Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Anyone else disappointed in the Club Dread DVD?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-04, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As a big fan of Broken Lizard and their two movies Super Troopers and Club Dread, I am really disappointed in the lack of extras on the Club Dread DVD, especially considering how packed the Super Troopers disc was. For $27.99 SRP all that the Club Dread disc includes are two commentaries and a soundtrack spot; not even a trailer. What makes this worse is that throughout the commentaries, the Broken Lizard guys mention that the original cut of the film was 2 and a half hours, and discuss a few different deleted scenes including a subplot involving two detectives on the island. I also remember seeing a videoclip of a deleted scene posted on Yahoo Movies' page for the film.

I don't expect to see the entire 2 and a half hour cut of the movie, and I realize that Club Dread made under $5 million, but considering the fanbase for Super Troopers and the amount of extras given to even the smallest of films nowadays, this DVD should have a little more than a couple of commentaries.

By the way, here's a link to where you can find that deleted scene I mentioned. It's actually pretty good.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/featu...clubdread.html
Old 05-29-04, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im sure they will make you double dip for the good stuff.

I didnt like Super Troopers too much, is this similar ? The trailers looked kind of funny but I never got around to seeing it.
Old 05-29-04, 01:21 PM

Club Dread is pretty different from Super Troopers, it worth checking out. I can't believe you didn't like Super Troopers though, it's hilarity! =O

I love commentaries so I wasn't really dissapointed, even though extras would have been cool. If there is a re-release I'm happy with my disc until then. Who pays MSRP for DVDs anyway?
Old 05-29-04, 02:09 PM

I think the commentaries on the disc are great too, but based on all the extras that the Super Troopers DVD contained, I'm very disappointed.
Old 05-29-04, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm thinking this was pretty barebones because the movie did so poorly at the BO. It also got horrible reviews. Unlike Super Troopers which did pretty decent at the box office and get pretty good reviews.

I'm guessing that if it gets a following on DVD then they'll make you double dip at some point.
Old 05-29-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The film tanked and the only way FOX will make some money off of it was if the DVD came out less than three months after it's theatrical release (unlike Super Troopers which came out six months after it's theatrical release).

Be thankful we got commentaries at least.
Old 05-29-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked Club Dread, but I'm not getting it.

I do think it's kind of a crock though that it hardly has any features.
Old 05-29-04, 03:24 PM

Puddle Cruiser!

Maybe they'll do an SE of CD when Puddle Cruiser eventually comes out.

That's Broken Lizard's first film. I saw it in college and nearly pissed myself laughing.

Any word on that one?

CS
Old 05-29-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
The buzz I heard beforehand, and this was even mentioned on at least one of the Club Dread commentaries, is that Puddle Cruiser would be released on DVD simultaneously with Club Dread. Obviously that hasn't happened. I haven't heard any definitive news or anything since.
Old 05-29-04, 03:38 PM

The Broken Lizard guys mentioned a few months ago on their website that the Puddle Cruiser DVD would be released this summer, but I haven't read any updates on it recently.
Old 05-29-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The movie is on the disc so im happy
Old 06-28-04, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I popped the disc into my computer, the DVD mounts as "CLUBDREAD169_RATED." Could this mean that an UNRATED version is planned?
Old 06-28-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope a better version is planned, I am glad I rented for now. I would buy a good special edition, but barebones at a high price - maybe not
Old 06-28-04, 03:27 PM

Just found this on Broken Lizard's website:

"Hey guys,
I've seen some chatter on the blog about the dvd, the lack of extra features, the Special Edition, and something about an alternate ending. So let me clear up a few things....
-Fox told us that they were planning on releasing 2 dvds: a theatrical cut, and then, in the fall, a Special Edition, which would include all the extra features most of us have come to expect in a dvd, plus most of the scenes that we had to cut from the theatrical version. To us, this sounded like kind of a racket. But alas, we have no control over these things. They actually were planning on releasing the theatrical version without the commentary tracks. (this tells you a little bit about the people we're dealing with) We were able to throw enough of a shit-fit to get them to squeeze the commentary on, but as far the 2 versions, they're trying to make more money, and there's no way to argue a movie studio out of trying to make more money. (and trust me, it's income we don't see a dime of)
There is no alternate ending. Super Troopers had an alternate ending. Maybe that's what's confusing people.
So I would say, if you feel like buying both, good for you. If you want to buy one of them, good for you. If you want to buy neither, good for you. Just don't think that Broken Lizards are trying to rip you off. We would just as soon pluck out our own testicles with ice tongs."
Old 06-28-04, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by Ghostface180
-Fox told us that they were planning on releasing 2 dvds: a theatrical cut, and then, in the fall, a Special Edition, which would include all the extra features most of us have come to expect in a dvd, plus most of the scenes that we had to cut from the theatrical version.
Thanks Fox

For the record, I don't see anything wrong with two editions of a dvd IF the consumer knows about it beforehand.
Old 06-28-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I Netflixed this one when it came out and I'm glad to hear they're do a SE. Funny, funny flick.
Old 06-28-04, 05:24 PM

sooo... no update on Puddle Cruiser?

Erg.

CS