Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Saw Spiderman 2 Yesterday

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Caught an advanced screening of Spiderman 2.

Thought it was a bit more violent than the first one.
Especially when
Spoiler:
Doc Oc wakes up in the hospital after the arms are fused to him and he wipes out everyone in the room--there's a nail scraping scene that was cinge worthy

They keep the emotions rolling and this one is
Spoiler:
equal parts love story and action story--MJ gets engaged, needs to know if Peter loves her, Harry and Peter's friendship becomes much more strained, a lot of angst on Peter's part, etc.

New characters are introduced and fleshed out.
Spoiler:
JJ Jameson's son is introduced and Dr. Conners is shown a few times

The beginning I thought was a bit corny but at the end I was ready to see it again and will be a great addition to my DVD collection.
Spoiler:
The scenes with Doc Oc walking with his arms will give the sub a great workout!

It also had a few nods to the theme song from the 60's animated series that brought out some good laughs.

Overall I thought it was enjoyable and a fine addition to the franchise. And of course I got to shake Sam Raimi's hand so that made it all the better for me.

So get ready, the 30th is coming soon.
Old 06-12-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds good. Can't wait!
Old 06-12-04, 01:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's gonna beat the first film easily, the first film was a introduction, like Xmen, and like X2, Spidey 2 will be the film that gets on with it, only films like Superman and Batman have done the first film in mind that if it was the only film, we could live with it, but Spiderman and Xmen sort of depended on the sequel to continue on.
Old 06-12-04, 01:54 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 913 Likes on 773 Posts
Can we get a little more of a review sans spoilers? Was it better than the 1st? Thanks.
Old 06-12-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
How did you get to see it man?
Old 06-12-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't wait till tuesday. thanks for the heads up. Glad to see you enjoyed it.
Old 06-12-04, 05:55 PM

Did the guy out of Nickelback do the theme song again?
Old 06-12-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

this is gonna be great!
Old 06-12-04, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by jhansla
I dont think so.
Old 06-12-04, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Originally posted by scott1598
Can we get a little more of a review sans spoilers? Was it better than the 1st? Thanks.
Overall I found it to be a lot more adult than the first one. Like I mentioned with the violence and the love story(s). You know the characters so there's not nearly as much setup as was needed in the first one.
For me, it was really being true to the comic in that they were showing all the problems an average college student would face but it's all doubled with Peter having to be Spiderman. It really focuses alot on school, work, emotional problems that he faces and some major decisions he has to make.
Is it better than the first.......that's a toughie. I thought it started corny and I was thinking to myself "Will this be in my DVD collection?" but at the end I thought it was a well-rounded movie. And takes the story to the next level. There's also a setup for part 3 which could go a couple of different ways.
I would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed the first one and for those who may have found the first one "too cartoony."

Enjoy, it's a good one.
Old 06-12-04, 09:14 PM

A HUGE set up for Spider-man 3! You can make NO mistake on who will be the bady in part 3
Old 06-12-04, 09:21 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
A HUGE set up for Spider-man 3! You can make NO mistake on who will be the bady in part 3

i can't wait! i love RHINO!

Old 06-12-04, 09:21 PM

Originally posted by whynotsmile
i can't wait! i love RHINO!

Old 06-12-04, 09:26 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by jhansla
I believe it's Dashboard Confessional that has the honor this time around and the track is called Vindicated. They are already playing it on the radio and MTV.

It's a pretty good song.
Old 06-12-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Could it be...

Old 06-12-04, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by PopcornTreeCt
Could it be...

Could be...but....there is someone else
Old 06-12-04, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
Could be...but....there is someone else
Spoiler:
Reptilian in nature, or someone taking on the family business?
Old 06-12-04, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Can't wait till tuesday. thanks for the heads up. Glad to see you enjoyed it.
Planning to go to the premiere on the 22nd?
Old 06-13-04, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Wow.. wow... wow.. wow.. I can't say how much I loved this film. I really can't. It beats out superman on hero flicks. The train scene alone beats that out.

Yes there is a huge set up for the villian in Spidey 3. I do hope it is not just a single villian this time.

now for tuesday for the second viewing.
Old 06-13-04, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
Spoiler:
Reptilian in nature, or someone taking on the family business?
Spoiler:
A was set up a little but B was set up and knocked completely out of the ball park. Consider B the major set up.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-13-04 at 05:30 AM.
Old 06-13-04, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My buddy saw this a couple months ago (he knows somebody ). He said that it's a lot better than the first one.

But then again, his favorite movie is:
Old 06-13-04, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This will be in my DVD collection day 1. The sound effect, the theater shaking, I mean literally shaking during the scenes with Doc Oct. is going to be the wet dream of every Home Theater show off's collection.

There was a nice little "Evil Dead"ish scene in there
Spoiler:
with the inclusion of a FREAK'N CHAINSAW!!!!!
One scene completely reminded me of Tree Rape. Only without the tree or the rape.. uh yeah.

Loved it. Not to mention meeting Sam after it, shaking his hand while he wasn't in his typical suit was very damn kick ass.

Also, while I hated with a passion the freeze frame used in Harry Potter I loved the freeze frame used in spidey 2.

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-13-04 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-13-04, 01:35 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by SeanValen
It's gonna beat the first film easily, the first film was a introduction, like Xmen, and like X2, Spidey 2 will be the film that gets on with it, only films like Superman and Batman have done the first film in mind that if it was the only film, we could live with it, but Spiderman and Xmen sort of depended on the sequel to continue on.
Thats not quite true. Until Richard Donner was fired and the script underwent a major re-write, Superman was always designed to be two movies that fit together. They still do fit, just not as well.

I seem to recall that some footage for II was shot at the same time I was.
Old 06-13-04, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by scott1598
Ask and you shall recieve.

Spiderman 2 expands on everything good from the first and runs with it on a rollercoster ride that will bring those with a taste of Sam's past works excited while bringing new viewers the sense and style that he has. Those of you who have not seen the first one (is there anyone like that?) can go into it fresh with a nicely done recap of things that happened in the first while kicking off full speed with the spidey of the here and now.

Characters emotions are mixed in with the storyline and battle well enough that even in it's slow periods you are very much into the film. The effects, which were a main focus throughout the many teasers and trailers as part of potential flaws are not seen as such. The effects flow smoothly with the action and perhaps if you are looking with all attention to that, you may notice a flaw here or there does not ever take you away for the scene.

Even the sound element is there in full glory. I would suggest going to a theater with the best sound system around because for the scenes with Doc Oct you will want to enjoy it at it's full glory. It will shake your theater.

The acting is above the normal. Alfred as Doc. Ock was great. His performance was perfect. Conveying the feelings right on. Toby's acting again hits it as to where Peter should be. A lot of emotional strain has gotten him down and the ups and downs to this are well pictured and tested on his character. Dunst does a conviencing job as mary jane and even though I was never one to complain about her taking on the torch as M.J. I will have to say that it was stapled home even more in her last line of the film said to Peter. That is what M.J. was missing in the first film and she got it dead on in this one.

The set up for the third was planted and very nicely. and the story progressed at a good pace. Never feeling to short nor feeling like it was dragging on. Felt long enough to enjoy it all. There was nothing after the credits but both the credit roll and the beginning title graphics were beyond my expectations and well beyond the ones from the first film filling in any sort of gap that may have been there.

This is the movie event of the summer. Shrek 2 may be pulling in big numbers but Spidey 2 will be the biggest film this summer no matter what. I can see it doing way more in repeat viewings and will shatter box office records without a doubt. I loved it. Loved it so much will see it again before it hits theaters.

20/5
A++++++++
GO WATCH IT
Thumbs up

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 06-13-04 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-13-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let me tell you the story...the story of a Man with the proportionate strength, speed, and agility of a spider.

But none of that is important. They should have called his movie "Peter Parker: By the way, there might be some incidental appearance of the Spider-man superhero."

Or maybe...Who Cares About Spider-man?

Raimi did in this sequel what he did in the first movie...i don't want to say it was an improvement, as that would imply some inferiority or failing on the director's initial attempt. Instead...i will say that he's evolved. He cast off a few vestigial limbs and then crawled out of the muck. This is the shit, true believer. It's a trick; Spider-man is a secret weapon meant to deliver Peter Parker, the greatest character ever to be born in Comicdom; nay, FICTION, ever.

Wanna know why?

Cuz Peter Parker represents you. He doesn't come home to a hot wife and a mansion with a secret lair. He comes home to an empty apartment filled with unpaid bills. There's no reward for his efforts. Perhaps he's paying a penance. But you know this much: his life sucks. And your's does too, at times. Not when you face a mad scientist with mechanical arms fused to his body, but when you face a stack of bills that you can't pay, a hungry family, an impossibly high college tuition, car repairs, it goes on and on. You feel so helpless, so powerless. And even with the powers of a radioactive spider endowed upon you, they couldn't be solved. Instead...you'll need to just settle for being a Man.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.