Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Why isn't Bruce Campbell in more stuff?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-30-04, 11:55 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts

He is such a fun, quirky actor that I can't believe he isn't in more. For those who don't think he has range, I suggest they see "Bubba Ho-tep" which is where this thread is derived.

I just saw it and thought it was so much fun and he did such a great job. He didn't overact and seem like he over imitated Elvis like so many other movies did. He gave the role comedy and I thought real warmth and heart where needed.

His deliveries were so on and perfect. I can see him doing so much more and doing a lot in some of the main stream movies and not just relagated to small roles by friends like Sam Raimi in the Spider-man's. I think he says he doesn't like the big hoopla's or is it that he just doesn't get the roles he deserves?

I think he should be in more...he is just way to fun to be sparse and low key. Ya' know?
Old 05-30-04, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it's that he could get in more mainstream movies if he really wanted to, but he prefers the low budget films that aren't made soley for profit, and that sorta thing.

I agree he was great in Bubba Ho Tep. "What the f--- do I care, I got a growth on my pecker"
Old 05-30-04, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like Bruce Campbell as much as anybody, but I just don't think he's that great of an actor I guess. I like him more for his style and the type of movies he is in. I just don't think he has the chops to do much more than he's already doing. And this coming from someone who has seen every episode of Briscoe County Jr. and Jack of All Trades (the second one being a perfect example of the limits of Mr. Campbell's resources.) Bruce isn't kidding himself, he knows that he's not that great of an actor and is just lucky to be doing what he is doing (read his book...on second though don't....I nearly fell asleep, but at least I got an autographed copy.)

That being said, he did own in Bubba-Ho-Tep, but it was just a B-movie when you get down to it.
Old 05-30-04, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by badger1997
..I nearly fell asleep,
Heretic!!!

Much of the book is quite good. The first couple of chapters were great. I see my childhood wasn't so out of the norm now.
Old 05-30-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the hell do you mean? It's pretty clear he's taken just about every production he has been offered. So he's in plenty of stuff. the problem is quality over quantity. a lot of what he's in is just crap. "YAY! THE NEW LOVE BUG!!!" (look at your local blockbuster)

Now if the question is why isn't he in a lot more mainstream films? Well he's a cult character. He's been in a couple of big films. Serving sarah comes to mind. He's a good actor, but he is seen as more of a character already. He does indeed have that style and it doesn't translate well to other films. Not to mention that I doubt he could carry a mainstream film by himself.
Old 05-30-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 188 Likes on 126 Posts
Well, I remember him saying in a interview that he loves the low budget world but I honestly believe that's just smoke he's blowing.

I agree with Jack on the fact that he prob. couldn't carry a lead role in a mainstream film.
Old 05-30-04, 02:37 PM

Speaking of Bruce, here is a pre-order for a comic book he is writing for BMWFilms:

Old 05-30-04, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bruce Campbell is awesome!!!
Old 05-30-04, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Let's be real...Bruce Campbell is a cult figure, not a huge famous actor. When Brucey showed up in Spiderman, I doubt the majority of the audience even knew who he was.

Not to mention the stuff he got famous for is quirky, I don't see Bruce becoming a big mainstream star. He just seems to like to do offbeat stuff, and while he does the occasional mainstream film (congo, serving sara, whatever else) he's not the lead or anything in them.
Old 05-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 360 Likes on 303 Posts
didn't Bruce have a little part in an episode of that show Charmed? and am I mistaken or wasn't he in Hercules (the tv show) for a while?
Old 05-30-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yes, Bruce has a long history with tv. from Brisco County Jr. to showing up in X-files episodes. He's been around the block awhile. On Xena he was a reaccuring thief named autolycus. Jack of all trade was a fair enjoyable show. Oh if only Brisco County Jr. showed up on DVD.
Old 05-30-04, 05:02 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 898 Likes on 759 Posts
I am not saying he lead a major mainstream movie..I just think he should be in many more at least in a good hefty role. "Bubba Ho-tep" is a perfect example of his chops and caliber. I think he would fit very nicely in an ensemble or 2nd banana somewhere. A heist movie perhaps, con movie's, so many I think he could fill the shoes of and do equal if not better work.
Old 05-30-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Why isn't Bruce Campbell in more stuff?

Originally posted by scott1598
He would be...IF HE WERE A TRAINED MONKEY!
Old 05-30-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Scott, you are a dreamer. He is good for cult flicks and I'm sure if he is offered big headliner films he will take them, like he already did. But his bankablity to those who aren't cult followers of him and his films will not be going for him. He also isn't second fiddle. the guy stands out. he stands out a lot so you can't really put him as the side kick of the big A list star without something being up there.
Old 05-30-04, 08:06 PM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Oh if only Brisco County Jr. showed up on DVD.
I second that Jack!
Old 05-30-04, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74
I second that Jack!
I'll third it. Man, I loved that show.
Old 05-30-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 647 Likes on 447 Posts
I think Bruce Campbell is a good actor. Sure, in films like the Evil Dead series and on TV shows like Xena and Hercules he camps it up, but stuff like Bubba Ho-Tep and his X-Files episode show that he's capable of depth if someone gives him the chance.

Part of the problem is typecasting. He's so well known for campy cult movies that I think studios have a hard time picturing him in other roles. Also, he's a bit too old to be considered an upcoming breakthrough actor in most people's eyes.

Also, Jack is right in that Bruce hasn't been too selective of his roles in the past. He could've done some more artsy fare, although he has done some; see The Ice Rink.

And damn, that Hire comic looks cool. BMW needs to make more of those films, and have Bruce Campbell direct and guest star in one.
Old 05-31-04, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by asianxcore
didn't Bruce have a little part in an episode of that show Charmed? and am I mistaken or wasn't he in Hercules (the tv show) for a while?
He was in the season Finale of Charmed
(Season four) and a few episodes of Hercules.
Old 05-31-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
why? because he can't act?
Old 05-31-04, 08:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by brizz
why? because he can't act?
Ah, but he CAN act, which should be known to anyone who saw his guest-stints on shows like Homicide and X-Files.
Old 05-31-04, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by draven31
He was in the season Finale of Charmed
(Season four) and a few episodes of Hercules.
He was in quite a few episodes of both Hercules and Xena as a reocurring character... Autolycus the King of Thieves... my favorite character aside from Ares
Old 06-01-04, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just saw him recently in Ladykillers, but he had no lines!
Old 06-01-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I would love to see Bruce and Sam Rami team up again for another movie. Not necessarily Evil Dead 4, which Bruce insists will not happen. And not just some cameo like the "snooty usher" in Spiderman 2. I mean a real honest-to-goodness starring role that seems tailor-made for him like in Bubba Ho-Tep.

The fan boys will send the opening week DVD sales through the roof!
Old 06-01-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
And being the BC/Raimi fanboy I am, I will boost sales of anything BC/Raimi

'Never. Never f**k with the king' -BC
Old 06-02-04, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,875 Posts
There was a huge opportunity missed with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

He should've played either Xander's dad or Uncle Rory. How freaking awesome would that have been?