Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What's the next Big Film Trilogy/Series to be made ?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 08:50 PM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Lord of the Rings trilogy is done, Harry Potter is still going, Star Wars Eps 1 -3 are almost done

What is the next really big Film trilogy or series to be made ?

and i mean planned before the first film hits the theatres, not the case when a movie is made, is successful so sequels are written and made, i mean a series planned from the start to be a series like Lord of the Ring, Star Wars and Harry Potter

I don't even think X men was planned as a series, just happened cos the first was successful
Old 06-12-04, 09:06 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Orson Scott Card's Ender series. There are seven books and I think they are working on the first one - Ender's Game - now.
Old 06-12-04, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting..but I'm sure the Matrix isn't done yet.
Old 06-12-04, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
What about the Chronicles of Narnia? They are supposed to be doing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe
Old 06-12-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The John Carter/Mars Series
Old 06-13-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think they are making Stephen King's Gunslinger trilogy.
Old 06-13-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is being filmed as well - I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be very good fantasy.
Old 06-13-04, 03:23 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by MoviePage
Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy is being filmed as well - I haven't read it, but it's supposed to be very good fantasy.
Yep. The big buzz seems to be on this one. Ender's Game could be great or terrible, we'll see.

And, of course, there's always movies not based on books.
Old 06-13-04, 03:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CHUD.com and AICN had some bits of info up about Chronicles of Narnia, and if that is the direction they are planning on going, then I am really interested.

Ender would be good, if handled by the right director. I'm not so sure about the sequel books, they didn't have quite the impact of the original.

Has anyone read the Otherland series by Tad Williams? Not sure if they would translate well as a movie series, but as a mini-series on TV, I think they could be great.
Old 06-13-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by Abranut
I think they are making Stephen King's Gunslinger trilogy.
I doubt it. For one, it is a 7 book 'Dark Tower' series. The Gunslinger is the first novel. I doubt this could be pulled off in a good way. CGI in the style of Final Fantasy might work though.

I know this is against the first post, but both Pitch Black and Underworld have trilogies planned(well duh, with Riddick). So a total of 4 films in each series.
Old 06-13-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've heard rumors of Gunslinger animated movies ... though I believe it when I see it. As for Ender's Game, I'd be interested to see how well it is done, but as others have expressed, the sequels are just not nearly as good as the first (except maybe Ender's Shadow) ... I guess that would leave plenty of room for film "improvement" from the source material, a la Bourne Identity or Jurassic Park: Lost World.

I'd say the next big series will be the Chronicles of Narna. It has a wide base of fans already, 7 fairly short books to work off of, and each story could stand-alone.
Old 06-13-04, 08:59 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
x-men was always planned as more than 1 and most likely a trilogy and thus is a success, but Spider-man was definitely planned as a trilogy if not more and the 1st 3 will prob surpass the 1st 3 of HP so i think that is the answer.
Old 06-13-04, 09:40 AM

Hopefully Riddick if it makes enough money.
Friday was decent.
Old 06-13-04, 09:43 AM

Does it really mattered if its planned or not?

I mean X men films have bucketloads of materials from the comics, money decides at the end a sequel, thus you have a series, well linked to each other.

If we forget the money element, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, can all be done well, and people know there's good stories to be told.
Old 06-13-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goldberg74
Orson Scott Card's Ender series. There are seven books and I think they are working on the first one - Ender's Game - now.
Yeah, but the movie is a combination of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow. From there, they could either go with the Ender's Shadow plotline or fast-forward to Speaker for the Dead.

If the books are any indication, the first movie will be excellent, the second movie will be good in other ways, and the third movie will really suck. I never even bothered reading the fourth book.
Old 06-13-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by SeanValen
Does it really mattered if its planned or not?

Yes. Because Star Wars and Lord of the Rings rely on the sequels to continue the story. There aren't any other films that do quite as well as those 2 trilogies. The rest are just sequels.
Old 06-14-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Isn't Wolfgang Peterson attached to direct Ender's Game? Take that for whatever it's worth.

And call me crazy but I preferred both Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide to Ender's Game. Both were infinitely more compelling.
Old 06-14-04, 11:48 AM

SPIDER-MAN Trilogy!
Old 06-14-04, 11:58 AM

Unless an upcoming trilogy/series is based off of some books, I don't see how we would see it coming.

Unless there's a hollywood insider among us.

Anyway, though there have been a few successful and enjoyable trilogies/series, I think I would be OK with there not being another one for a few years.
I think there are too many nowaday's and then there's the anticipation to deal with, followed by possible let down's and disappointments.

Personally, I"m a big fan of a great movie that really delivers.
Nothing more.
Ever.
Just the good movie.
And that's it.
KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid)
Old 06-14-04, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
The Chronicles of Narnia is definitely Disney's attempt to try and re-create the Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings craze.

These are very good books, but they are essentially a Christian allegory, and something tells me Disney will manage to excise all the "meaning" right out of the movies and just make them into kids' action-adventure films.
Old 06-14-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Are they going to make God Emperor Dune for the Sci-Fi Channel? That would be the third part of the Dune series.
Old 06-14-04, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by mike45
Are they going to make God Emperor Dune for the Sci-Fi Channel? That would be the third part of the Dune series.
I can't imagine how they would pull God Emperor off. You'd have to have a CGI character as your lead on a made-for-TV budget. That's got disaster written all over it.
Old 06-15-04, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it sounds like, from people coming out of advance screenings, that Spider-man 2 is going to be a big crowd pleaser and contains the set-up for a third film in its closing scenes-
those two factors, plus the success of the original film, to me, indidcate that this is going to be the 'big' trilogy post 2005 (of course there is only one film left though).

also, from what i hear, the first sequel is continuing the story from the first film in a fairly seamless fashion.
the story continues as opposed to something like Indiana Jones which is really just one(good) film and two independant sequels.
Old 06-15-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Interesting..but I'm sure the Matrix isn't done yet.
It most certainly is. I'd be willing to put money on it.
Old 06-15-04, 09:07 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

I'd love to see a movie series based on the Amber novels by Roger Zelanzy. I had heard rumors that the there was going to be a movie, but never heard anything since. I know at one point, a domain name was purchased by a movie studio.

You have two 5 book series that each center around one character.

Another good series was by C.S. Friedman, the coldfire trilogy.

Or how about even the 4 Dragon lance novels. I could see combining the 4 books into 2 movies.
And if it was done right, might be a pretty good movie.

Last edited by Canis Firebrand; 06-15-04 at 09:15 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.