Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Punk guitarist Robert Quine dies at 61

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Listen to Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend CD to hear how great this guy was.

June 8, 2004, 3:19 AM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) _ Robert Quine, a versatile punk-rock guitarist who appeared on albums by Lou Reed, Marianne Faithfull and Tom Waits, has died in Manhattan. He was 61.

Police found Quine dead in his apartment Saturday, said James Marshall, a friend. The medical examiner's office would determine the cause of death, but a note found with his body indicated suicide, police said.

Marshall said he believed Quine died May 31.

"He was an extraordinary mixture of taste, intelligence and rock 'n' roll abilities, coupled with major technique and a scholar's memory for every decent guitar lick ever played under the musical sun," Reed said in a statement Monday.

Quine's playing was first heard on record in 1977, on Richard Hell and the Voidoids' "Blank Generation." He also appeared on Reed's "The Blue Mask" in 1982 and in the 1990s played with such artists as Matthew Sweet and Lloyd Cole.

Quine, who was older than most of his punk-rock peers and nearly bald, typically wore button-down shirts and sport coats. He once said he looked like a "deranged insurance salesman."

He was born in Akron, Ohio and graduated from Earlham College in Richmond, Ind. He received a law degree from Washington University law school in St. Louis.

Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press
Old 06-08-04, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is rather sad, but not unexpected news. From a friend in the know's account; he shut himself in/off in that aprtment after his wife passed on last year.
It's strange that heroin was the drug of chioce (allegedly) as my recolection was that he helped get Hell straight & off the junk in the 80's.Or maybe not. H is pretty much a one way ticket.
I dred the has been "punks" coming out the woodwork jawing on this one like they did with Dee. For a so-called "movement" that was against hippies-we sure can come of as smug/sycophantic/
loopy when one of our "heros" dies like those granola heads.
Richardhell.com is the place to check out.
Old 06-08-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by funkydjmcescher
This is rather sad, but not unexpected news. From a friend in the know's account; he shut himself in/off in that aprtment after his wife passed on last year.
It's strange that heroin was the drug of chioce (allegedly) as my recolection was that he helped get Hell straight & off the junk in the 80's.Or maybe not. H is pretty much a one way ticket.
I dred the has been "punks" coming out the woodwork jawing on this one like they did with Dee. For a so-called "movement" that was against hippies-we sure can come of as smug/sycophantic/
loopy when one of our "heros" dies like those granola heads.
Richardhell.com is the place to check out.
I don't know if todays "punks" even know who Television was.

Todays "punks" are nothing but yesterday's hippies with better taste in music. They have the exact same attitude as the hippies of the 60s, especially when it comes to politics.
Old 06-08-04, 06:32 PM
Cool New Member

I have never been into punk that much but he was the main reason Matthew Sweet became one of my favorite artists. The guy had a quirky style that just made you want to hear more. A true shame.
Old 06-09-04, 10:20 AM

I don't know if todays "punks" even know who Television was

Well, Bob played in Hell's band. I don't recal a stint in TV, but minor quibble.
As for better taste in music, I dunno. As a person that usually suffered through a few hundred generic HC bands to get to a 1/2 way decent act ,the word TASTE is pretty subjective in MHO.
As for politics: don't know & don't care. I did @ one time when it was mixed with music, but now that seems so idiotic & idealistic.

Regan was a putz, I'll give you that.
Old 06-09-04, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by nodeerforamonth
I don't know if todays "punks" even know who Television was.
Seeing as how Television wasn't punk I don't see how this matters.
Old 06-09-04, 10:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
This is terrible news. Quine helped create so much amazing work by so many seminal artists. I'm going to have to put on The Blank Generation and The Blue Mask tonight.