Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

How do you transport 300+ DVDs 1200 miles?

Old 05-25-04, 04:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm moving out of state and I'll be using ABF which is a freight transport system. On their website www.upack.com they make it explicit several times that their trucks are not air-ride equipped. I can't take my collection with me in the car as I'm already hauling a lot of other things that I will actually need the first few days.

I read up on folders and the concensus seems to be that they scratch DVDs, a fate I'm desperately trying to avoid. What would people recommend? Do I try to pack and double/triple box the DVDs best I can? How many keepcases do I stack together before I put padding in between? Also would it be safer to send them media mail to my new home or just load them on the truck with the rest of my possessions? Either way I figure it's an above the line deduction so I should be able to recoup the cost.
Old 05-25-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know 100 DVDs in keep cases will cost about $20 to ship UPS Ground from one coast to the other if you pay the retail rate (take it to a UPS Store or UPS Center to avoid surcharges from private mailing service stores). If you have a UPS account at work with a daily pickup rate, it will be even less, about $15. Insurance is just 35 cents per hundred bucks. So, it might be worth it for you to send them UPS.
Old 05-25-04, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also say ship them. easier and takes the load off. just insure them
Old 05-25-04, 06:21 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You could get some of the larger cd wallets. Put the dvd's in it, and ship the cases freight or whatever. The wallets will take very little space, and no scratched dvd's.
Old 05-25-04, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hate to tell you, when you ship them they will not be on an air ride equipped truck either (most likely), plus have you seen how delivery guys treat packages. Just pack them carefully, some paper or bubble wrap in with the DVD and put them in with the rest of your stuff. If DVDs are the most valuable and delicate thing you are moving, then you are lucky since they are pretty durable. I would be more worried about the dishes and and my electronics/computer stuff.
Old 05-25-04, 06:33 AM

off topic, but i was pondering this myself, i'm moving across country at the end of the summer. if you could, update what kind of job they did, i'm looking for someone to cart some of my heavier stuff out there. are they moving your furniture and stuff, or just boxes? i'm most worried about my vinyl
Old 05-25-04, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally posted by Romero
You could get some of the larger cd wallets. Put the dvd's in it, and ship the cases freight or whatever. The wallets will take very little space, and no scratched dvd's.
I second this reccommendation
Old 05-25-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Go to Best Buy or another retailer on a Tuesday, and ask to have some of their empty dvd ship boxes. These will hold ~25 and the alpha cases fit perfectly, and these are what BMG/WEA/Disney/etc actually ship the dvds to all retailers in, no extra packaging or padding. Put them in these boxes then use clothes or towels or bedding to wrap them and put them in a bigger box. This will be more than enough protection.
Old 05-25-04, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Besides the wallets, you could get plastic slim cd cases. 2 of these are the same size as a normal cd case. Unless your car is packed to the roof, your should be able to easly fit 300 in your car.
Old 05-25-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Take the DVD's with you on CD Wallets and ship empty DVD Cases.
Old 05-25-04, 11:09 AM

when i moved from san diego back to washington dc, i had the movers transport my collection which was about 400+ and then they stored them for about 6 months. didn't have any problems at all.
Old 05-25-04, 03:06 PM
Cool New Member

Reminds me of my similar thread. I know it doesn't help much, but when faced with the problem of transporting dvds to another country, I would give anything to be facing your problem instead. :P I've finally settled on binders for most dvds, then having the artwork/most non-keep cases shipped later. Though cross country shipping prices are low enough I think I wouldn't dismiss just shipping them all ups ground or something. But then I'm looking at several hundred dollars of shipping costs so my opinion is probably skewed. Just remember, it's going to take a looooong time to stick all those dvds in binders, and then move them back to keep cases. I would rather pay an additional $50 or $60 than do that, if I was only going to be without my dvds for a month or so.
Old 05-25-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tyvek disc envelopes - or cd spools. The discs will then fit in a 12" x 12" x 6" box...keep the box with you so they don't get hot or lost. Ship the empty cases cheapest way. And don't worry about your keepcases, unless you like to worry about things.
Old 05-25-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If my dishes break it'll be an excuse to buy new ones. The ones I have are crap. My electronics I've got all of the original packing materials for, boxes, molded styrofoam, etc. I figure I can fill any empty spaces with newsprint if need be. Strangely enough I fear something happening to the DVDs the most since I just don't know how much packing material is enough. Everything else I'm either concerned about (i.e. diploma frames) or need I'm bringing in the car including my CD collection.

The slimline jewel case suggestion is intriguing. I'd need about 400 of them but I guess I could carve out a space for them on the back seat.

I'll be sure to stop by Best Buy next week to get a few DVD boxes for the cases. Guess I better start figuring out how many I'll need.

What about disc envelopes? Do those scratch the discs or CD spools? Do those potentially damage the discs?
Old 05-25-04, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I own a moving company and I tell all my clients to take them themselves. are you driving?...sorry...didnt read everything. dont risk a dropped or crushed box. not to say my company has problems...we never have. but going cross-country...the dude packin' the truck better know what the hell he's doing.
Old 05-25-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally posted by Romero
Exactly. You'll save tons of space this way and you're DVD's will be there with you the whole time. You can get a CD binder than holds 208 and another one that holds 128 for about $40. Much cheaper then shipping it.
Old 05-25-04, 09:25 PM

I have more than 500 DVDs and I just placed them in regular shipping boxes-- no extra padding or bubblewrap and they all arrived in perfect condition from Michigan to New York. No point in spending extra on shipping when you're spending major dollars for your movers! About the vinyl, I have an LP collection and laserdisc collection and I didn't really do anything extra for them either and they all arrived in excellent condition. It really just depends on your movers.

Last edited by tali219; 05-25-04 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-25-04, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I used rubbermaid containers that I bought at Wal-Mart with a cardboard paper in between layers. Protects the DVDs and cases...

Cheers

DVD Smurf
Old 05-25-04, 11:36 PM

The most obvious and simple solution hasn't been mentioned yet.

Liquidate your collection on the DVD Exchange forum and repurchase everything avoiding all the "double dipping" versions that you wasted money on before.

Therefore you have a pristine collection and you save yourself the trouble of double dipping in the past. On a side note, you also have complete foresight on which DVDs to avoid due to lack of inserts.