DVD Talk
Do you use Excel spreadsheets to organize your DVD collection? [Archive] - DVD Talk Forum
 
Best Sellers
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
9.
10.
DVD Blowouts
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99
8.
9.
10.

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Do you use Excel spreadsheets to organize your DVD collection?


OREOSpeedwagon
06-01-04, 10:16 PM
If so what are the advantages over DVDAficionado, DVD Profiler or Guzzlefish? Do you use them to keep track of how much you've spent on DVDs or what else do you use them for?

kevin75
06-01-04, 11:20 PM
i used to use excel to catalogue all of my collections. i had a very complex database with just about every concievable piece of information. then my computer crashed. :( now i use a program called dvdattache that was free and very easy to use. all i do i enter the ISBN number and it searches the net to find all of the details.

milo bloom
06-01-04, 11:39 PM
I used to Excel, but I was just typing in all the data, I'm not good at programming. Now I've got Aficionado and I'm perfectly satisfied.

TomOpus
06-01-04, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
If so what are the advantages over DVDAficionado, DVD Profiler or Guzzlefish? Do you use them to keep track of how much you've spent on DVDs or what else do you use them for? It's tough for friends and family to check out my collection with an Excel spreadsheet locally on my PC. :)

I used to keep track of all the DVD info on a spreadsheet but the online collection sites make it so much easier. Plus, for Profiler, you can download reports to print out hardcopies, if needed.

Drexl
06-01-04, 11:55 PM
I'm considering using Access to do it, but it will take a while.

FatTony
06-01-04, 11:56 PM
I use an Excel spreadsheet for my collection of ~500. The only reason I really even use it is to keep track of how much I've spent on my collection, but I also have other information in it, such as where the DVD was purchased, how many discs it has, and other goofy information.

For 2004, I've also been tracking the purchase dates of my DVDs so at the end of the year, I'll be able to wonder how I was able to afford rent in certain months.

Really, the only advantage of doing a spreadsheet is that you can use it to hone your skills with Excel, or whatever program you may use. I know it's been pretty beneficial for me. I've actually been looking into using DVDProfiler recently, but I'm dreading having to go through and enter my entire collection one by one.

The Cow
06-01-04, 11:57 PM
I use Excel to track my orders (order info and such), but after they arrive, I use an online catalog.

nemein
06-02-04, 12:08 AM
I do a little bit of everything :o

Excel to track what I own, what I have on order, what I've donated and Netflix rentals (started awhile ago when trying to figure out just what exactly my rentals/month were and I've just kept it updated). As far as what I own I just track MSRP and disk count for insurance purposes.

I also have a simple list of DVDs for the PDA/personal web site so I make sure I don't accidentally repurchase anything and it gives friends/co-workers a place to go for the complete list if they want to borrow anything (something else tracked in excel).

I use both DVDaf and Guzzlefish mainly out of habit. If it weren't for the "stats" I'd probably dump Guzzlefish as it seems the slower of the two. I like DVDaf for the fact I can create my own folders/categories. Neither of them has all the titles I own that's why I don't use either exclusively.

Edit: I also use DVDpricesearch to track my "want list" ;)

atari2600
06-02-04, 12:14 AM
i use excel to keep track of my want list...organize by want level (ie. 1 to 5), their columbia house status (enrollment, fullfillment, not available, etc) and their status (ordered, shipped, etc).

insanecollector
06-02-04, 12:14 AM
I use excel as well.

Tscott
06-02-04, 05:43 AM
After setting up collection in DVDprofiler I exported it into an excel spreadsheet. It has the advantage of being highly customizeable- I use it mainly to keep a total number of physical DVDs in addition to the standard DVD method of counting boxsets and 2-disc sets as one DVD.

Also, I keep a running tally of:
which DVDs I've yet to watch, (14 discs currently unwatched, mostly made of the most recent Buffy/Angel/Gilmore Girls season sets)
which DVDs were "blind buys" (484 of 825 bought without seeing the feature before hand)
my personal rankings from 1 to 10 for each title I own (current overall average - 7.3).

I also have simple anime and Criterion pages with rankings just because it's sometimes nice to keep track of those subsets. And last I've got a badly out of date "Not on DVD" wishlist that I need to update. (The Accidental Tourist and The Thing (1951) ) are both still listed on that page to name a couple).

x1kh
06-02-04, 06:24 AM
I am using Access to organize my DVD at my PC and at the internet with Aficionado.

Adam Tyner
06-02-04, 07:37 AM
I use MySQL.

Snowmaker
06-02-04, 07:53 AM
I use it.

marty888
06-02-04, 08:03 AM
I toss my new purchases onto DVDAF (yakes maybe 5 minutes a week total).

Then I actually <i>watch</i> my DVDs.

whatever
06-02-04, 08:26 AM
There is a great program from http://www.collectorz.com called Movie Collector also. I highly recommend it.

Qui Gon Jim
06-02-04, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by FatTony
Really, the only advantage of doing a spreadsheet is that you can use it to hone your skills with Excel, or whatever program you may use.

Not entirely true. I use DVDProfiler for my collection, but I also keep an Excel SS of the titles. I sort them by type of case since that is how I have my collection sorted on my shelves. It comes in handy when things get moved around and also if we have a number of guests over to make sure nothing has disappeared.

ScottyWH
06-02-04, 09:33 AM
I used to use this program (http://www.movieorganizer.com/) and then export to excel and then tweak it and create a website from it. You can check out an old version of my spreadsheet / website hybrid here (http://www.roadwarriorpc.com/dvd). As you can see, I stopped updating that and now I use the "big 3" DVD collection sites as I like them much better.

ScottyWH
06-02-04, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Qui Gon Jim
Not entirely true. I use DVDProfiler for my collection, but I also keep an Excel SS of the titles. I sort them by type of case since that is how I have my collection sorted on my shelves. It comes in handy when things get moved around and also if we have a number of guests over to make sure nothing has disappeared.

I think it would be pretty easy to accomplish this with DVD Profiler by specifying a location.

Ginwen
06-02-04, 11:14 AM
I export from DVD Profiler to a spreadsheet; I added a few extra columns to the spreadsheet where I keep track of how many times I've watched something, last time I watched, and what I thought of it. The spreadsheet is also handy for sorting by different things (for example if I have 90 minutes to watch a movie, I can sort by movie length)

Get Me Coffee
06-02-04, 11:32 AM
I use excel. If you guys want to take a look here it is DVD Tracker (http://users.rcn.com/james.curran/DVD Totals.xls)

JuryDuty
06-02-04, 11:58 AM
I use DVDAF for my friends to see and for PDA use.

I use Excel for me because I can be more detailed. Here is a link to look at my Excel sheet. (http://www.masellis.com/juryduty/dvd.htm)

Man, Get Me Coffee, I LOVE your charts and graphs! Is there an easy way to set those up? I have columns very similar to yours, but can't figure out how to break them down so it counts (for instance) how many PG movies I have.

Michael Corvin
06-02-04, 12:27 PM
excel. that way I have it set up for what I have spent and what my cost per disc is. $6.45. :up:

Upload it to my web page server on occasion in case the house burns down.

DVDave
06-02-04, 12:35 PM
I use excel as well, I port html to my website every once in awhile (although not to much recently) for others to look at and to my PDA for portability. I pretty much keep mine to that downloadable list (forgot the link) so when i add a title, I just copy the infor from there into my collection. Makes it simple. I've got some customization in there, but not much really....no charts and graphs yet...lol, but i do organize it by what I have up for trade, my wants, etc.

Numes
06-02-04, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by FatTony
I use an Excel spreadsheet for my collection of ~500. The only reason I really even use it is to keep track of how much I've spent on my collection, but I also have other information in it, such as where the DVD was purchased, how many discs it has, and other goofy information.

DVD Profiler does everything you described above. You can enter the price you paid, the date you bought it, and where you bought it. Those are some of the more important things to me that you can't do with Guzzlefish, and is annoying to do with DVDaf.

Plus, with DVD Profiler you can export your collection to Excel with minimal modification to the spreadsheet.

Numes
06-02-04, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by marty888
I toss my new purchases onto DVDAF (yakes maybe 5 minutes a week total).

Then I actually <i>watch</i> my DVDs.

Wow! You actually watch your DVD's? I am too busy messing with my Excel Spreadsheet, DVD Profiler, and buying DVD's to actually watch any of them :D

Defiant1
06-02-04, 01:30 PM
I thought I was the only one who used Excel for this kind of stuff. It's good to know others do too!

Damage
06-02-04, 01:49 PM
I use both MS Excel and DVDaf for my DVDs. I've been tracking my CDs on a MS Word document for years and had always thought it would be cool to track more data. When I jumped into the DVD fray back in 2000, I started tracking purchase date, price, store, etc., right from day one.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't that cool... but it builds character.

mikewendt
06-02-04, 03:10 PM
Years ago I was using Acess database, but my computer crased. I've been using the 3 in my signiture ever since. I'm happy with them.

Easley
06-02-04, 03:10 PM
What the world needs is another DVD collection organizer right? Check out my own DVD collection using my own website I created.

http://www.dvdspot.com/member=Croy

It allows you to export your collection into CSV/Excel format. Tomorrow I am releasing the ability to import a titles/upc's in text or csv format.

TBFL
06-02-04, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by whatever
There is a great program from http://www.collectorz.com called Movie Collector also. I highly recommend it.


This does the job for me and covers all my LD and ...gasp...VHS movies too.

NoxHaveN
06-02-04, 04:01 PM
:up: :up: EXCEL rocks.

Most casual users don't realize just how powerful a tool it is. I use the spreadsheet to track my DVD collection as it is easily customizable. True, the drawback is that you have to enter all the data manually for whatever you want to track, but the process is fairly quick unless you're entering the entire synopsys of the movie as well. Given the slow load times as well as the time spent on selecting the exact version of the DVD that you own when using DVDaf and other online programs, I don't think it's that much quicker / easier thank EXCEL. IMO, the primary benefit of the online organizers would have to be that it can be easily shared with others.


-NHN

dvdbase
06-02-04, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Drexl
I'm considering using Access to do it, but it will take a while.

I use a home brewed Access database (dubbed dvdbase) to keep track of my DVD purchases. But I am way behind on updating the information (actors, directors, features, year, # of discs, category, rating, etc...). I'm seriously thinking of moving to one of the online sites.

eau
06-02-04, 07:12 PM
I use Excel too :)

Mok
06-02-04, 07:23 PM
Excel works great for me I sort everything by genre.:thumbsup:

OREOSpeedwagon
06-02-04, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by JuryDuty
I use DVDAF for my friends to see and for PDA use.

I use Excel for me because I can be more detailed. Here is a link to look at my Excel sheet. (http://www.masellis.com/juryduty/dvd.htm)

Man, Get Me Coffee, I LOVE your charts and graphs! Is there an easy way to set those up? I have columns very similar to yours, but can't figure out how to break them down so it counts (for instance) how many PG movies I have.

Cool, I think I'm going to make a spreadsheet similar to yours. Simple, yet it gives everything you need to know about the movie right there. Thanks for posting yours :)

BTW if you don't mind me asking, how do you get so much free stuff from Amazon.com? (Indiana Jones set, 24 seasons, Freaks and Geeks, etc?) :)

the_dude8
06-02-04, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by NoxHaveN
:up: :up: EXCEL rocks.

Most casual users don't realize just how powerful a tool it is. I use the spreadsheet to track my DVD collection as it is easily customizable. True, the drawback is that you have to enter all the data manually for whatever you want to track, but the process is fairly quick unless you're entering the entire synopsys of the movie as well. Given the slow load times as well as the time spent on selecting the exact version of the DVD that you own when using DVDaf and other online programs, I don't think it's that much quicker / easier thank EXCEL. IMO, the primary benefit of the online organizers would have to be that it can be easily shared with others.


-NHN

could you post a copy of your excel worksheet so i can model mine after your. thanks

JuryDuty
06-02-04, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by OREOSpeedwagon
BTW if you don't mind me asking, how do you get so much free stuff from Amazon.com? (Indiana Jones set, 24 seasons, Freaks and Geeks, etc?) :)

Look no further than Yahoo! VISA (http://visa.yahoo.com)! I put EVERYTHING on my Yahoo! VISA, then pay it off monthly. Meanwhile, I get points every month for those purchases, and then can turn them in for Amazon or Barnes and Noble Gift Certificates. More than half the new stuff I get, I get that way, through $50 GC's each month or so. I love it because it allows me to justify my DVD habit with my family since most of them are free. :)

But be careful, if you don't pay it off each month, it could get very expensive! ;)

cajun_junky
06-02-04, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by atari2600
i use excel to keep track of my want list...organize by want level (ie. 1 to 5), their columbia house status (enrollment, fullfillment, not available, etc) and their status (ordered, shipped, etc).

This is EXACTLY what I do. The only difference is I rank my want list from 1-5 then sub-catagorize by alphabet. I can spend hours organizing DVDs I don't even have yet. What fun!!!

OREOSpeedwagon
06-03-04, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by JuryDuty
Look no further than Yahoo! VISA (http://visa.yahoo.com)! I put EVERYTHING on my Yahoo! VISA, then pay it off monthly. Meanwhile, I get points every month for those purchases, and then can turn them in for Amazon or Barnes and Noble Gift Certificates. More than half the new stuff I get, I get that way, through $50 GC's each month or so. I love it because it allows me to justify my DVD habit with my family since most of them are free. :)

But be careful, if you don't pay it off each month, it could get very expensive! ;)

Damn, too bad I'm only 16 :( Yahoo! Visa will be the first CC I apply for when I turn 18 though :)

mdc3000
06-03-04, 12:51 AM
I use Excel... just to keep track of all my titles, their running times, ratings, aspect ratio and case type (as well as disc number)... nothing fancy... just in case anything happens, I'll have a nice list (and my collection is numbered according to excel)... also use Guzzlefish though.

MATT

FatTony
06-03-04, 07:07 AM
I posted mine (http://students.washington.edu/fattony/discs.xls) for anyone who wants to look at it. I deleted all the pricing info from it though, so some of the other stuff off to the side probably doesn't work properly. I've been meaning to spruce it up for a while now, but I hope to get around to making it look nicer when school's done. Either that or I'll just give in and start using DVDProfiler