Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Buffy Season 6 question (spoilers)

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-04, 11:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy Season 6 question (spoilers)

Ok, so Buffy died at the end of Season 5...

I am only half way through season 6 right now, so please don't spoil anything...But if she died, shouldn't a new Slayer have been born?
Old 06-07-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I remember correctly, Buffy died for the first time during season 1. At that time, Faith was called. So really, Faith has been "the" slayer since that time. Buffy is just an anomaly. Only if Faith was to die would another slayer be tapped.
Old 06-07-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What Morf said.
Old 06-07-04, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, Kendra was called when Buffy died. Faith was called when Kendra died.

But the rest is accurate. Since the first death, Buffy has been an anomaly and 'out of the loop'.
Old 06-07-04, 01:05 PM

Originally posted by bboisvert
Actually, Kendra was called when Buffy died. Faith was called when Kendra died.

But the rest is accurate. Since the first death, Buffy has been an anomaly and 'out of the loop'.
That's right. I forgot about her ... she didn't last too long, did she?
Old 06-07-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been wondering about that too. Morf's explanation clears it up though.

I wish they hadn't kiled off Kendra so soon; I liked her character.

Rob
Old 06-07-04, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bboisvert is right, I didnt read the post carefully, yea Kendra was there in S2, and got whacked by Drusilla.
Old 06-07-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
When Buffy "died" at the hands of the Master at the end of the first season, the "slayer mojo" went off of her.

Meaning, a new slayer was called (Kendra) and the slayer line then went through her. So when Kendra was killed, Faith was called.

Very vague info for season seven follow:

Spoiler:
If you're confused now, wait until the seventh season/Angel season four...
Old 06-07-04, 04:49 PM

I too was wondering about this and Morf's post cleared it up. However, (spoilerized for late Season 6 info and potvin48 mentioned not being finished with Season 6):

Spoiler:
Didn't Buffy say to Giles in one of the later episodes of Season 6 (possibly the finale after Giles returns when they crack up over how everything has gotten so bad) something to the effect of "why am I back, why am I here". Giles replies that she is the slayer, and Buffy says that another would have been called up, so "What's my purpose?"

That confuses me.
Old 06-07-04, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The way I interpreted that scene, she was asking that question philosophically. Not meant to have a single correct answer.

If she had asked me that question, my answer to her would've been: two slayers are better than one at defeating evil.
Old 06-07-04, 05:39 PM

That must be it (philosophical question). It just found it strange that she specifically said:

(late Buffy S6 and Angel S1-3 spoilers):
Spoiler:
another would have been called. The implication being that if she had not been resurrected and had remained dead, a new slayer would have been called, despite the fact that Faith is still alive. Perhaps because Faith is in prison and is not technically available to be the slayer? (at least she was at that point in the series. I only watch Buffy/Angel on DVD so I've finished B6 and A3, but have no clue what, if anything, becomes of Faith in B7 / A4-5).

At the time I viewed it, I thought that whole scene was a bit contradictory, because when Buffy dies in the S1 finale, she is only dead for a few moments before being revived and that was enough time for Kendra to be called up. So, you would think the 3 months or so that Buffy was gone between S5 and S6 would have been enough time for a new slayer to be called (I believe Willow says something about Buffy being gone for months in the first episode of S6). So...back to Morf's conclusion that Faith is "the" slayer for purposes of the "one slayer in all the world" prophecy.
Spoiler:
though a lot of good it does the world to have "the" slayer in prison!
Old 06-07-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This was actually talked about a lot around the original airings of S6&7, and I think that, while most people agreed the above was probably correct (ie, the lineage now going through Faith, not B), there were certain inconsistencies in S7 that seemed to belie this. Not to mention that the Buffyverse has... shifting, let's say shifting ... logic and rules for these things (you could also ask about who sires who, if you want to enter into another fan-imbroglio...)
Old 06-07-04, 07:45 PM

Thanks for the response. I'm always tempted to read through those old threads from when the shows aired, but still trying to avoid spoilers for the remaining seasons of B&A that haven't hit DVD yet. I figured I couldn't be the only one over-thinking this a bit.

If I recall, some of the writers fess up to a few inconsistencies in the show in some of the DVD episode commentaries. I've not listened to any of the S6 commentaries yet though (learned my lesson after hearing a MAJOR S6 spoiler on S5 "I was made to love you" commentary).
Old 06-07-04, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Simple Slayer Lineage:

India Cohen (? - ~1996)
Buffy Summers (~1996 - May 1997)
Kendra (May 1997 - May 1998)
Faith (May 1998 - Present)

India was never discussed or mentioned on the show to my knowledge and her stories were completeing contained in the comics and novels. When season 1 begins is somewhat of a mystery, so I'm not sure when India died and Buffy was called. I assume Buffy was transferring to Sunnydale sometime during the middle of her sophomore school year after the incident at her previous school in L.A. and the divorce of her parents, since school seems to already be in session when she arrives in Sunnydale. She was called probably about a month before she came to Sunnydale judging by what was seen in the movie (which is not officially part of the same Buffyverse) and later the comic adaptation of Joss Whedon's original script.

Buffy's first death and subsequent resurrection activated Kendra and the line has since passed from Buffy. She is an anomaly in the lineage of Slayers and no new slayer would be called if she were to die again (temporairily or permanently). If Faith were to die, then a new slayer would be called.

Season 7 and Beyond Info:
Spoiler:
The lineage becomes muddled in Season 7 after Willow uses the Scythe of the Slayer to make all potentials into slayers. It's been rumored that no other slayers may ever be called since the power is now spread amongst dozens (or hundreds) of girls. Joss Whedon's "Fray" comic mini-series hints at this also. Fray is the first slayer to have been called in hundreds of years, presumably from the time of Buffy and Faith.

Last edited by NitroJMS; 06-07-04 at 11:37 PM.
Old 06-08-04, 04:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,879 Posts
Spoilers for Buffy Season 7/Angel Season 4:

Spoiler:

While statements are made during season seven by Buffy that imply that if she dies another Slayer will be called, we never actually see what would happen since neither she nor Faith died.

So Buffy might've been talking out of her ass.

There's also some implication that the Slayer line was damaged when Willow resurrected Buffy in "Bargaining."

There's also a huge logic problem in Angel season four. Okay, the First Evil wanted to eliminate all of the potentials in order to terminate the line. Fine. Now, why would they try to kill Faith in prison? Isn't that a perfect scenario for them? The one true Slayer is locked away safely in prison, and the FE and its Bringers can eliminate the entire line (including Buffy -- providing no new Slayer would be called after her death). Shouldn't it save Faith for last? Unless someone else -- working against the FE and Bringers, like a surviving Watcher -- hired out the hit of Faith in order to activate a new slayer. And gave the hitwoman a Bringer knife to hide their tracks. It's likely that a Watcher would have access to a Bringer knife.

And, as to what good Faith does as a slayer locked away in prison, maybe the Slayers serve another purpose. As we've seen, the First Evil has a keen interest in the Slayer line, so perhaps the existence of a Slayer and the lineage somehow binds or depowers the First Evil.
Old 06-08-04, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
Spoilers for Buffy Season 7/Angel Season 4:

Spoiler:

While statements are made during season seven by Buffy that imply that if she dies another Slayer will be called, we never actually see what would happen since neither she nor Faith died.

So Buffy might've been talking out of her ass.

There's also some implication that the Slayer line was damaged when Willow resurrected Buffy in "Bargaining."

There's also a huge logic problem in Angel season four. Okay, the First Evil wanted to eliminate all of the potentials in order to terminate the line. Fine. Now, why would they try to kill Faith in prison? Isn't that a perfect scenario for them? The one true Slayer is locked away safely in prison, and the FE and its Bringers can eliminate the entire line (including Buffy -- providing no new Slayer would be called after her death). Shouldn't it save Faith for last? Unless someone else -- working against the FE and Bringers, like a surviving Watcher -- hired out the hit of Faith in order to activate a new slayer. And gave the hitwoman a Bringer knife to hide their tracks. It's likely that a Watcher would have access to a Bringer knife.

And, as to what good Faith does as a slayer locked away in prison, maybe the Slayers serve another purpose. As we've seen, the First Evil has a keen interest in the Slayer line, so perhaps the existence of a Slayer and the lineage somehow binds or depowers the First Evil.
Wow, now that is some insight! You win the "Rupert Giles Award"

Have you considered a career switch to becomeing a Watcher?