Buffy?

Old 05-27-04, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buffy?

I was watching one of the commentaries on the season 4 Buffy DVD's and the commentarier brought up an interesting point, that I was curious about...

His point was if they make a Buffy movie, how many people who have never got into Buffy would go see it? and how many people that are Buffyaholic's that would not go see a movie?

I just thought I would be interesting to see people's respons to that.
Old 05-27-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

As long as Luke Perry is in it again, I would see it.
Old 05-27-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Buffy?

Originally posted by critterdvd
His point was if they make a Buffy movie, how many people who have never got into Buffy would go see it? and how many people that are Buffyaholic's that would not go see a movie?

Can you say that again? And this time in English please.
Old 05-27-04, 08:13 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would go see it and am a Buffy Fan.
Old 05-27-04, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you are asking if there would be interest in a buffy (tv) movie enough to make it so?

I'm sure there would be. Make it like the X-files were folks who do not know much about the series could go in without previous knowledge and deep enough for those who are part of the cult following.

Toss in willow and I will watch it.
Old 05-27-04, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If they can make a movie based on Firefly, they can make a Buffy flick. My only concern is how they'd incorporate the Angel storyline. Frankly the spinoff was a lot more interesting than its parent show over the last few years and there's a lot more they can still do with the Angel characters than the ones on Buffy.
Old 05-27-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I was under the assumption that it was over with on angel. the cliffhanger ending was it.
Old 05-27-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
Re: Re: Buffy?

Originally posted by purplechoe
Can you say that again? And this time in English please.
Seemed pretty clear to me.

He's asking two questions:

1) Would a Buffy movie bring in enough new viewers? As in, would a Buffy movie appeal widely outside the established fanbase?
2) How many Buffy fans would be interested in a movie?
Old 05-28-04, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm down for a Buffy film, sans the Kristy Swanson version. Like Doughboy said, how would they incorporate Angelverse into it?

Two good questions though:

1-Would non-Buffy people go to see it?
2-Is there an interest from Joss, Sarah MG, and the fans?

My answers:

1-Probably. People will go see something that intersts them. The only problem would how could they treat the material for new fans w/o starting over, b/c the older fans of the TV show will want to see storylines concluded-mostly the Buffy/Angel/Spike love triangle (even thou "Girl in Question" answered somewhat of this). Tricky propsition and you know the studio (assuming 20th C. Fox would produce/distribute it) would want it fresh enough to get in a new audience outside of the fans. If the budget was 30-40 mil, I think they'll all be please with the end results (BO and dvd sales).

2-Die-hard fans like myself are already screaming for one. I'm sure SMG would be up for it. she already expressed interest in coming back to the character down the road. Joss seems keen to, as would David since he wants to do film now. Buffyverse is not dead-timeout is being called. Let's see how Serenity does first, then we'll talk about a film version. Most likely, a new show will come around first or an Angel TV movie before a Buffy film.

Personally, I would love it, sans the attempt to attract new viewers (leave them in the dust )
Old 05-28-04, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Frankly, I've always been interested in the idea of doing a separate film on the idea of a Slayer, but different periods and characters. I would love the opportunity to visit a story about a Slayer during WWII or Cold War Soviet Union, for example, something that really shakes up the mythos. Plus, you could always bring in recurring vampire/demon characters for continuity and novelty.

The episode when Spike encountered the three Slayers he killed during his life was one of the most intriguing for me. Getting to see those periods and how the same concept worked within them would make a great TV movie at least.
Old 05-28-04, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd see anything related to the Buffy/Angel storylines.
Old 05-28-04, 01:16 PM

The Angel storylines provide a scope for a big event, thus I would think it would be the things that have gone on in Angel would be in a film, and because Buffy is meant to save the world anyway, there's no difference, if thats helping out Angel or someone else take down someone else, I think the stakes in Angel are far higher and with more epic scope, Buffy was the background, Angel shows the epic nature of the world in LA then Sunnydale ever could.

Thus Angel crew with Buffy taking down Wolfham and Heart etc , example.

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I was under the assumption that it was over with on angel. the cliffhanger ending was it.
Exactly the reason there should be a movie, Joss finished with Buffy after season 7, he felt finished with that, but with Angel, he had so much more to do in season six, and if those could be condenced into say a 3 movie-two hour each trilogy, which would be like 8 episodes in three films, Angel crew and Buffy, finishing off the business of Angel left off in the cliffhander, and Joss's unused ideas for season six.

Last edited by SeanValen; 05-28-04 at 01:19 PM.
Old 05-28-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd go see almost anything from BtVS also. I'm not sure how good it could be though. Some of the actors are getting too old, others too out of shape. The best of BtVS was when they were in high school. They were never able to recreate that magic of those first 3 seasons.

I think the best bet for a BtVS type fix will the Ripper show with Giles.
Old 05-28-04, 03:01 PM

I would go to see anything. I saw the last episode of Angel 6 times and I am already suffering withdrawal symptoms.
For more information on spinoffs see saveangel.org
The TV movies are a no go. WB was lying again. An entertainment report asked the guy who canceled the program what was he smoking when he canceled the show and he couldn't answer the question.
Austin