Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Stargate SG-1 Season 9? Maybe....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 10:02 PM
AOD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stargate SG-1 Season 9? Maybe....

Did a search and didn't see any info posted. If there is, I appologize in advance. For all you SG-1 fans (myself included) there may be hope for a season 9. There's a grumble at least. Taken from Gateworld.net:

Sci-Fi open to SG-1 Season Nine
MAY 18, 2004

Is the upcoming season of Stargate SG-1 really the show's final year? Not necessarily, if The Sci-Fi Channel can help it.

It's a question that's asked every year, ever since Showtime cancelled the series in 2002, after five seasons. SG-1 got a new lease on life when it was picked up by The Sci-Fi Channel, where it became their highest-rated series. According to a recent article in Multichannel News, Stargate SG-1 currently makes up 22 percent of the cable network's primetime (8 p.m. to 11 p.m. Eastern/Pacific) line-up. In March, the Season Seven finale scored a 2.1 household rating, Stargate's second-highest ever. (The highest, a 2.2, was in January.)

With the arrival of Season Eight in July, Stargate becomes the second-longest running science fiction series in the U.S., after The X-Files -- which ran nine years.

"We love it, we embrace it," Bonnie Hammer, Sci-Fi Channel president, told Multichannel News. "It's such an amazing franchise. I couldn't honestly say to you: Now it's Season Eight and it's over. It just might not be."

Despite the show's strong performance for the network, two significant hurdles stand in the way of its renewal: the budget, and the on-going participation of actor Richard Dean Anderson ("Jack O'Neill").

Stargate SG-1 now costs about $1.7 million per episode according to Multichannel News, a likely factor in Sci-Fi's decision to order 20 episodes this season, rather than the usual 22. The network does not share in additional revenue that the studio earns through syndication and DVD sales. And the network has also invested heavily in the new Battlestar Galactica series, which has kicked off production with a 13-episode order -- and a price tag even higher than SG-1's.

SG-1 executive producer Michael Greenburg thinks the show will go on. "If the demand is there, I think the show will be there. I think it can continue. Sci-Fi's a fairly new network. We're the highest rated show they've ever had. We've broken their records. It just feels like it's too early to go away."

"I don't know if Rick would continue. But who knows? You never know until the offer's on the table. But I think the franchise now is becoming bigger than the people."

MGM and Sci-Fi have developed a spin-off series, Stargate Atlantis in part to take the place of SG-1 when it eventually bids farewell -- but the two shows can certainly co-exist, Greenburg said.

Don't miss the complete article -- no doubt one of the most in-depth looks at Stargate ever published -- at Multichannel News! (Registration may be required.) The feature also includes a look behind the scenes of Atlantis, discusses Anderson's strong presence, Sci-Fi's involvement in its series, and the upcoming Battlestar Galactica.

I would love to see SG-1 oust X-files as the longest running U.S. Sci-Fi series ever. Here's hoping it keeps going. It's got my vote and then some.

Last edited by AOD; 05-26-04 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-25-04, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts
I enjoy every minute of SG-1. I can't wait to see season 7 on DVD. Here's hoping they can keep the cast and crew together. They are at that crucial point (season 8) like X-files where the cast has grown tired of it and feel it is time to move on. Leading to cast changes, and more than likely writer changes as well. Which in the end leads to a lower quality show.
Old 05-26-04, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 508 Likes on 352 Posts
Re: Stargate SG-1 Season 9? Maybe....

Stargate SG-1 now costs about $1.7 million per episode [/B]
And it shows. Sadly, by the looks of the teasers for Stargate: Atlantis, the cost per episode must be more like $37.50 and half a dozen stale Krispy Kremes.
Old 05-26-04, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by AOD
I would love to see SG-1 oust X-files as the longest running American Sci-Fi series ever.
Fixed.

Nothing's going to overtake Dr. Who.
Old 05-26-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First and foremost, Screw Bonnie Hammer. Don't believe a word that woman says. If she told me that the earth circled the sun, I'd get a second opinion and make sure she put it in writing.

I like the fact that SG-1 is pretty much saying F U to SciFi. $1.7 million, 20 episodes. Do the math and you just know that Hammer was trying to get those costs down or get a peice of the syndication pie. But when that show not only brings in the highest ratings but makes up nearly a quarter of the lineup, there's not much for SciFi to do but to bend over, say 'Thank You' and write the check.

The new SciFi-ized Atlantis has a great chance of sucking because the budget will be non existant. I expect lots of re-used footage and lots of episodes taking place in a 3 room set. Battlestar may have a good first season, but I weep for their second season when the budget gets cut and Hammer starts to complain about all the spaceships flying around.

D