Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Stacking equipment

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-04, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacking equipment

I dont have much room for an av rack, so I have my equipment on top of my hdtv. Is this hard on my tv?

Because I'm short on space, my vcr is resting on top of my dvd recorder. Is this a potential problem with heat, or weight on my equipment?
Old 05-31-04, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Stacking equipment

Originally posted by shonkc
I dont have much room for an av rack, so I have my equipment on top of my hdtv. Is this hard on my tv?

Because I'm short on space, my vcr is resting on top of my dvd recorder. Is this a potential problem with heat, or weight on my equipment?
Yes, yes and yes.
Old 05-31-04, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just wondering what other equipment you have which stops you putting the DVD/vcr under the TV ?

Silly querstion, but couldn't you get a new cabinet which holds more ? There are many which dont take up a lot of room but can still hold several pieces of AV equipment (VCR/DVD/AV Receiver etc).

It all depends how heavy the equipment is. I havent seen many pieces of equipment that would make me worry about crushing a TV (except for some High End AV receivers maybe)

Make sure your not covering the air vents and if possible raise the vcr off the dvd recorder by placing it on little wooden or plastic blocks so that the air can circulate under it.

I used to rest my vcr on a cable box like this and it was fine. I wouldnt do it if there was any other solution so you may want to check them out.
Old 05-31-04, 12:47 PM

I have a 55'' Widescreen rp, so I cannot put anything under it =)

I have no cabinet now, everything rests on top my bigscreen.

I have a hdtv reciever,dvd,vcr,reciever, and my center channel speaker.

One other thing, that spegehtti mess of wires behind my hdtv....should they be somewhat seperated? They all bunched up right now, am I getting any interfearance from all the wires?

Thanks for help
Old 05-31-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Even if it doesn't crush the TV, putting a lot of heavy equipment on top could cause the screen to bow outwards, which would throw off your convergence. It's really not a good idea. Put stuff on the floor if you need to, but the only thing on top of your TV should be the center speaker.
Old 05-31-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would NOT stack equipment on an rptv. Seriously, pick up or make a simple shelf system. It can double as a speaker stand.

I don't think it's a problem putting a dvd on a vcr or vice versa, as they are light and don't need much ventilation. But I would make sure to leave space around the receiver.

As for wires, I separated (as best I could) the power wires from speaker wires, and kept the signal wires (a/v leads) away from those. I bunched each group coming off the equipment (plastic & metal ties) and just let them hang/lie away from each other.
Old 05-31-04, 02:22 PM

Thanks, I will be looking at my options for a rack to put my equipment on.

Oh, by the way, I bought the Panasonic E50S Recorder and love it! I've recorded on cheap .70 cent -R media and it played on my oritron old cheapo dvd player which is very picky on media.
If it plays on this old thing, it should play on anything.

Have made about 10 dics from vhs and have not made 1 coaster.

Wish I could have afforded one with a hard drive, I got the E50s at ciruit city for $260.