Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-04, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10889 and...

When NX first aired, the critics said it was like Twin Peaks but the only similarity was that it took place in the Pacific Northwest. At the end of 1.5 Russian Flu, the writers did a tongue-in-cheek response and added a nod to Twin Peaks (at the foggy waterfall with the log lady and Julee Cruise music...). But other than that, they were two completely different shows.

I may be the number fan (so perhaps I am biased) but Northern Exposure had a great deal of magic behind it. The very first episode I saw was the eight episode on these DVDs - 1.8 Aurora Borealis. Northern Exposure was eyond the norm but believable. Cicely was a place you really wanted to visit. It made complete sense that a frozen frenchman's journal proved that Napolean was in Alaska and missed Waterloo. It made complete sense that a mute circus performer could really fly. It made sense that a character could meet her unborn child in a laundromat before she was born.

For a good part of the six seasons, journeying to Cicely was a creative trip that was a nice break from reality.

Season one was its freshman year. It was enough to catch the interest of viewers but it got better as it aged. By season three, it was off and running -- gathering many emmy and other nominations and awards.

I agree the price is a little high. However, one of the best things about Northern Exposure was the diverse music played in each episode. In order to keep the music intact, I imagine Universal had to pay for new "digital rights" for that music, that wasn't previously held for VHS releases and syndication. This may contribute to that high price.

I recommend to everyone to at least rent it if you've never seen it. Then buy it if you love it (which I believe most people will).

http://www.moosechick.com
Old 05-28-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: DVD Talk review of 'Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season'

Originally posted by Moosechick
I read John Sinnott's DVD review of Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10889 and...
I agree the price is a little high. However, one of the best things about Northern Exposure was the diverse music played in each episode. In order to keep the music intact, I imagine Universal had to pay for new "digital rights" for that music, that wasn't previously held for VHS releases and syndication. This may contribute to that high price.
Maybe Universal is trying to make some money back after all those DVD recalls.

Seriously, though, this was a great show that I'm looking forward to checking out on DVD (eventually). Great TV is worth any price, IMO, and that packaging is just too cool!
Old 05-29-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, it's a little hard to relate to the reviewer. He seems really hung up on this Twin Peaks thing & mentions the show by name six times in his review. Both shows came out in 1990 & if imdb can be believed, premiered 3 months apart. How much influence could & should Twin Peaks have had? They both feature an outsider in a quirky small town & that's it. That's nothing new. Mayberry was a quirky small town. If I had to compare, I'd say that Northern Exposure is the better show. I loved them both at the time, but TP has not aged as well for me.

I don't have my set yet; I'm waiting for Amazon to deliver it, but I've been hoping for Northern Exposure on DVD for years. I pre-ordered weeks ago & am just now learning about all the extras included - a very nice surprise bonus. I was also surprised to see it featured in so many store ads this week. I never thought it was very well known or remembered. The price is high, but I hope it does well & people give it a try - either buying or renting. There is much to enjoy. & I want the rest of the seasons! Fans of the current Gilmore Girls should really enjoy it - another show with smart funny dialogue, lovable characters, interesting soundtrack, unexpected references, -- & a quirky small town.
Old 05-29-04, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NX is one of my favorite shows of all time. It started strong and kept getting better. The last season was terrific all the way through.
Old 06-01-04, 04:41 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See additional discussion here.