Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

The "My So Called Life" Boxset & AnotherUniverse scandal continues!!!

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Just got this email, check out the latest:

Important Information Regarding Your
My So-Called Life Bonus Materials
May 26, 2004

Dear former AnotherUniverse.com customer,

There have recently been some major developments in the IFCC/FBI investigation of AnotherUniverse and its CEO Ross Rojek. At first these developments made the effort to get the DVD bonus materials to customers seem hopeless, but everything changed last week, and I have now removed your bonus items from the AnotherUniverse.com warehouse. I have volunteered to try to get this merchandise to those who paid AnotherUniverse.com for it. Please read this email as it includes a lot of information. There is also a payment link for S&H at the bottom (the reasons will become clear when you read this email and the Operation Lunchbox Message Forum.

Ross Rojek, the CEO of AnotherUniverse.com was arrested by the FBI on April 13 for multiple counts of wire fraud, mail fraud and money laundering. There were multiple scams and the amount stolen totalled in the millions of dollars. AnotherUniverse.com has been closed down. All of Rojek's companies have been shuttered.
http://www.sacbee.com/content/busine...-9960476c.html

In early May, I was contacted by former AnotherUniverse.com employees (all Ross Rojek employees from all of his various businesses are now unemployed), and told that there were approximately 1,900 MSCL lunchboxes and approximately 2,400 bonus DVDs sitting on five pallets at the warehouse. If not moved, these items would have become the property of the warehouse landlord.

After receiving a release from Justin Martin, who was winding down AU.com operations for the jailed (in lieu of $1,000,000 bail) Ross Rojek, I arranged to have the lunchboxes and bonus discs moved to a fulfillment facility in Sacramento, California.

If you don't recognize my name or if you never received emails from me before it is because I obtained this email list from Justin Martin on AU.com's last day of operations.

If we were dealing with only a hundred or so unfulfilled orders, I might have been able to avoid a shipping and handling charge. However, I am dealing with approximately 2,000-2,400 unfulfilled orders.

Shipping for the USA is computed as follows:

Maximum UPS rate for 1lb, 13oz is approximately $6. JetXpressMail is charging a $2 handling fee, which includes storage and their movement of the bonus materials to their location.

I am including a payment link in this email. This link is not posted on any site, as I am only contacting people who are owed bonus material by AnotherUniverse.com. Please don't share it, as it will only make order verification more time consuming.

After I get US orders moving, I will move on to international orders. This email is intended for US customers ONLY. If you are not a US customer, please let me know and I will add you to the appropriate list.

Finally, if you have any questions that are not personal in nature, please post them to the Operation Lunchbox message forum. If I can answer your question publicly, it will save time and also provide a full record of correspondence for all to see. Likewise, I will keep the message forum updated with the progress of this project. There is currently a photo of the merchandise in its new location, and I welcome you to join in the conversation there.

Best Regards,

Jason XXXXXXXXX
Managing Partner
XXXXXXXXXXXXXX, LLC
XXX-XXX-XXXX [/i]

Wow... looks like someone got in trouble for scamin'

-k
###
Old 05-26-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Back story on this boxset:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=182354
&
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=252582

-k
###
Old 05-26-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this info is in the other MSCL thread...I remember reading that email there a week or so ago. Josh Z posted it, I think.
Old 05-27-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, that info is in the 2nd thread that you link to... not sure this really needs a new thread.
Old 05-27-04, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't quite understand this. I ordered through AU and got all the bonus materials. Is this saying that some out there still didn't get it? Or is it saying that anyone now can get the bonus materials?

And Ross' arrest wasn't related to AU. I guess he was trying to sell some sort of security software and ripped off a bunch of investors.
Old 05-27-04, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by moviezzz
I don't quite understand this. I ordered through AU and got all the bonus materials. Is this saying that some out there still didn't get it? Or is it saying that anyone now can get the bonus materials?

I think very few people actually got the bonus materials. And many like myself didn't get the DVD's either.
Old 05-27-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts

And Ross' arrest wasn't related to AU. I guess he was trying to sell some sort of security software and ripped off a bunch of investors.
If you actually received the lunchbox and bonus disc from AU, you are in a very small minority. Most people did not.

I received nothing until I got the above email. I PayPaled my $7 and the items were shipped the next day. I'm just glad to finally have closure on this damned issue.
Old 05-27-04, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could someone please forward the email to me. I did not receive it and would like to receive me bonus materials.

Thanks

[email protected]
Old 05-27-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The arrest may not have been directly related to AU, but AU certainly didn't help the little weasle out. So many members filed complaints with the Internet Complaint Center, which is run by the FBI to investigate fraud on the Internet, that I am sure that was enough to get the ball rolling to investigate with him.

In off topic news, does anybody know if Jason (who originally did the MSCL sets) is planning to do any other shows like this? I know he won't use AU, but perhaps an amazon.com exclusive DVD set?

And I am in the minority who already got his bonus materials. I had no idea this was still going on. Unbelievable. I am one of the original 2500 who preordered, and I had no idea this would have ever been strung out over time like this.
Old 05-27-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Wow, Comics and Comix is just half a block away from me. I have a friend who runs a competing comic store so he's probably glad to get some business back (he lost business when C&C opened up).
Old 05-29-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by gjamesm
Could someone please forward the email to me. I did not receive it and would like to receive me bonus materials.
There's a web site you can visit:

http://www.anotheruniversesucks.org/forum/