Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Samsung quality...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-04, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Samsung quality...?

Has any one used Samsung products? Mainly in TV aspect because I'm looking into their product. Seemed to be pretty good and I didn't hear them having a lot of problems. Can someone who owns a Samsung TV, preferably Projection TV, tell me what they think of them so far and how satisfied are you? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

KC
Old 05-25-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
I've heard good things about the new DLP TVs but I wouldn't buy Samsung ANYTHING if it were me. Their stuff seems to crap out fairly quickly. Take a quick scan of BB and see how much Samsung open box items they have.
Old 05-25-04, 02:37 PM
AOD

DVD Josh,

I agree with you on the portable DVD player in the other thread, but not this subject. Samsung has come a LONG way in the last decade and produce quality stuff (with a few exceptions like everyone). And as far as the open boxes at BB, you could also say that about any manufacturer, not just Samsung. I believe their quality is second to none nowadays and A LOT of other individuals would back me up.

Wakanaiyo, if you are considering a Samsung product, you are making a wise decision. I am extremely happy with my DLP TV and am glad I didn't buy anything else. The picture is stunning. Just do a little research and you will see, the satisfaction factor is there. HERE'S a little reading material you might enjoy. One more thing. Don't buy a TV based upon what we or anyone else tells you. Go out and see it in action for yourself. All we can do is give you recommendations. Also keep in mind, the signal feeding the TV's at the store might not be the greatest also. There are a lot of factors involved. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited by AOD; 05-25-04 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AOD,

I can only base my opinion on my experiences. I purchased a Samsung DVD player for my fiancee not more than 18 months ago, and for the past few months, it farts out on BRAND NEW DVDs. My family has two Samsung CRTs that didn't last five years with normal use.

It's cool we disagree
Old 05-25-04, 04:30 PM
AOD

I guess we just have different opinions. That's ok. Just giving my impressions also.
Old 05-26-04, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have several Samsung products and it seems just as good as Panasonic and Toshiba and much better than Sony junk.
Old 05-26-04, 10:40 AM

wow, samsung's reputation and quality sure does come a long way... i can vouch for that. i do like sony... but half of the money i'm spending is on just the "sony insignia" at time it can be pretty steep and my pocket ain't that deep unfortunately.

i've heard the better projections you can still get very good pictures looking from an angle. any suggestions for me to look for so when i go to TV show rooms, i can keep a look out on what to look for.

thanks again

kc
Old 05-26-04, 11:00 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I personally avoid Samsung products like the plague. I bought a 20" TV of theirs a few years ago that was highly rated, and it had a very noticeable vertical bar on the left side of the screen. I exchanged it and the new one had the same problem. Also, the TV starting making an extremely annoying buzzing sound after a couple of days. I returned that one for a refund.

I also bought a pack of their CD-R's one time, as they were very cheap with a rebate. I followed all of their guidelines when submitting the rebate form, only to get a note in the mail a few months later saying they could not fulfill my rebate request. To make matters worse, about half of the CD-R's had CRACKS in the middle, rendering them useless.

I vowed at that moment never to buy Samsung again. And to compare them to Sony is crazy. I think Sony products for the most part are well-built and made to last (their receivers are one exception.)
Old 05-27-04, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wakanaiyo, kudos to Samsung for their 50" DLP
projection television and HD931 DVD player.
When connected using the DVI port, DVD's look
outstanding. Comments have been made about
poor black levels through the DVI port. I have not
encountered any such problems, as the levels are
deep with terrific shadow detail. Not all transfers
are created equal so quality will vary from disc to
disc. A well authored DVD allows for a pristine
presentation over this system. I have nothing but
praise for these products.

Last edited by highdef; 05-28-04 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-28-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Rasaan
And to compare them to Sony is crazy. I think Sony products for the most part are well-built and made to last (their receivers are one exception.)
Really? I've had invested a lot of money in Sony products. They break. Customer service is horrible. My last converstation with them went something like "so you don't care to lose customers?" them: "nope"
Old 05-28-04, 12:19 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally posted by svadas
Really? I've had invested a lot of money in Sony products. They break. Customer service is horrible. My last converstation with them went something like "so you don't care to lose customers?" them: "nope"
Well, I've never had a Sony product break down on me, so I haven't had to deal with their customer service. I don't imagine Samsung's is much better, though.
Old 05-28-04, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sony's Technical Support is much better than their customer support. But Sony footed the bill for an out of warranty repair, so to me, they are good people.
Old 05-28-04, 01:31 PM
Cool New Member

I love my Samsung 43" DLP and everyone that sees my setup immediately wants one. It's cheaper than Plasma and looks a lot better, IMO. And I do believe Samsung has upped the notch on quality in recent years. I trust them, but if you're spending a lot on any TV, you can always get an extended warranty.
Old 05-31-04, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm a convert to Samsung. I purchased their PLH403w 40" LCD 16x9 set back in 1999 and had no problems with it. Then in 2002 I upgraded to their first DLP set the 50" HLM-5065W and have been enjoying superb picture with it, totally trouble free. I also own their 10" portable DVD-L200 which has the best PQ of any portable I have owned, hands down (they even have a 12" version now).
Old 06-09-04, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by matome
I purchased their PLH403w 40" LCD 16x9 set back in 1999 and had no problems with it. Then in 2002 I upgraded to their first DLP set the 50" HLM-5065W and have been enjoying superb picture with it, totally trouble free.
Might I ask how you "upgraded"? What did you do with the 40" LCD? Just curious, I am looking at the Samsung 61" HLP that is dropping shortly, and am worried about the long-term investment.
Old 07-08-04, 05:14 AM
Banned

Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic over Samsung anyday. From personal experience, reliablity wise I would rate them from best to worst: Sony, Panasonic/Toshiba, Samsung. I've never had any Sony product break down on me and I've owned quite a few over the years. Panny and Tosh have been great as well only once have I had trouble with any of them. I've had 3 Samsung products and none of them lasted for more than 2 years. Pure junk.
Old 07-08-04, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Meatpants
Might I ask how you "upgraded"? What did you do with the 40" LCD? Just curious, I am looking at the Samsung 61" HLP that is dropping shortly, and am worried about the long-term investment.
The 40" LCD went into our finished basement. It's used every day and is almost five years old and is still going strong.
Old 07-08-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From what I have gathered in my couple of years of HTF and AVSforum, etc, HT research, Samsung is generally regarded as very good bang for the buck products. Not generally the best, but far from the bottom. Generally good products for a very good price, but some have their issues.

Whatever it is, research the product you are looking into. Everybody makes something good and something bad. Don't be a brand slave. It's OK to have different nameplates. In fact, it's fun, and familiarizes you with the different brands.

I've got an Onkyo receiver, Infocus projector, Zenith upconverting DVD player (and I never thought I'd buy a Zenith product after my last TV). My Panasonic CP72 DVD player bit the dust, but I am still partial to Panny products (they make good CRTs and Excellent Plasmas).

But it's OK to avoid a few names like the plague (like I do with RCA and Kmart-branded products).

As far as Samsung projection TVs, unless you're looking into a DLP set...I haven't heard a lot of bad things, but neither are they highly recommended for CRT RPTVs. Their CRTs are supposed to be good bang for $. And their DLP RPTVs are well-liked.

For old-school CRT RPTVs - I've generally heard to go Mitsubishi, Hitachi, Toshiba, etc.. I've heard them generally regarded as the best PQ performers.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 07-08-04 at 04:39 PM.