Reload this Page >

Restaurant - 5/29 (both)

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Restaurant - 5/29 (both)

Old 05-30-04, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant - 5/29 (both)

Interesting pair of episodes. While Rocco has never been sympathetic, I originally sort of stood by him while the place was about to be taken over by his investor. However, over these two episodes, the balance of power has really swung towards Jeffrey (the investor), given Rocco's firing of a well-liked and valuable employee who essentially saves the entire place in one of the episodes (I won't say who to ruin it for those who didn't see the eps and plan to watch the finale) and how his sudden desire to be back in the kitchen lasted about five seconds. Moments later, he was back mingling with customers and even asking one woman (I'm still not quite sure if this is true, as I couldn't believe I heard him say it in the middle of his restaurant, while staring at the woman's chest), "Are those real?" The only sympathetic thing Rocco did was be nice to the woman who lost her job.

The shrinks mediating the feud were also amusing.

I wouldn't be surprised if no one watched this, as there was no advertising - I only happened to come upon the shows by accident.

Last edited by dvdmovie1; 05-30-04 at 05:15 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The show has always seemed fake, but I find it increasingly difficult to believe any of this stuff is really happening in the way they're presenting it. What's most annoying is how they try so hard to make us sympathetic of Rocco, but he's about the leasy sympathetic guy imaginable. Jeffrey's kind of a dick too, but the show doesn't try to present him as anything other than himself, so it's not a big deal.

The shrink stuff was funny, though.

das
Old 05-30-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just felt bad for Tony. That was a horrible way to get fired.
Old 05-30-04, 05:59 PM

He's giving him a temp job in another restaurant and he's probably better off for it if Rocco's is going to sink anyway.
Old 05-30-04, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So are there any episodes left after these? It ended kind of up in the air.

Rocco is so completely useless. His only contribution to the restaurant is serving as the "face", flirting with all the customers, etc. I can't believe he had the nerve to say Tony didn't do anything, when Tony was the one keeping the kitchen going.

I certainly hope that Jeffrey and Rocco comped the meal for the psychiatrists since they gave them all that counseling for free.

I feel badly for Jeffrey, he is obviously trying to work with Rocco as best as he can, but Rocco is such a child. He doesn't read or respond to his emails or his employees requests and then he whines when things are done "without consulting him". I thought it was funny how Jeffrey presented him with all the statements and emails he claimed to have never received and his only response was just "I don't have time for this."

Rocco just needs to realize he is not a very good manager/business person and let other people handle this stuff.
Old 05-30-04, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I didn't get the impression that anyone was trying to make us feel sympathetic for Rocco. At least in recent episodes. I felt just the opposite, that they were making him out to be a real prick. And rightly so. The guy is useless. He gets all geared up to run the kitchen and then splits and schmoozes and leaves early. Then frenchy has a talk with him and he's like, "Yes, you're right. I'm going to clear my schedule for the next 2 days, even 3 days, whatever it takes!"

How about every day you pompous jackass.
Old 05-30-04, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know, I thought it was telling that even Laurent finally seemed fed up with Rocco in this episode.

Who is left that actually supports him, besides Momma?
Old 05-30-04, 09:09 PM

I think even momma was a little pissed off about the firing
Old 05-30-04, 10:58 PM
Registered

The Restaurant 2 - The Train Wreck

Wow, what a painful season. Almost no one is sympathetic (except Tony and some of the wait staff). It's hard to root for either side of the mess, but Rocco comes off as an egomenical narsacist (a diagnosis he gives to the shrinks in the restaurant). Jeff C is an ass, but he keeps looking like LESS of an ass compared to Rocco.

When the restaurant was on fire, part of me said... they'd be better off it the thing just burned to the ground.... WHAT A MESS.

I think we can chalk this season up as one of Producer Mark Burnetts few flops... and it seems like NBC knows it, airing 2 episodes in the dreaded saturday night spot. Sure death for any series
Old 05-30-04, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It looks like the season finale is on next Saturday night. according to my Tivo.
Old 05-31-04, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally posted by Jadzia
It looks like the season finale is on next Saturday night. according to my Tivo.
From what I read about the ratings, it will likely be the "Series Finale"

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve...7C1%7C,00.html
Old 06-01-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I was hoping the restaurant was going to burn up as well. It would have been the fitting end to this horrible "joint" venture between man-child Rocco and "My way or the highway" Jeffrey.
Old 06-01-04, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Someone posted this picture in another forum. Kind of explains alot about why Rocco seems to be overcompensating.