Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

? on LotR cartoon on Cartoon Network

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? on LotR cartoon on Cartoon Network

this was the first time i saw this cartoon. its interesting to see the differences w/ the movie.

anyways, it ended w/ helms deep battle. are there more? any info on this cartoon, ie when it was made, who, etc.

how about some of the other versions of LOTR cartoons? i know i saw one where they actually had songs but the look was different.

thanks!
Old 05-26-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ralph Bakshi made the one you saw. He also directed Fritz the Cat, American Pop and Wizards. He only made one of these because the one you saw was not too well recieved by anyone. It was released theatrically in 1978. It was filmed using rotoscopping aka animation being drawn over live action footage.

The team of Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr. made The Hobbit (1977) and The Return of the King (1980). They were animated traditionally. These were aired on TV and never released theatrically.

I hope that helps.
Old 05-26-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
"Frodo of the nine fingers and the Ring of Doom..."
Old 05-26-04, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki

The team of Jules Bass and Arthur Rankin Jr. made The Hobbit (1977) and The Return of the King (1980). They were animated traditionally. These were aired on TV and never released theatrically.
And in case you didn't see it on the schedule, that version of Return of the King airs on Cartoon Network on Sunday May 30, 7pm EDT.
Old 05-26-04, 11:48 PM

thanks for all the great info. i saw the hobbit cartoon last weekend also and ROTK months back.

the bakshi version was pretty good, its too bad he couldn't do the whole trilogy. having never read the books, its nice to see the artistic differences.
Old 05-27-04, 06:09 AM

2 Weeks ago there was a cartoon of "The Hobit". Last week was "Lord of the Rings". I looked on Cartoon Network for this week, but there are no more. I actually enjoyed those cartoons.

Found "The Hobbit" "Lord of the Rings" and "Return of the King" all animated on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

Last edited by Steelers Fan; 05-27-04 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-27-04, 09:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by ktan1
thanks for all the great info. i saw the hobbit cartoon last weekend also and ROTK months back.

the bakshi version was pretty good, its too bad he couldn't do the whole trilogy. having never read the books, its nice to see the artistic differences.
The best thing about the Bakshi version in my opinion was the music, vastly superior to the film score to Jackson's version. Even though severly trunscated, the script for Bakshi's film had some moments that resonated better in terms of some of the characters and plot devices - notably the whole dialogue exchange betweem the fellowship before trudging up the snowy mountain to the Mines of Moria. The Bakshi version also retains the original book's version of Frodo breaking off from the group to continue his quest alone.

The Rankin/Bass 'Return of the King' also wonderfully retains the great line from Eowyn to the Witch King: "Begone foul Dwimmerlake, Lord of the Carrion, leave the dead in peace" and her final line "Uncle, I have avenged thee". As well as: the meeting and dialogue between the WitchKing and Gandalf and the Mouth of Sauron sequence (all of this will be eventually be scene when Jackson's extended edit of ROTK is released on video later in the year).
Old 05-27-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

There are some people who really appreciate the 1978 Bakshi LOTR, but I am not one of them, and I AM a Bakshi fan in general. That movie was the first step in his career becoming derailed.

You might enjoy this site:

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

Old 05-27-04, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Giles
The best thing about the Bakshi version in my opinion was the music
Oddly enough, I was listening to this CD this morning... before I even saw this thread.
Old 05-27-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Well, I don't care if I'm the last man on earth who appreciates this film. Quirks and all, I love it. Perhaps because I saw it during its initial theatrical run. Something about the times and seeing it on a big screen...and the water.
Old 05-27-04, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I caught it for the first time on Cartoon Network and totally fell in love. It was cheesy and all that business, but I just couldn't change the channel. It was like the Cliff Notes of LOTR but it was fun all the same.

Can't wait to see the animated ROTK.
Old 05-27-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jepthah
There are some people who really appreciate the 1978 Bakshi LOTR, but I am not one of them, and I AM a Bakshi fan in general. That movie was the first step in his career becoming derailed.

You might enjoy this site:

http://flyingmoose.org/tolksarc/bakshi/bakshi.htm

Thats pretty funny and insightful at the same time.
Old 05-30-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
RotK is supposed to be on right now... but all I see is Tom & Jerry
Old 05-30-04, 07:16 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Great movie. I heard they remade this recently? Damn Hollywood and their lack of new ideas.
Old 05-30-04, 09:26 PM

In Bag End, Gandalf just can't sit still. He won't just sit down and talk to Frodo about the Ring; instead he paces around meaninglessly, gesturing like a rabid stork. He raises both hands into the air, squeezes his fists and lowers his hands whenever he wants to make a point, a ludicrous overdramatic gesture which beginning drama students refer to as "Milking the Giant Cow".
lol. That site is hilarious. I have no idea how many times I have seen this movie. I thought it was horrible, but I couldn't stop watching it.
Old 05-30-04, 11:11 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Does anybody have memories of when this was released into theaters?

I've read some material about fan uproar due to the fact the film was promoted as a feature covering the entire trilogy, but in actuality, the film only goes through two of the books.

Share some stories!
Old 06-01-04, 09:54 AM

Here in DC, the film played at the Dupont Circle theatres, so after church one Sunday, my sister and I, two friends and their Mom took us to see it, I really liked it even though I felt jilted where they ended the film. My sister still owns the promotional pin that was made for the movie "Frodo lives" As noted before, I loved the film score, went out and bought the vinyl - yes CD's weren't the norm then, listened to it excessively.
Old 06-01-04, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Anyone know if they're going to rerun Return of the king on cartoon network? I have to see this version again for the Casey Cassum voice.
Old 06-01-04, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Ralph Bakshi made the one you saw. He also directed Fritz the Cat, American Pop and Wizards..
Forgot about American Pop. That was a great movie.
Old 06-01-04, 02:59 PM

Ralph Bakshi made the one you saw. He also directed Fritz the Cat, American Pop and Wizards.
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
he also did "Heavy Traffic" and "Streetfight" - the latter in particular I hope someday gets released onto DVD.
Old 06-01-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wizards is finally out on DVD now, and I just appreciate the film more and more as the years pass.

The extra material with Bakshi is great, too. He is just full of stories, as manic and passionate as his films.
Old 06-01-04, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I've tried to forget about American Popby drinking the liquids under the kitchen sink but I ended up in a gutter with a headache and blood on my shirt.
Old 06-08-04, 11:08 AM

I've tried to forget about American Popby drinking the liquids under the kitchen sink but I ended up in a gutter with a headache and blood on my shirt.
is the film really that bad?
Old 06-09-04, 05:27 AM

....wasn't The Last Unicorn also done by Rankin-Bass?

Last edited by ici-la-ko; 06-09-04 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-09-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ici-la-ko
....wasn't The Last Unicorn also done by Rankin-Bass?
Yes, it was.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.