Back to the future box set

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im looking to buy the back to the future box set but im worried i will get the one that has the messed up 2 dvds, I know there was a thread on here but ive tryed searching and went threw this whole section of the forum and cant find it. Can anyone tell me how i can tell if its the new version at the store? Or maybe theres a place online that sells only the new ones? Thanks
Old 05-24-04, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a thread from hometheater forum that will be useful to you... http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=140414

I just bought BTTF a month ago and got my replacement discs within the month. It is no hassle at all. That is your best bet right now.
Old 05-24-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Here is the thread about the replacement discs. Was this what you were looking for?

LBCrazyFool is right. I have always said this is the quickest and easiest way to have the corrected discs. You'll get 'em a lot faster than waiting on the corrected ones showing up online or at a B&M.

Oh, here's a few tricks on doing a search on here for the BTTF threads (and others)

1) Don't use the "search this forum" function at the bottom of the page

2) Go to the Forum Jump dropdown menu and select "Search"

3) Enter "Back future" in the 'search by keyword' field (remember, use nothing smaller than 4 letters)

4) Search "DVD Talk", Search "Titles Only", select "2 weeks" "and older"

Perform your search and there ya go!
Old 05-24-04, 07:54 PM

Thanks for all the help, I'll just buy it then get the replacement dvds then.
Old 05-24-04, 08:37 PM

Odds are if you buy it you'll get the one with the two messed up discs. I did.

I also just got my replacements from Universal. No problemo. I called in, they sent the mailer, I sent in my discs (for II and III only), I waited, and waited... waited... and then my new discs showed up shrinkwrapped in nice clear CD jewel cases packed in a big sturdy box.

So the good thing is, this replacement deal works.
Old 05-25-04, 11:17 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

you know its been atleast 2 weeks and i have not received my replacement disks as of yet
Old 05-25-04, 11:19 AM

^ It may take another week or two. Too early to be worried.
Old 05-25-04, 11:28 AM
ruk
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks
Old 05-25-04, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ya know, this is a really great set I was watching the other day. It's a shame the whole "misframing" fiasco scares away some customers and fans. I dunno, just my thought of the day I suppose.
Old 05-30-04, 09:41 AM

I'm an Australian customer who ordered the set from DVD Soon. I ordered the 'new version' that is apparently re-mastered. But I don't know if this is the corrected version.

Should I receive the wrong discs, does anyone knoe if I'll have any chance of the replacement deal happening since I'm in Australia?
Old 05-30-04, 12:32 PM

i emailed universal on several occasions and got the same uniform reply back each time, saying that they would only ship them out to the US and canada.

i got my set from dvdsoon.com too, and when it arrived it was the old version. i emailed them back and they said that they'd be happy to exchange it - i just had to send back the box to them and they'd credit my account to the value of the discs. so i could then re-order it and hopefully get the new version.

according to them there was some sort of mixup or something which meant that alongside the new 'remastered' discs being sent out to dvdsoon from universal, they also received some more of the old framing-error versions.

luckily, though, i have a friend in the US who i sent my discs to and they did the universal replacement deal for me. i figured it would be easier than going thru the hassle of sending mine back to dvdsoon.. at least this way i was guaranteed to get the new versions.

so you can either try badgering universal (email? phone call?) until they give in - i'm pretty sure that they USED to send the discs overseas) or wait and see what you get from dvdsoon. remember, the new discs have a green sticker on the front of the box as opposed to a red one.

-Mark

(p.s. i got my discs originally from dvdsoon back in february or march, so by now they may only be selling the corrected versions. as i say, you can tell by the colour of the sticker on the front of the box.)
Old 05-30-04, 01:46 PM
Cool New Member

this is off topic but,
when are they going to give me an option to buy JUST THE FIRST movie seperate!?!?! Ill keep waiting.

and to stay on topic,
it seems a little weird that this set has been out so long but if you buy it you still get the defective versions. how come they havent shipped out fixed sets to stores?
Old 05-30-04, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts
Originally posted by sanzrigel
this is off topic but,
when are they going to give me an option to buy JUST THE FIRST movie seperate!?!?! Ill keep waiting.
I don't think they have any plans to release the first one separately. Things may change but it will be quite a while.

Originally posted by sanzrigel
and to stay on topic,
it seems a little weird that this set has been out so long but if you buy it you still get the defective versions. how come they havent shipped out fixed sets to stores?
It's easier (and cheaper) just to replace 'em when people complain. I would imagine it was a very small percentage of consumers that would even know a framing issue existed. Add to that, only a percentage of those that know of the problem would care enough about a slight framing issue to request a replacement.
Old 05-30-04, 03:54 PM

the original movie is available by itself in regions 2 and 4.

but you might as well just buy the box set, you can pick it up for under $30.

http://www.dvdpacific.com/item.asp?ID=40787
Old 05-30-04, 09:35 PM

Actually its also available in Region 3 (Korea) with DTS, and Region 3 is NTSC.