Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

DVD Talk review of 'Dianetics: A Visual Guidebook To the Mind'

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-04, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read Don Houston's DVD review of Dianetics: A Visual Guidebook To the Mind at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10836 and...

I liked it. The sinister cult of scientology should never again be allowed to sell any of its fraudulous products.
Old 05-25-04, 09:14 AM

Psst - your bias is showing...

I found it interesting that the author would be so undisguised in his bias. I expected that he'd be a bit more subtle. A reviewer is supposed to be impartial - this guy clearly came to the DVD with a prejudice against the subject (probably from the hate-site he links) and then just trashed the material.
Interesting too, that though he gives it a high star rating, he gives it a "skip it" - clearly again only due to his own bias.
Most interesting is that he presents a link to a hate-site that is run by a bigot and avowed enemy of the subject. It's like telling people to go research Judaica at a Nazi site. VERY noteworthy, the author presents NO actual links to www.dianetics.org - coincidence? Oversight? I think not.
Dianetics has hundreds of thousands of documented case studies internationally. Scientology has millions of supporters all over the world. Perhaps it is because IT WORKS.
Unlike the author of this piece, I have USED Dianetics techniques. I have been able to help people overcome many personal traumas and emotional hardships through this program. I advise everyone reading this that they THINK FOR THEMSELVES and see the tape, read the book, apply the principles in the book at their own leisure, and leave the wannabe pundits to their usual ivory-tower natter.
Sincerely,
Greg Churilov
www.liveandgrow.org
www.whatisscientology.org
Old 05-25-04, 09:17 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
TruthNotRumors,

I invite you to start a thread in our "Other" forum discussing Scientology. Might be an interesting debate.
Old 05-25-04, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: Psst - your bias is showing...

Originally posted by TruthNotRumors
I found it interesting that the author would be so undisguised in his bias. I expected that he'd be a bit more subtle. A reviewer is supposed to be impartial
Setting aside all your blather about Scientology for the moment, your supposition that "a reviewer is supposed to be impartial" is utter nonsense. There is no such thing as objective film criticism. It is entirely subjective.

That the writer was undisguised in his bias is a good thing. It means he's being honest with his personal biases, so that the reader can judge whether or not he/she would agree with them. In this case, obviously you did not.

Consider the opposite. Suppose he had written an entirely glowing and positive review of the disc without revealing that he was in fact a fully brainwashed, mid-level flunky in the Scientology organization. How dishonest and immoral would that have been?

Don't drink the Kool-Aid, 'kay?
Old 05-28-04, 11:43 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

Pssst, cults are for those without a life

Truth, I'll consider adding a link to the organization to be fair but keep in mind a couple of things:
1) I'm not impartial; I call them like I see them. I was up front about what I thought and you should appreciate that fact. I pointed out that people should make up their own mind, especially since the massive efforts by members of your cult to suppress dissenting opinions by a variety of means, has proven so successful.

2) My "high ratings" were on the technical issues, not the content. The picture and audio were very clear so I rated them accordingly. The extra included was a simple paper card with the process on it, so I begrudingly gave it a half star. The show itself amounted to an info-mercial on how to talk to another person in order to cure psychosomatic illnesses.

You don't need an organization to talk to someone (especially one that charges so much) and if some sad, lonely, and desperate people need such a group to give them a feeling of belonging, so be it. There was an underlying premise that those who believe in this system must be highly suggestable (and weak willed). I doubt believers have noticed this premise in all it's glory although those who have left the cult have been all too willing to detail it.

3) Anecdotal evidence about people finding cures with this system remind me of the faith healers that are seen on early morning cable. The people that believe them are portrayed as naive, stupid, and weak willed. Interestingly enough, many critics have suggested the same of those in your cult. People have been "cured" by a whole host of things that had no scientific value over the years and that doesn't mean they were ever sick or that the so called cure had any merit.

In any case, the link I put in the review was for balance since the cult is very aggressive about promoting itself to all those that don't ask too many questions. I'm curious why you'd find it so offensive that I'd put a link to a dissenting opinion, from a man who was in your cult for decades (and therefore something of an expert in it's practices), that gooes out of his way to provide numerous links to credible information.

Regardless, if you derive some benefit from your cult and it's practices, more power to you. I'm in discussions with other, more reasonable, followers about some facets of the review that could use polish. If you think a DVD lasting under an hour, having no supporting data, and no extras to speak of, is worthy of a high rating, you're in the minority.
Old 06-02-04, 01:54 PM

So, where's the link then?

Don, the video is for use. You don't need an organization to talk to someone, and you don't need an organization to use the techniques in the video. I bought Dianetics when I was a much younger man, and with the techniques in the book I was able to counsel my girlfriend through some very traumatic experiences in her youth and she became a happier person. No organization was needed for this.

Your continued use of the term "cult" is offensive. Dianetics is a set of techniques used to better people's lives, and is a part of the teachings of L. Ron Hubbard - founder of the Church of Scientology. Dianetics is a book and a video that anyone can apply for themselves. Scientology, as an organization, is nationally recognized as a charitable religious organization, deservant of the same treatment as Catholic, Judaic or otherwise. Your choice of words is meant to denigrate, and is not appreciated.

You say that your link is to an "expert" - sure, the same way that a KKK member is an "expert" on black culture, or the same way that a nazi hate-site is an "expert" on judaism. You do nobody a service by pointing potential readers or viewers of this DVD to a blatant bigot and hater of all things Scientology.

You also do not mention that there are millions of people worldwide that have "anecdotal" success stories and are happily using these principles to better their lives.

At any rate, yes, a link to http://www.dianetics.org or to another site actually dealing with Dianetics might be a decent thing to do.

Sincerely,
Greg Churilov
www.liveandgrow.org
Old 06-02-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Re: So, where's the link then?

Scientology, as an organization, is nationally recognized as a charitable religious organization, deservant of the same treatment as Catholic, Judaic or otherwise.
This is currently true in the United States. In Germany, on the other hand, the organization is officially designated as a cult and has had their activities restricted.
Old 06-02-04, 03:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
To be fair, Germany doesn't exactly have a squeaky-clean history when it comes to "restricting" certain religions.
Old 06-03-04, 02:34 AM

Re: DVD Talk review of 'Dianetics: A Visual Guidebook To the Mind'

Originally posted by antisectes
I read Don Houston's DVD review of Dianetics: A Visual Guidebook To the Mind at http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10836 and...

I liked it. The sinister cult of scientology should never again be allowed to sell any of its fraudulous products.
what about the other cults(religions) that sell their fraudulous prodcuts.
Old 06-03-04, 11:31 AM
colossus

Scientology, as an organization, is nationally recognized as a charitable religious organization, deservant of the same treatment as Catholic, Judaic or otherwise. Your choice of words is meant to denigrate, and is not appreciated.
Originally posted by Groucho
To be fair, Germany doesn't exactly have a squeaky-clean history when it comes to "restricting" certain religions..
Germany refuses Scientology because it exhibits totalitarian leanings, not because it's a "charitable religious organization".
Old 06-06-04, 04:06 PM

Re: Psst - your bias is showing...

- this guy clearly came to the DVD with a prejudice against the subject (probably from the hate-site he links)
I can't see the link anywhere on the review page ??
Old 06-06-04, 05:13 PM

A cult is a small, unpopular religion. A religion is a large, popular cult.
Old 06-07-04, 08:02 PM
Emeritus Reviewer

You say that your link is to an "expert" - sure, the same way that a KKK member is an "expert" on black culture, or the same way that a nazi hate-site is an "expert" on judaism. You do nobody a service by pointing potential readers or viewers of this DVD to a blatant bigot and hater of all things Scientology.
The link was to a website of a man who was a long time practitioner of Dianetics. Who better to provide a counterpoint to the droning group-speak of the cult? He knows the details, the inner secrets, and provides links to a host of sources of information. By providing the link to his website and telling readers to make up their own minds about the cult and it's practices, I think I was a lot fairer than you claim. I'll add a link to the official website though since I promised someone that wrote me an email about it.

Son-Volt: Great comment!
Old 06-12-04, 11:03 PM

I took the time to write a reply (and a brilliant one at that), but as usual I wasn't logged in and "it" ate my prose. One of these days I'm going to learn to do a CTRL C beforehand so at least I can try again.

In a nutshell.... enjoyed the review. Saw the "infomercial" myself and it was an amusing and very slick story. Loved the detractors. Esp. the part about THINKING FOR ONESELF in regard to THIS film... oxy....moron......and finally I just have to say I hate this software....