Community
Search

Saving Private Ryan case

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saving Private Ryan case

what's with Universal using the new cool sturdy cardboard box (ala Good, Bad, Ugly) but then flipping the artwork around so that the back is now the front? doesn't look any more like a bullet box that way. the geniuses that okay these decisions...*sigh*
Old 05-25-04, 04:29 PM

What do you mean "the back is now the front? On my Saving Private Ryan disc out of the box set the front is clearly the front and it opens from the front. Sure it's considerably different than most, but the back is clearly the back and the front is clearly the front. And this release of Saving Private Ryan isn't being put out by Universal.

I don't know, maybe I'm just missing something in what you said.

That said, I really like the case. Its much more sturdy than a regular digipack (although mine will more than likely stay in the box for the set, which is extremely thin).

Last edited by bjh_18; 05-25-04 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 04:38 PM

Originally posted by bjh_18
What do you mean "the back is now the front?
i think i understand what hes talking about...think the Oz season sets flipped around.

anyway, i think the SPR box looks very classy and i have no gripes about it at all. in fact i think the design is rather nice and i like how the two disc trays snap together to keep the front from opening up. i really don't see how anyone could complain about this box.
Old 05-25-04, 04:39 PM
Banned

Haven't gotten mine yet, (in the mail from Amazon), but I did see it at Wal Mart when I went to buy ROTK, and I agree with bjh_18. The front is clearly the front, and the back is clearly the back.
Old 05-25-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's kind of funny that they labelled the supposed ammo can as 7.62mm... that's Vietnam-era rifle ammunition.
Old 05-25-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I know what he means. Ususally with boxes like this you get the large "cover" of the box as the front with the smaller part as the back. Saving Private Ryan, from what it looked like in the stores, is reversed.
Old 05-25-04, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

don't mind my griping...it really is classy packaging, and the only thing weird was the reversed "smaller" half as the front. usually, i'm the only one in my immediate circles who would nitpick on something like that, but two of my coworkers who took a look at my copy said the same thing, and they're only "casual" buyers. one said, "man, if i get this now, it's gonna look weird on my shelf, because it's not facing correctly!"
Old 05-25-04, 07:30 PM
Cool New Member

how would you guys review/rate this new dday edition. any good> how are he extras??
Old 05-25-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

At least it says "saving private ryan" on the side (what passes for the spine). Kinda strange that disc 2 is on the left side though.

K
Old 05-25-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mammal
It's kind of funny that they labelled the supposed ammo can as 7.62mm... that's Vietnam-era rifle ammunition.
[Pvt Pyle] 7.62 mm.....Full.....Metal.....Jacket [/Pvt Pyle]
Old 05-25-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
7.62 was used in ww2 as well... by the Russians. hmmm.
Old 05-25-04, 10:16 PM

does this set bring chapter listings?
Old 05-26-04, 08:13 AM

Originally posted by darmok
don't mind my griping...it really is classy packaging, and the only thing weird was the reversed "smaller" half as the front. usually, i'm the only one in my immediate circles who would nitpick on something like that, but two of my coworkers who took a look at my copy said the same thing, and they're only "casual" buyers. one said, "man, if i get this now, it's gonna look weird on my shelf, because it's not facing correctly!"
Ok, I see what you're saying. Yeah, it's a bit strange the way it opens up. But your coworkers don't need to worry about it looking funny on the shelf. I pulled mine out of the box set packaging to see how it would look on my shelf with all of my other war movies and it just looks like a normal digipack. The smaller portion of the front is recessed down inside the larger back portion slightly, so it doesn't look funny at all (aside from being a bit taller and sticking out a bit more.
Old 05-26-04, 09:05 AM
Banned

I was thinking about double dipping eventually but the packaging made that decision for me (first time I passed because of the packaging since that first Panic Room case). It looks like crap IMO and I agree that it looks like somebody reversed the back for the front.