Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does the center speaker have to be *exactly* "centered" on top/bottom of the TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Does the center speaker have to be *exactly* "centered" on top/bottom of the TV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

I realize that's probably the optimal placement, but I'll be moving soon, and found a entertainment center that I really like.

The problem is that it's shaped like a rectangle, divided into an even four spaces.

My center speaker would go into one of the top panels (fits really nicely in fact).

Now as you see, it will be off-centered. I *could* move the TV all the way to whichever side the speaker will be on, but I'd rather not do that.

Is this a bad idea? Will the off-centering be tremendously noticeable? If it would, I may just scrap the idea.

Thanks for the comments.

Last edited by DVD Josh; 06-03-04 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-03-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
That seems pretty low for a center channel. Why couldn't it sit on top of the TV?
Old 06-03-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by bralph
That seems pretty low for a center channel. Why couldn't it sit on top of the TV?
That shelf is adjustable, so I could put it directly under the lip.

The top of the TV has about 2 inches of ridge (it's REALLY flat) and it's at a slope. Wouldn't work.
Old 06-03-04, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try looking into something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....3&type=product
Old 06-03-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the idea JD but I think it wouldn't work well with my TV because the top slopes alot. Plus, I'd rather not have speaker wire hanging down the back of my tv.
Old 06-03-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think you'd notice much of a difference, really. As long as you're not in a tight space with the left/right speakers really close to the TV it would probably sound just fine. If the front speakers are immediately flanking the cabinet, then it might sound a little off having the center speaker so close to one of the fronts.
Old 06-03-04, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are set on the TV stand then I wouldn't worry about it.

If it ends up being a little low I'd tilt it up slightly.

It is a compromise but most of us do have to make some compromises when setting up our HTs.
Old 06-03-04, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The funny thing is JCJF10 is that if I had anything that would be cool to put next to the TV, I'd slide it over! Actually, I just did think of something, so I think I'll be ok.
Old 06-03-04, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How about a huge magnet? (damn_I should have asked if you had a CRT 1st.)
Old 06-08-04, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another thing you could do is build a TV hutch. It'd be pretty easy to do - just take your measurements and bring it to home depot. Find some melamine and get them cut to your specs.
Old 06-08-04, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think it has to be that closely centered. On mine (pic eher- http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=368167 the center channel is a few feet over and I can't tell.
Old 06-08-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually it is pretty easy to tell and it does make a difference. During a scene with dialog, close your eyes and picture where the people speaking are located. Just for kicks I tried this, sliding my center channel to the side of my WS set (from the direct center position). I played a couple of dialog scenes and the people "moved" left when I closed my eyes and listened.

The problem is, your brain will likely do some correction if you are watching and listening, to try and match the on-screen characters with the dialog you hear. Not sure of the effects of this, but it is definitely more natural and realistic with a centered channel.

Another possibility may be to adjust the balance on your receiver to help compensate for the off-center speaker, using the 'eyes closed' test. Not sure how well this handles surround sound, but it may help.