Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Why do some Dvds have a UPC sticker on the package that has a different number on it?

Community
Search

Why do some Dvds have a UPC sticker on the package that has a different number on it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has just always bugged me. Why do many places stock dvds that have a UPC sticker on the shrink-wrap that hides the actual UPC on the Dvd cover, and why do they differ?

Ex: Return of the King (WS)...

From CH, without an extra sticker, actual UPC code plainly visible: "7-94043-69292-5"

From Wal-Mart, outer packaging sticker has UPC code "7-94043-71882-3" covering up the actual UPC code.

Can someone in retail help me out?
Old 05-26-04, 03:17 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've always wondered the same thing...
Old 05-26-04, 03:32 PM
Banned

Store promotion tracking - the UPC is still tied to the product, but the price point at which different stores sells the item also matters for market demographic analysis - this helps to identify any particular outlet/store/franchise/chain with other various promotions/offer on the unit - and also helps preventing the return of an unopened item purchased for $14 at Walmart from being returned for $24 elsewhere
Old 05-26-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by JupiterPrime
Store promotion tracking - the UPC is still tied to the product, but the price point at which different stores sells the item also matters for market demographic analysis - this helps to identify any particular outlet/store/franchise/chain with other various promotions/offer on the unit - and also helps preventing the return of an unopened item purchased for $14 at Walmart from being returned for $24 elsewhere
So, if I go back to Wal-mart in a week, after this initial release-week sale is over, you are telling me that all the copies of RotK will have had this sticker removed, or replaced with a new sticker to help track the dvd at its new price? Not!
Old 05-26-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
So, if I go back to Wal-mart in a week, after this initial release-week sale is over, you are telling me that all the copies of RotK will have had this sticker removed, or replaced with a new sticker to help track the dvd at its new price? Not!
That's not what he's saying at all. Simply put, different stores often have slightly different UPC's... ususally only differing in the last couple of numbers. Mostly it tracks sales of the same item from different stores. No idea where you got your idea from.
Old 05-26-04, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The UPC for the Simpsons Season 1 was off by one digit for Best Buy, Target, and Wal-mart...the difference can in some instances identify the store.
Old 05-26-04, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts
So, a DVD bought from one store can't be returned to another store?

Say, I receive a DVD as a gift even though I've already bought one, at Wal-Mart. I've already opened the DVD I bought, so I couldn't return the one I got as a gift on the Wal-Mart receipt if the UPC is slightly different?
Old 05-26-04, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
So, a DVD bought from one store can't be returned to another store?

Say, I receive a DVD as a gift even though I've already bought one, at Wal-Mart. I've already opened the DVD I bought, so I couldn't return the one I got as a gift on the Wal-Mart receipt if the UPC is slightly different?
Possibly. It depends on the UPC number. If they match, then yes. If they don't match, probably not because it won't show up in their inventory.
Old 05-26-04, 08:46 PM
Banned

you cant return an opened/unwrapped DVD for a refund - only for a different title with credit for the price point they currently have on the returned title in question -- actual cash credit refunds are only supposed to be allowed if the external plastic wrapping is intact, and you be lucky to get it - most places only offer exchange for a different title

Generally speaking most stores will accept an out of store return, but at a reduced price point and for store credit - it is seldom , rare and possibly even impossible to ever get cash back for a return of that nature - stores dont like to hand off cash for anything - once you give them your money they seldom release it again.

Thats why I dont let many people buy me any clothes or anythign like that - that can only usually be returned at teh purchased store and I have no use whatsoever for store credit at a Khol's or a Macy's

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 05-26-04 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-26-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was always under the impression that some inserts were printed with incorrect UPC coding, usually off by a number or has a number identical to a different product. The sticker is an inexpensive way to fix it rather than destroy the mis-printed inserts.