Best Halloween and NOTLD Versions?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-04, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been holding off in buying this two films for so long becauseof all the different version available? which is the best available editions of each film? or are they going to come out with something even better?
Old 05-30-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NOTLD- Millenium Edition.

Not sure about Halloween.
Old 05-30-04, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On NOTLD, definately the Elite Millenium Edition

Halloween is less clear cut. For the movie, transfer, etc. the best version is the out of print 2disc edition with the lenticular cover. For extras, it would be the 25th anniversary Divimax edition. It has a commentary with Carpenter (from the Criterion laserdisc), and some other good extras. However, even though the image is nice, the color timing is wrong, the previous edition I mentioned was supervised by cinematographer Dean Cundey. As for if a better edition will come out, it is possible since these are released by Anchor Bay, known for revisiting the same titles countless times, however, the 25th anniversary edition just came out last year so it might be awhile if ever.
Old 05-30-04, 05:07 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Plus, the OOP, lenticular cover version, also has another cut of the movie. It is a 2-disc version with the original theatrical release and the extended television release.

Not sure about the quality compared to Divimax, but I assumed all the Divimax versions were far superior to any other previous version.
Old 05-30-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Night....the Elite Millenium Edition,great release. Forget the rest,this is the one to own!

Halloween,you do not need to waste $50-$100+ on the 2 disc limited edition release. You can easily save money by purchasing the stand alone THX release,which includes the theatrical cut & all the features on that disc. Then if you want to also own the tv-version,which was the second disc of the LE release. You can purchase that separately as well,it is called the 'Extended TV Version' or something.

Skip the newest release of Halloween,bad color timing,sure it looks 'perfect' & 'pristine',but does not represent the fall look the film is meant to have. Instead it looks like a bright clear summer,which sucks all the atmosphere away. The other extra features are a letdown,boring documentary that is padded out to 90 minutes,going over information we already knew. Commentary is no better.

So if you want the correct look of the film,purchase the THX release.
Old 05-30-04, 05:17 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts
Originally posted by Julie Walker
Halloween,you do not need to waste $50-$100+ on the 2 disc limited edition release
where is it that much?? I got it like a month ago..used in great condition at retail for $27.99! I think you got your prices confused with a "Swamp Thing" OOP.
Screaming
Old 05-30-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
NOTLD: Elite Millenium Edition

Halloween: THX single disc
Old 05-30-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Skip the newest release of Halloween,bad color timing,sure it looks 'perfect' & 'pristine',but does not represent the fall look the film is meant to have. Instead it looks like a bright clear summer,which sucks all the atmosphere away. The other extra features are a letdown,boring documentary that is padded out to 90 minutes,going over information we already knew. Commentary is no better.
the previous releases of Halloween , while having the film color timed the way it should be, were also riddled with artifacting, EE and were lacking fine detail.
i found it unwatchable on a large display.

the Divimax edition has different color timing, and is somewhat brighter (which is a negative for some scenes, but is better/more natural in others), but it is far and away a better overall disc for a/v.

i won't argue that the Divimax is deficient in hewing to the unique look the film has had- however, to a point- these can be addressed with the image controls on your display.
no amount of fiddling is going to improve the artifacting, aliasing, and EE of the previous releases, or impart more detail.

i would be all on board if AB goes back and corrects the color timing on a future release, but as it stands now, i'm still satisfied for the most part with the Divi Max release.

i was not satisfied with the earlier releases.

but does not represent the fall look the film is meant to have
actually, the exterior shots in daytime look appropriate to the midwest in Fall on the new version.
the diminuatation of the blue hue in the last act is the problem, as is the brighter image. you can adjust your display to crush the black a bit which will go a way to improving the way the film plays, although this won't address the blue problem.

all the versions of Halloween so far are trade-offs.

if you have an under 36" display, you might as well stick witht he earlier releases.
for anything larger- the more dramatic increase in detail and stability of image makes the newer version a better, though compromised, choice

Last edited by ckolchak; 05-30-04 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-30-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by scott1598
where is it that much?? I got it like a month ago..used in great condition at retail for $27.99! I think you got your prices confused with a "Swamp Thing" OOP.
Screaming
I agree, I got mine for just under $20 used. As a matter of fact, I also saw a poster here selling it for $14/used in the exchange forum.
Old 05-30-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, I got mine for just under $20 used.
I've seen them on E-bay going as high as forty or fifty, but I kept my eyes out and eventually got one for about $15 plus s/h... but bidding can get high on them sometimes, even now that the new one is in print.

Oh, yeah, you could get the two discs seperately, as suggested, but the cover is really cool...