Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My XBOX is pissing me off!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My XBOX is pissing me off!

I bought an XBOX last week. It has the samsung drive not the crappy Thompson drive and it is suppose to be problem free. Well sure as shit KOTOR freezes every 15 min. Full Spectrum Warrior freezes after about 30. And now PGR2 is doing it. It worked fine for the first few days. What is going on? Anyone else had these problems. I'm going to exchange it this weekend.
Old 06-10-04, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
No - these problems are associated with a defective xbox. It's not something that Xbox owners suffer through. I'm sure these problems will go away when you get a replacement. Since you're getting it replaced/exchanged - what exactly is the point of this rant?
Old 06-10-04, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably that he has to exchange it.
Old 06-10-04, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have one of the crappy Thompson drives and so far *knock on wood* haven't had any problems with it in the year or so i've had it. Normally what is the time frame for these DDE's to start ocurring in the life of the drive?
Old 06-10-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Thompson drives can last anywhere from a year to forever. Those people who had problems usually experience problems within 2-3 years of average use. Same time-frame for the PS2 drive failures.
Old 06-10-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
No - these problems are associated with a defective xbox. It's not something that Xbox owners suffer through. I'm sure these problems will go away when you get a replacement. Since you're getting it replaced/exchanged - what exactly is the point of this rant?
My rant is that freezing games is an XBOX trademark. I thought I'd be safe with a new one with the samsung drive. But nope. I don't understand why microsoft can't fix the problem. My friend bought one last week too and he took his back the same day for the same problem. He lives about 2000 miles from me so there is no chance it was a defective run of the asymbly line.
Old 06-10-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You got a defective Xbox. Hopefully your 30 day has not expire yet.
Old 06-10-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
My rant is that freezing games is an XBOX trademark. I thought I'd be safe with a new one with the samsung drive. But nope. I don't understand why microsoft can't fix the problem. My friend bought one last week too and he took his back the same day for the same problem. He lives about 2000 miles from me so there is no chance it was a defective run of the asymbly line.
Ok - freezing games is an Xbox trademark. Xbox sucks. Nobody should buy one. Your extensive research - two out of umpteen million sold - has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that M$ is a bunch of crooks. I can't argue with facts.
Old 06-10-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Stuff happens. It's actually better for you that it happened while still under warranty (presumably). Just take it back where you bought it and all should be good.

I did have a couple of crashes with KOTR but that was across 50 hrs or so, so it certainly shouldn't be every 15 min.
Old 06-10-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I've only had GTA Vice City crash on me once. Thats a lot less than the PS2 version. Sounds like you just have a bad Xbox (my first Xbox a couple of years ago was a dud as well) just return it and get a new one.
Old 06-10-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
Ok - freezing games is an Xbox trademark. Xbox sucks. Nobody should buy one. Your extensive research - two out of umpteen million sold - has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that M$ is a bunch of crooks. I can't argue with facts.
Can you calm the hell down? Who are you? Bill Gates son? I didn't mean to strike a nerve. I hadn't had any problems with my PS2 or my Gamecube. That doesn't mean they are better than the XBOX. I never said no one should buy one, I never said they suck. So far it's the best system as far as games and graphics and FUN go. I'm going to exchange it. But having a friend with the same problem. People on other forums saying theirs does the same thing. Microsoft having to replace a drive manufacturer 3 times now because of it. But you're right I'm the one being the dick. You're awsome.

Last edited by Mopower; 06-10-04 at 11:11 PM.
Old 06-10-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I've only had GTA Vice City crash on me once. Thats a lot less than the PS2 version. Sounds like you just have a bad Xbox (my first Xbox a couple of years ago was a dud as well) just return it and get a new one.
I read in GamePro that GTA wasn't playable with the Thompson drives, which one do you have?
Old 06-10-04, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Just be glad it was under warranty. I've blown through 4 xboxes, I'm now on my fifth.
Old 06-10-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Funny I have had xbox since release day and it only freezes on me when my game disk's are dirty. But other than that it runs like a champ.
Old 06-10-04, 11:59 PM

The freezing of games is actually a problem with the xbox, I dont remember if its the motherboard or the HD, but it is not the DVD rom.
Old 06-11-04, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by Gideon68
I read in GamePro that GTA wasn't playable with the Thompson drives, which one do you have?
I have an Xbox with a Thomson drive that is over 2 years old, and I haven't had any real problems with GTA or any other game. Once in a while (maybe 3 times a year) I'll get the dirty disc message, but if I just eject the disc and put it in again it works. Actually I haven't gotten that message since I, uh, somehow have had my games playable on the hard drive.

I read something on another forum about a guy having a problem with one of the games in the GTA pack, but it's probably a bug in the game since he has his (legally purchased, like mine is) game copied to the hard drive. I haven't had Vice City freeze on me yet, but then again, I just recently started over after not playing it for a while and I've never been really far into the game. I think GTA III froze on me once, but I've played that a lot more-I've completed EVERYTHING except the off-road missions. Those are a bitch.

If it's freezing in different games after 15-30 mins. it sounds like the system's overheating, but it shouldn't have that problem.
Old 06-11-04, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mopower, what is the manufacture date on your xbox that freezes?
Old 06-11-04, 04:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mopower
Can you calm the hell down? Who are you? Bill Gates son? I didn't mean to strike a nerve. I hadn't had any problems with my PS2 or my Gamecube. That doesn't mean they are better than the XBOX. I never said no one should buy one, I never said they suck. So far it's the best system as far as games and graphics and FUN go. I'm going to exchange it. But having a friend with the same problem. People on other forums saying theirs does the same thing. Microsoft having to replace a drive manufacturer 3 times now because of it. But you're right I'm the one being the dick. You're awsome.
Hey look - you posted this thread complaining about your defective Xbox and asked a question "what's going on?" From my perspective, it looked like you were simply trying to provide a place for people to dog on the xbox as being a crappy inferior piece of hardware that is poorly manufactured. 'What's going on' is that you purchased a defective electronics item... it happens. You asked if anyone else had these problems as if Xbox owners simply put up with the game freezes and still like it or else if others had purchased a defective one and had to replace it. I answered your question by saying it's not something all Xbox owners endure and that (telling you something you obviously already knew) yours was defective and needed to be returned. I asked you what the point of your rant was because it seemed like you already knew your Xbox was defective and you were getting it replaced.

You fire back suggesting that "Freezing games is an Xbox trademark" as if to suggest that only Xbox has this problem and furthermore, all Xboxes exhibit this problem - well, that's simply not true. PS2 has game freeze problems just as much if not more than Xbox and it's certainly not as common as you make it out to be. You also suggest that Microsoft knows about and refuses to address this "problem" as if to suggest they are evil and like to screw people over... another rediculous statement since they are a business and having hardware failures just hurts their bottom line. Defective returns have to be returned to MS to be fixed and sold as refurbished or whatever they do - either way it's not cost effective to manufacture defective crappy products. And as proof to back up your claims, you mention that your friend who lives 2000 miles away had the same problem. This also leads you to the conclusion that this makes it impossible for them to have come from the same assembly line (since Xboxes are assembled inside Best Buy?).

My reply to that was simply a reflection of what you were saying to me. That's what it sounded like. It was a satirical and humorous way to get out of having to argue by agreeing with you and exaggerating your position. Basically, I just didn't want to argue about it. I didn't call you names or personally attack you or say anything insulting.

So now here we are. First you're painting me as hyper or excited or whatever... I didn't do that to you even though out of the two of us, you're the only one using colorful language and explitives. Second, you (not so) cleverly accuse me of being an Xbox fanboy by suggesting I'm related to Bill Gates. All I did was try to answer your original question. You should've stated beforehand that it was rhetorical and that you didn't want an answer (in which case you're simply console bashing). I think it's hilarious that people here try to paint me as some crazy Xbox loyalist - I don't care who says what console sucks... I like PC games best anyway. I have (and enjoy) all 3 of the current consoles and if someone tells me one of them is crappy and that it breaks all the time, that's not gonna make mine magically break or make me enjoy it any less. If you replaced the word "xbox" in this thread with "PS2", I'd be saying the same thing. Both consoles have their fair share of defective units and both are subject to wear and tear and both can have games that freeze or lock up. Neither console owns a trademark on failure though, so that was just bashing and the reason for the tone of my reply.

Third, you basically call me a dick and then say that I suck (in a sarcastic and indirect manner). That sounds like a personal attack to me. Again - I didn't say anything to you that would warrant any of these dispersions. I'm not gonna report it though cuz I don't really care. You can call me a dick or a bastard or a crazy lunatic hyper spaz all you want... because as I've established, saying things doesn't make them true.
Old 06-11-04, 10:13 AM
Admin Emeritus

Both of you guys need to calm down. I wish we could moderate this forum less tightly, but people get too easily bent out of shape.