Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Complete Calvin & Hobbes coming in 2005

Pages : 1 [2]

pdutta2000
10-07-05, 12:05 PM
I was going to buy mine at Sam's but didn't know if they would have it and what price. So, I pulled the trigger at Overstock in August and still haven't gotten mine yet!

Seriously!! Still waiting for mine from Overstock!! Saw it at my local CostCo last night for $80 and then cursed Overstock for not even shipping it yet.

Buford T Pusser
10-07-05, 02:04 PM
Didn't see at Costco today either.

But when I arrived home there was a large box in the front door. Shame on me for doubting our mail carrier.

Haven't opened it yet. It's for Mrs. Pusser's Christmas so I can't let her see what's inside.

Spiderbite
10-07-05, 05:45 PM
I was at my Costco today & they had only about 10 copies all priced at $80.99. Good price but I like my price at Overstock better especially with no sales tax which saved me 9%! Worth the wait. They said that it has been shipped so I hope to see it by the first of next week.

BTW...I picked it up at Costco...dear lord the damn thing is heavy. It will make a great doorstop. ;)

ceeece
10-07-05, 06:29 PM
Okay, just got through opening mine and looking through it briefly. Nice set. I will probably never order something so nice online again because there's a few minor flaws I wish weren't there. For example a small hole in the back of the slipcase. I guess I'll get over it.

Blade
10-07-05, 08:41 PM
I went to my local Costco yesterday and it wasn't on the floor yet. I asked about it and they had them in stock, but weren't sure where they were as they weren't in the book section.

Got a call this morning that they found them up on the racks and that they would be on the floor when they openned today. I think I'll stop by tomorrow and pick up my set. :D

But if you don't see it at your Costco, ask them to check stock on the computer. They may be out, but they may also just not be out on the floor yet.

Buford T Pusser
10-08-05, 12:08 AM
I couldn't wait any longer and opened it. I just did a quick look through the books and no problems. I think I'll read the stuff in the first book and wrap it up for Christmas.

UWSarge
10-08-05, 03:59 PM
Went to my local Costco (Torrance) and picked it up this morning. They had about 2 dozen or so still on the floor. Time to start reading. :)

Snow Wolf
10-08-05, 06:34 PM
Overstock sent me a pretty useless tracking number. All it says is that the USPS was notified of a package or something. Great :(

movielib
10-08-05, 06:39 PM
I ordered it from Overstock on October 3 and got it on the 7th, with the slowest shipping.

:up: Overstock!

movielib
10-09-05, 01:05 AM
Overstock sent me a pretty useless tracking number. All it says is that the USPS was notified of a package or something. Great :(
That's always the first step in tracking. When it gets to the next distribution center after the one in your town that info will be added. All your message means is that it hasn't gotten to that next step yet. Check it every day and you will see progress.

RichardW
10-09-05, 10:37 AM
I will probably never order something so nice online again because there's a few minor flaws I wish weren't there. For example a small hole in the back of the slipcase. I guess I'll get over it.

That's why I spent the extra money and got it at Barnes & Noble. It was $120 plus tax, but I was able to hand-pick mine.

MBoyd
10-09-05, 11:20 AM
the bottom front left corner of mine was slightly dented. Can't tell when on the shelf. This was from Amazon and could have been avoided if they had put some padding at the bottom of the box instead of only on top of the book to fill the box up. It was shipped from Dallas so it was only in the UPS pipeline one day.

I was a fan since the first day it premiered, but I really havent read Calvin and Hobbes since I was 15 in 1986. That's when we moved to Albany Georgia where the paper didn't carry the strip. I've flipped around a few books and probably read the last month or so of the strips, but I'm looking forward to catching all the years I missed.

Spiderbite
10-09-05, 06:49 PM
That's why I spent the extra money and got it at Barnes & Noble. It was $120 plus tax, but I was able to hand-pick mine.

Seeing how I saved $55 (with tax) over what you paid...I think I'll take my chances online.

RichardW
10-09-05, 07:34 PM
As far as I'm concerned, I would've paid $200 for this set. It's that awesome.

MBoyd
10-09-05, 08:23 PM
So are you guys keeping or throwing out the paper that separates the volumes inside?

silentbob007
10-09-05, 11:18 PM
I ordered mine from Overstock on October 5th and it shipped on the 6th. Looking forward to the set, though I think I already own most of the strips from the smaller collections.

Chew
10-10-05, 06:04 AM
Let me just say that the pictures do not do justice to just how massive this set is!

Buford T Pusser
10-10-05, 09:50 AM
That's what she said.

ceeece
10-10-05, 09:57 AM
I saw 6 copies at Sam's for $82 and change. Now I wish I would have gone with my gut and just waited to buy from them. Oh, well. Great set. I am enjoying every panel!!

jrc123
10-10-05, 11:02 AM
Are there still others out there (like me) that "pre-ordered" this from Overstock a month or so ago only to show that it is still "in process"?

I've contacted Overstock twice (and emailed without getting an answer) and they have told me 1) check back on 10-10 because it takes 2-4 business days for something to ship once it is released. 2) Checked back today with them (still showing "in process") and they have requested a "shipping update" which will take 2-4 more days. That's right, they can't tell me the status of the order or if/when it ever shipped. Also, they can't cancel the order so I can just go buy it at Costco. I would have to wait for the book to arrive (of course, they can't tell me when that magical day would be) and then return it. I'm afraid to think what kind of condition this book will be in if/when it finally shows up.

Snow Wolf
10-11-05, 09:10 AM
My order from Overstock apparently shipped on October 2nd. Still waiting....

Yo Mama
10-11-05, 10:16 AM
Buy it from costco, return overstock to costco

Buford T Pusser
10-11-05, 10:20 AM
Waits for responses...

silentbob007
10-11-05, 04:48 PM
Received mine from Overstock today. It is in very good shape.

Buford T Pusser
10-11-05, 05:19 PM
Mine was in damn fine shape and decently padded. :thumbsup: to Overstock's shipping department.

Spiderbite
10-11-05, 06:01 PM
Got mine from Overstock today. It was decently padded but was still a little too loose for my liking. They shipped another book I ordered (House of Leaves) with it. The paperback covers were smashed to shit on it & I intend to contact Overstock about it.

Calvin & Hobbes looked fine. There is a small crease in the bottom of the left front corner of the box and the first book but nothing I can't live with. I still saved over 12 bucks by bypassing my Costco so I can't complain.

Jeez it is a beautiful book. Looks very nice near my Far Side collection. Funny, I can't think of any comic strips that I would buy a collection like this for other than those two. No others compare that I can think of (although the first few years of Get Fuzzy were pretty good).

Spiderbite
10-11-05, 08:27 PM
Okay...the more I have thought about it, the more it is bugging me so I want some outside opinions. I asked for my wife's opinion but she said it was my book & my decision (damn wives...never any help when you finally ask their opinion for once ;))

Here are a couple of pix of my set. Would it bug you enough to go thru the trouble of returning it back to Overstock...which means mailing it back, waiting some more & praying for a new copy to be sent that is not in the same or worse shape than the current one?

My wife asked me if I was ever going to sell it in the future & my answer is no. don't think it gets any better than this release and will likely have it until I die. Then my wife asked if I would have picked one up at the store in this condition & I also answered no. I know I have been bragging about my savings over brick mortar but I may be acting a little too anal about the condition. What do you guys think?

Evidence Photo #1: Copy of Book 1. The pages are a little crinkled but you can't really see them when you are reading the book. As you can see, the outside is crinkled.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/calvinhobbs004.jpg

Evidence Photo #2: Outer box at the top. Material has a small tear & box has crinkle.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/calvinhobbs003.jpg

Evidence Photo #3: Outside lower left corner of box crinkled.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/calvinhobbs002.jpg

Evidence Photo #4: Crinkle of lower left side of box & book 1 and 2 with small crinkles.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/calvinhobbs001.jpg

And just for shits and giggles...here is the copy of House Of Leaves. It arrived looking worse but I tried to smooth out the covers. It is definitely going back.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/houseleaves002.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/robbrism/houseleaves001.jpg

So what do you guys think? Send them both back or live with what I have? It is already unwrapped so it is not like I can take it back to Books A Million and return it. Am I being too anal or not anal enough? Thanks.

Buford T Pusser
10-11-05, 08:48 PM
That would be a bit annoying to me.

dtcarson
10-11-05, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I would at least complain to overstock. The box I guess I could deal with, because odds are it would get a little funky sometime just sitting in your house, or in a move, but the books themselves being damaged, I don't think I'd like that.
You saved 12 bucks, but still, you should get something in 'new' or 'like new' condition. You still paid, what, 70-80 bucks for it? Paying a cheaper price doesn't mean you should get damaged goods [unless of course it's advertised as being damaged].

Rainet
10-11-05, 09:06 PM
why is it whenever i order a book from amazon and barnes, at least half the time they have nixs,bent or a bit scratched. You asked yourself how hard is it to pack up a book safely.

I feel for you, I bought the peanuts box 1950-54 and the bind was completely cut in it's unopened package. Yes i returned it and got another one. But it's such a pain in the ass, not a HUGE pain but pain notheless. You think if they spent an extra 20 seconds making sure it's packaged right. Sorry went off course, had to vent. Seeing your pictures brought back ..well too many memories.

MBoyd
10-11-05, 09:51 PM
Looks way worse than mine. I had a small crinkle/dent on the same corner (but on the bottom) of the slipcase and thats it. I would return it.

kevin75
10-11-05, 10:29 PM
i would let them know you are upset and demand a new one. if i had what is in your pics, that would piss me off to no end. especially if it was that expensive.

Bean-si
10-12-05, 10:04 AM
I have to agree with Brianluvdvd. It's an absolutely gorgeous book.

However, if I were you I'd return it. My copy from Amazon had some slight damage on the corner of the box. But the volumes themselves are fine. It's nowhere near as bad as yours.

In my case it's tolerable and there's no way I'm letting this puppy out of my hands.

muttonhead
10-12-05, 10:52 AM
Add me to the list of those unhappy with Overstock's packaging of the set. Mine arrived yesterday, and I was horrified as soon as I saw the postman pulling the big box from his van. One of the top box flaps was wrenched up, and I could see the green packing paper peeking out.

The horror continued when he presented me with the box. The corners were all smashed in, and that one top box flap was only hit with the packing tape on one corner! The shipping box is quite a bit bigger than the books, and poor Calvin was placed in the box so that the slipcase was right up against one wall of the shipping box. The green packing paper was bunched up into the remaining space in the other side of the box.

Because of the slipcase butting directly up against the shipping box, the slipcase has smashed corners. Why couldn't the gorilla who packaged it have put the set in the middle of the box so the green paper could cushion both ends? And why would they not let me upgrade the shipping option for this? Sending a book of this size and weight via Media Mail is just risky unless it's scientifically packaged.

I emailed Overstock yesterday afternoon to see what they say. No reply yet.

Below are pictures taken as it arrived:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/mcnultyco/book1.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/mcnultyco/book2.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/mcnultyco/book3.jpg
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b323/mcnultyco/book4.jpg

Spiderbite
10-12-05, 02:12 PM
Wow, that looks strangely familiar. :(

Thanks for all the opinions. I have decided to return my copy.

Chew
10-12-05, 02:20 PM
I guess I'm one of the few to be happy with how it was shipped from Overstock. It arrived in perfect condition.

ceeece
10-12-05, 02:53 PM
Can it be returned if the celophane is has been taken off? Mine has a bump on top corner and small hole in the back of the slip case. The books are fine though. It doesn't look as bad as the pics posted here though.

MBoyd
10-12-05, 03:21 PM
sure. Just say you didnt know how bad it was until the wrapping was off.

muttonhead
10-12-05, 03:25 PM
I'm glad that at least some shipments have been packaged securely. Sucks that apparently the Samsonite gorilla was let loose on the rest! I'm really pissed because years ago I did some mail order packaging for a movie collectable store, and I made damn sure everything I packaged could be shot from a cannon and still arrive unscathed. And then this arrives at my doorstep.

I'm still waiting for a response from Overstock. At first I tortured myself with the decision of removing the shrinkwrap until I heard from them. Ultimately I decided there's no way in hell I'm going to return it to them for an exchange, so I unwrapped it. As brianluvdvd pointed out, the replacement could arrive in even worse shape.

On a side note, several pages of my Volume 1 were stuck together. I had to literally rip them apart. Now I'm pissed about that, but that's not Overstock's fault. Anyone have this problem?

And that "House of Leaves"..... yikes! Overstock should be ashamed of the way that ended up.

Liquid Death
10-12-05, 08:09 PM
Got mine from Overstock today, shipped the same as the pictures above, but no damage (the box top was even open slightly as well), except for a minor wrinkle on one of the lower corners.

Snow Wolf
10-13-05, 08:21 AM
Finally got mine. I was horrified to see the shape of the cardboard box the set was packaged in, but luckily the boxset was fine except for a couple minor wrinkles. The books themselves are fine.

Still, this is the last time I order from Overstock.

movielib
10-13-05, 09:11 AM
I think the set I got from Overstock was very badly packed. Way too little padding. As someone who sells one or two dozen books and other items each day on Amazon (from my store) we pack everything completely in bubble wrap and then it goes into an envelope or a box if it's too big for the largest envelope. We get praise for our packing regularly in feedback. It's not hard to do and it's not particularly expensive.

Fortunately, my set, including the box, was close to perfect but I'm not sure I'd order something like this from Overstock again.

RichardW
10-13-05, 09:33 AM
The only thing I've ever ordered from Overstock is DVDs. I always buy books in the store so I can pick them out. I'm really anal about my books. Sorry to hear you guys have had so many problems with this set.

zekeburger1979
10-14-05, 02:25 PM
According to the tracking information available at USPS's site:

The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper or shipping partner on October 06, 2005 to expect your package for mailing. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later.

On My Account page on Overstock, it was shipped on the 6th. Seeing that silentbob's was shipped the same day, I should have gotten it by now. Hopefully it'll come tomorrow or Monday. I can't wait!

Randy Miller III
10-14-05, 02:28 PM
Finally got mine yesterday after it "shipped" on 10/3. It looked to be in great shape, save for a small corner ding on the outer box that also lightly affected Book 3. After hearing the horror stories above, I guess I got lucky---but I doubt I'll buy something like this from Overstock in the future.

Alvis
10-15-05, 09:35 AM
I want this set so badly. But I opted to build a new pc in September so I don't have any expendable cash. :(

zekeburger1979
10-17-05, 12:32 PM
I got mine today! Woohoo! The set was in excellent condition save for a crushed corner, which I don't care about since the couple that I looked at Barnes and Noble had the same problem. I can't wait to dig into this.

Thanks to Andrews McMeel Publishing and especially Bill Waterson.

ytrez
10-17-05, 03:33 PM
That's him.

I could post some pix of the article and his photo if anyone cares.

I'd like to see them.

Buford T Pusser
10-17-05, 11:45 PM
Damn! 11 days later someone wants to see it. Well I need to find where I put the clipping and get some pix, etc.

bboisvert
10-18-05, 03:44 PM
Wow, I didn't realize how lucky I was to get one in mint condition. Amazon shipped mine promptly and without any damage (this was my final order ever with "Share the Love" attached... sniff.)

The slipcover and books are minty fresh. This is a fantastic set -- I've already been reading for a couple of hours each night. :thumbsup:

zekeburger1979
10-19-05, 09:57 AM
Did Bill Watterson take a week off in January 1988?

I'm asking because page 383 in Book 1 is the Sunday January 17th strip, then page 384 is the Sunday January 24th strip.

Tracer Bullet
10-19-05, 10:27 AM
Did Bill Watterson take a week off in January 1988?

I'm asking because page 383 in Book 1 is the Sunday January 17th strip, then page 384 is the Sunday January 24th strip.

Were the daily strips from that period a continuing story? They're not dividing them up with the Sundays, so some Sunday strips are back-to-back.

zekeburger1979
10-19-05, 11:22 AM
Were the daily strips from that period a continuing story? They're not dividing them up with the Sundays, so some Sunday strips are back-to-back.

I forgot about that. Thanks. Now back to your regularly schedule Calvin and Hobbes reading.

zekeburger1979
10-24-05, 08:52 PM
CNN.com article about Watterson (with pic goodness!) (http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/books/10/24/reclusive.cartoonist.ap/index.html)

neiname
10-27-05, 08:36 AM
I must say I am in the middle of volume 1 and have had countless laugh out loud moments. I never followed Calvin and Hobbes before but got this set on a recommendation and love it.

Around page 380 or so there seems to be a panel that is unfinished. I believe it was when Calvin and Hobbes go to Susie's birthday party (5 or 6 days devoted to it) and in the first panel Hobbes is a floating head and shoulders with no body. I think it was the one where there Hobbes eats the first piece of cake. I'll check the exact page tonight.

freudian-slip
10-27-05, 12:30 PM
A buddy of mine works for the largest book distributer in the world (they supply Costco and Amazon for starters) and he just told me a few interesting things:

1) They are 100% sold out of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes
2) The publisher says there will be NO SECOND PRINTING. This is it!
3) 250,000 were printed

I guess they were quite surprised to learn they were completely sold out. If you were on the fence, maybe this will help you decide?

I sprung for a set at Costco for myself. Absolute greatness.

slop101
10-27-05, 12:54 PM
I'm not calling you a liar, but I just find that hard to believe.

freudian-slip
10-27-05, 12:56 PM
It's being verified by a book dealer in another thread. And it does fit with Bill's non-commerical style:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442844

movielib
10-27-05, 05:57 PM
I'm not calling you a liar, but I just find that hard to believe.
Like the poster in the other thread, I assume he means by the largest book dealer in the world, Ingram, the company my stores order from.

I just looked up the C&H book and it no longer has a listing on Ingram. It appears that what freudian-slip said is true.

Get 'em while you can from wherever you can.

Spiderbite
10-27-05, 07:28 PM
I hate to see what Ebay is going to look like when the word of this gets out. It seems like that is the last thing that Watterson would want to happen judging from the articles I have read about him.

Now with that said...should I or shouldn't I raid my local Costco? ;)

freudian-slip
10-27-05, 08:39 PM
Yeah, my friend is a semi-big-whig at Ingram, and I'm a tellin' ya the truth. You can confirm much of it in the article HERE (http://www.thebookstandard.com/bookstandard/news/publisher/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001306521)

Eric D.
10-30-05, 03:57 PM
Glad that I picked this up at Costco last week then. God I love Calvin and Hobbes. It brings back such fond memories of my childhood. Nothing came close to the excitement of getting a new Calvin and Hobbes book back then...and this set is EVEN better!

Blade
10-30-05, 04:47 PM
Around page 380 or so there seems to be a panel that is unfinished. I believe it was when Calvin and Hobbes go to Susie's birthday party (5 or 6 days devoted to it) and in the first panel Hobbes is a floating head and shoulders with no body. I think it was the one where there Hobbes eats the first piece of cake. I'll check the exact page tonight.
Page 224 ! ;)

I think his arms are missing. Susies' in the panel so Hobbes is supposed to look like a stuffed animal...that's part of why it looks funny. And there's a plate in front of him that's blocking most of his body. There is a gap though, and I think his arms are supposed to be there.

FYI, I checked and it looks the same in the Something Under the Bed is Drooling collection too. So it's not a problem with the book, but with the original drawing I expect.

This is a fantastic collection. It's quite a shame that they printed so few of these. I feel sorry for the folks who are going to miss out on this.

jrc123
10-31-05, 08:26 AM
I hope there is no one out there still waiting for their order on this book from Overstock. I posted an inquiry in this thread on October 10th. After 6-7 emails that went unanswered and just as many phone calls, they finally cancelled my order without notice. This was fine with me as they have some of the worst customer service I have ever seen. Picked it up at Costco the next day.

Read this, for more horror stories about the Big "O". (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/29/overstock_byrne_feeble/)

Joe Molotov
10-31-05, 01:19 PM
They may be selling out online, but there seems to be no shortage of them at B&M stores, at least for the time being. Every bookstore in the area seems to have at least 10+ copies of it, and they don't seem to be moving very fast. They may become more popular as it gets closer to Christmas though.

slop101
10-31-05, 02:08 PM
They may be selling out online...Amazon still has it in stock, shipping in 24 hours at $94.

Nefarious
10-31-05, 04:37 PM
I stopped by my local Sam's Club and they have 11 copies left. Of course they couldn't find a single one of them. I was told to try back again today after the restocking occurs overnight.

mndtrp
11-01-05, 02:05 AM
After reading about the upcoming shortage, I stopped by Sam's Club today. They had a couple on the floor, going for about $82. Perfect condition, EXTREMELY heavy (for a book, anyway), and full of Calvin and Hobbes goodness.

andicus
11-01-05, 02:03 PM
Received my copy from Amazon.com today. Perfect condition, which is surprising, since there was no padding in the box.

Of course, it's a gift from 'Santa' to my family, so I can't open it! :sad:

Deadpool
11-03-05, 07:15 AM
For those still on the fence here is the latest Borders 25% off coupon

http://f.chtah.com/i/9/276579820/110205_coupon.html

cgray
11-03-05, 09:20 AM
i called my border's and they were charging SRP of $150. they already have it for 20% off. note that you can't use the coupon on a sale item, so you have to take 25% of $150, which isn't a great deal. maybe other borders have a lower regular price... i'm still looking for a deal, and can't seem to beat the $91 from bn.com, inc. ups shipping.

whotony
11-03-05, 05:57 PM
appreciate the effort there deadpool.
this coupon will bring the price at a borders store to about $113.00.

the coupon will take the price off the $150 full price not the $120 current actual price because they tell you that price is a discount not the true sell for price.

tacomantt
11-03-05, 06:45 PM
For those that missed this:

AMP Responds to The Book Standard's 'Calvin and Hobbes' Story

By E&P Staff

Published: October 27, 2005 3:39 PM ET

NEW YORK Thomas N. Thornton, CEO of Andrews McMeel Publishing, took issue with a story posted Tuesday on E&P's site. The article -- from The Book Standard, a sister publication to E&P -- discussed the new "Calvin and Hobbes" book collection. What follows is Thornton's letter to the editor.

I read Mr. Chafkin's story about "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" which ran in The Book Standard as is currently posted on Editor & Publisher. The article is unfair to this publishing project and also inaccurate.

The lead sentence "What could have been..." couldn't be further from the truth. The past tense use is wrong to use here. "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" IS one of the hottest and best-selling books of the holiday season.

Also incorrect is the statement that we have been unable to fill pre-orders of "many booksellers" for the book. I wish Mr. Chafkin had checked more thoroughly with the publisher before writing the article and basing it on the comments of one obviously disgruntled bookseller.

Our goal for this project is similar to the goal we had for "The Complete Far Side." We want to be as sold through as possible by the end of the calendar year. As you are well aware, books are sold on a fully returnable basis. The risk is ours and ours alone. Indeed, the higher the orders from booksellers on books without any sell-through history, the more risk we take. While that may be a sustainable business model on an inexpensive trade paperback, it could be a devastating financial blow on a book that retails for $150. Even taking what is considered a normal return in the industry would be nearly catastrophic on this type of book. If we had priced this book on the typical margin mark-up that we work on, the retail would have been a minimum of $180 and, more likely, around $240. We felt (and we could be wrong about this) that $150 was the ceiling price. To hold that price, we had to take a lower margin and, therefore, increase our risk substantially.

That being said, we still printed 100,000 copies more than we printed on "The Complete Far Side." You may be surprised to know that the nearly complete sell-through of the 150,000 copies of "The Complete Far Side" in 2003 was not anticipated by the industry. It was considered a monumental and unique success in publishing. So to have Ms. Shrieber say that Andrews McMeel Publishing is not very good at doing a book like this couldn't be more incorrect. We created the model for books like this! And her comparative should be to "The Complete Far Side" at a $135 price point, not The New Yorker at $60. We don't consider a $60 price level a good benchmark against $135 and $150 books.

"The Complete Calvin and Hobbes"' first three weeks on sale show units sold of 34,329, per Neilsen Bookscan numbers. We're delighted with that and think it supports the 250,000-copy print run and will provide the single digit returns risk that we are striving for. We have ten more weeks of on-sale time before year-end so will need to average 21,567 copies per week to sell out (250,000 less 34,329 sold = 215,671 divided by 10). Since we have averaged 11,443 for the first three weeks, you can see your lead premise is incorrect. We need to sell a lot of books in the balance of the year!

While I typically would not go into individual account activity, I will with you in this instance since Ms. Shrieber has made public in what her store ordered and what they received. What they received on "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" is more than twice what they ordered from AMP on "The Complete Far Side" in the entire two-year period that it's been available. We felt that more than double was sufficient, but ordering eight times what they've ordered on "The Far Side" in a two-year period was far too aggressive and would have created a significant return risk for us. To put their order number in perspective, Barnes & Noble would have ordered approximately 150,000 copies of the book on a pro rata basis which they, of course, did not do. Our records also show Ms. Shrieber's chain ordered 600 copies, not 1,000.

It's also important to point out that there are other sources for our books. National wholesalers and regional wholesalers were all supplied with the book in the opening stage and retailers who needed more copies or saw surprising positive early sales results availed themselves of that stock.

Not to drown in detail, but I think it is important to have some basic understanding of what it takes to produce a book like "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" and "The Complete Far Side." We had to commit to the paper, both in quantity and in guaranteed payments, in December of 2004. The amount of paper we bought essentially set our press run at that time. The enormity of this type of project requires a paper mill to insist on an early order. Without one order in hand, we made a commitment for the paper to print the 250,000 copies.

A few more details about the paper and the ink and the requirements to do a book like this:

1) Kappa board (Eska board)

total tonnage: 250 metric tones -- equivalent to 13 (20-foot) containers

2) Ink Used

Total in Kilos: 12,000 kilos (to split in cyan, magenta, yellow and black) -- equivalent to 12 metric tons (1 x 20-foot container)

3) T-saifu cloth: 110,000 meters (2,000 rolls)

4) Text paper: 2,400 metric tons (equivalent to 127 20-foot containers)

5) Number of book blocks sewn per hour -- 150 copies per machine per hour (on two machines)

6) Cases made per hour: 700 cases per hour (two casemakers used to quarter-bind)

7) Casing: 700 to 800 copies per hour (3 copies per set so 750,000 total copies cased)

The first disc went to the printer on November 15, 2004, and the first finished set was packed on May 27, 2005.

Andrews McMeel Publishing couldn't be more proud of "The Complete Far Side" and "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes." The books hold the #1 and #2 all-time record for the most expensive New York Times Bestsellers in the history of book publishing. The total sales of "The Complete Far Side" of 326,000 copies and "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" at 250,000 copies says more than I can ever say about the house's expertise in publishing large format, high price point, high production value books. At list price, "The Complete Far Side" and "The Complete Calvin and Hobbes" provide $81,510,000 for retailers' cash registers. Let's figure out how to focus more on the positives of this endeavor and less about looking for flaws when there are none.

Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Thomas N. Thornton
CEO
Andrews McMeel Publishing

kevin75
11-03-05, 09:30 PM
i saw this for $90 at the local hastings yesterday.

yashan
11-04-05, 02:05 PM
A few more details about the paper and the ink and the requirements to do a book like this:

1) Kappa board (Eska board)

total tonnage: 250 metric tones -- equivalent to 13 (20-foot) containers

2) Ink Used

Total in Kilos: 12,000 kilos (to split in cyan, magenta, yellow and black) -- equivalent to 12 metric tons (1 x 20-foot container)

3) T-saifu cloth: 110,000 meters (2,000 rolls)

4) Text paper: 2,400 metric tons (equivalent to 127 20-foot containers)

5) Number of book blocks sewn per hour -- 150 copies per machine per hour (on two machines)

6) Cases made per hour: 700 cases per hour (two casemakers used to quarter-bind)

7) Casing: 700 to 800 copies per hour (3 copies per set so 750,000 total copies cased)

The first disc went to the printer on November 15, 2004, and the first finished set was packed on May 27, 2005.

:jawdrop:

So according to the letter, during the first three weeks, they sold 34,329 sets out of the 250,000 printed. Looks like I have more time to wait for a good coupon (or price mistake ;) ) and shop around for better deal. No need to rush.

Thanks for posting. :)

Deadpool
11-04-05, 02:28 PM
Well, I really posted the coupon for those who are afraid that UPS/FED EX, etc will mess the books up. Amazon could've packed mine a little better and as a result one of the books is messed up a little...no biggie as I will enjoy these books to read and not collect, but for those that want absolute mint stuff, a B&M is the way to go with this huge set.

I wasn't aware the SRP was 150.00, so yes that sucks as a deal, but it was something if you didn't want to order online.

Now that 90 Hastings price is a good deal.

Nefarious
11-04-05, 04:25 PM
I picked up a perfectly mint copy at Sam's yesterday for $83 plus tax. Unfortunately it is a Xmas present for me (from the wife) so I can't open it :(

Seeker
11-04-05, 04:47 PM
What is Costco's price?

Anubis2005X
11-04-05, 04:49 PM
Just got it at Costco this morning. Far Side was right next to it, but I can wait longer for that one. Far Side is freaking huge! If I remember correctly, Calvin and Hobbes was 80.99 or something like that...

Alvis
11-04-05, 05:00 PM
Well, I caught up on this thread after not reading it for a couple of weeks. Hearing that this will be a limited run has pushed me over the edge. Looks like it's time sell some stuff on Ebay. :)

pdutta2000
11-04-05, 06:17 PM
Thanks for posting that letter. It's also good to see that there will be copies around this Christmas.

TabascoKid
11-06-05, 10:14 PM
Anubis -

You are correct. Calvin and Hobbes is $80.99 at Costco.

For those of you on the fence, a membership to Costco is $45. So you'll end up paying about $130 total for the membership and book, which is about what you'd pay in Barnes and Noble or whatever store you like. Buy a few DVDs there and save some cash.

TK

warswift
11-06-05, 10:23 PM
how many books come with it?

mndtrp
11-07-05, 02:05 AM
how many books come with it?
Three.

cgray
11-28-05, 04:08 PM
Just FYI for anybody still on the fence...

Prices seem to be going up: amazon and bn.com have it for $105; the sams and costco around me are sold out; buy.com hasn't had it for quite some time...

Overstock.com is having a holiday 10% off sale; I picked up a copy of _the complete..._ today for $95, no tax, inc. shipping. i couldn't find it anywhere for under $90, much less the $78 that some people got awhile ago.

I know some people have had trouble with shipping from overstock (dented boxes, etc.)... I just plan to contest it/return it if anything looks too bad. I figured with the prices going up, it was now or never. Some seem to be going on ebay for MSRP... and I imagine they'll be selling out soon.

Ocelot
12-08-05, 11:24 PM
Just FYI for anybody still on the fence...

Prices seem to be going up: amazon and bn.com have it for $105; the sams and costco around me are sold out; buy.com hasn't had it for quite some time...

Overstock.com is having a holiday 10% off sale; I picked up a copy of _the complete..._ today for $95, no tax, inc. shipping. i couldn't find it anywhere for under $90, much less the $78 that some people got awhile ago.

I know some people have had trouble with shipping from overstock (dented boxes, etc.)... I just plan to contest it/return it if anything looks too bad. I figured with the prices going up, it was now or never. Some seem to be going on ebay for MSRP... and I imagine they'll be selling out soon.

I got mines from Overstock, after fatwallet rebates and coupons, i paid about $80 for it... the thing is very heavy, one corner is dent, but the outter box only, not terribly bad. the books themselves are freshly new :)

Michael T Hudson
12-09-05, 09:15 AM
I picked up the set at Costco yesterday for my birthday for 80 bucks. It is heavy.

RockyMtnBri
12-09-05, 11:31 AM
I got mine as an anniversary gift, and I am very impressed with the set. Each volume is easily more manipulable than the Far Side set (which I also have) and very nicely done. I even like the fact that the pages are off-white so you can see the difference between them and the actual white panels.

whotony
12-09-05, 12:02 PM
i've seen the far side within the last few weeks at acouple of different borders, in case anyone was looking for it.

Michael T Hudson
12-25-05, 09:57 AM
A buddy of mine works for the largest book distributer in the world (they supply Costco and Amazon for starters) and he just told me a few interesting things:

1) They are 100% sold out of the Complete Calvin and Hobbes
2) The publisher says there will be NO SECOND PRINTING. This is it!
3) 250,000 were printed

I guess they were quite surprised to learn they were completely sold out. If you were on the fence, maybe this will help you decide?

I sprung for a set at Costco for myself. Absolute greatness.

Limited quantities: Due to the number of copies printed, The Complete Calvin and Hobbes is currently unavailable. The publisher is planning to reprint this title in April 2006 and copies will become available soon afterward. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

This is from Amazon. I wonder what the deal is.

MBoyd
12-25-05, 11:06 AM
I'm sure they are just out at Amazon because of the steep discount. I've saw at least 10 at a Barnes and Noble last weekend. Second printing is probably justified however I'd like to see these on a DVD - Rom as well within the next 5 years.

LorenzoL
12-25-05, 12:00 PM
They are still some copies left at my Canadian Sam's Club but is around $125 dollars which still a little pricey for me.

Quack
12-27-05, 05:15 PM
Just got this for Christmas and I love it, it's a great collection.

Barney1234
12-29-05, 03:22 PM
sorry repost...

Costco, 80 bucks!