ advertisement pulled

The Associated Press

MILWAUKEE — Miller Brewing Co. said Monday it would no longer try to force its chief rival to pull an ad calling Miller Lite the “Queen of Carbs.”

The ad was part of a larger Anheuser-Busch Cos. campaign targeted in a lawsuit filed by Miller Brewing last month in federal court in Milwaukee.

Miller spokesman Scott Bussen said the company would continue with its lawsuit, which claimed Anheuser-Busch was making false and misleading statements about Miller Lite in its ads.

“The rest remains in place, and we’ll proceed according to the court’s timeline,” Bussen said.

A federal judge was scheduled June 29 to hear the Milwaukee brewer’s request for a restraining order against the “Queen of Carbs” ad. Miller Brewing will not pursue a preliminary injunction because Anheuser-Busch’s campaign “failed to slow Miller Lite’s momentum,” according to a company statement Monday.

An Anheuser-Busch spokesman did not return a telephone message left Monday at his office seeking comment.

Last month, U.S. District Judge Lynn Adelman ordered Anheuser-Busch to pull one set of ads but allowed the St. Louis maker of Budweiser and Bud Light to continue to run two others.

The ads ordered pulled were posters displayed in liquor stores that stated Miller is owned by South African Breweries.

Philip Morris sold Miller to South African Brewers PLC in 2002, which formed a new company called SABMiller PLC, based in London.

The nation’s two biggest brewers have been making unusually pointed references to each other in recent advertising for their light beers, as consumers look for lower carbohydrate alternatives.

Miller also alleged Bud distributors put stickers on Miller Lite products, calling it the “Queen of Carbs” and “Owned by South African Breweries.”

Anheuser-Busch agreed to send a memo to all distributors reminding them that stickering or defacing competitors’ products is illegal, but the company did not admit any guilt.
Old 06-16-04, 10:18 AM

A new front in the war may be opening up...

http://www.realbeer.com/news/articles/news-002208.php

Chinese beer wars

SABMiller, Anheuser-Busch escalate battle for China's No. 4 brewer

May 5, 2004 - SABMiller is launching a takeover bid for a Chinese brewer that could open up a battle with U.S. giant Anheuser-Busch. SABMiller's offer for the Harbin Brewery is $551 million.

London-based SABMiller, which sells Miller beers in the United States and many others around the world, already holds a 29.6% stake in Harbin. Under Honk Kong's stock market rules, if it owned 30% then a takeover bid would be required. Anheuser-Busch just purchased its own 29% share of Harbin. Harbin is the fourth-largest brewer in China and dominates the northeast China market.

Anheuser-Busch could raise its stake in Harbin to prevent SABMiller from gaining control, setting off a bidding war. Anheuser-Busch also owns a 10% stake in Chinese market leader Tsingtao Brewery, which it will raise to 27% by 2010 as part of a mandatory bond conversion.

In 2002, China surpassed the U.S. to become the world's biggest beer market by volume, and the country accounts for 16.9% of world-wide consumption. With beer sales growth in Western Europe and the U.S. is flat, the fast-growing Chinese market has become more important.
Old 06-16-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
Commercials?
Old 09-18-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Morf
If there ever was a time to vote for a third party candidate, it is now.

Westvleteren Abt 12: The true king of beers.
Had one tonight. I rated it as tied with Stone Imperial Russian Stout as my top beer of all time. Great stuff, but it costs $11.99 per 12oz bottle here so I can make it my regular.