Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

Subwoofer out of phase on Dave Matthews Band Central Park DVD ?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RE: Dave Matthews Band: The Central Park Concert

I've loved this DVD for the content, but it has always sounded muddy to me (I have a decent HT system: Front L&R speakers: Infinity RS-5 / Center: Infinity CC-3 / Surrounds L&R: Infinity QPS-1 / Back Surrounds L&R: Dual LU50PW / Sub: Kenwood: 1050SW / Receiver: Sony STR-DE995 / DVD: Sony DVP-NS300B). Whereas all my other DVDs sound great (regardless of sound format).

Recently I cranked the volume while watching the Central Park DVD and noted a thumping distortion from the sub. I reversed the phase on the sub, and voila---beautiful crisp sound, full, deep bass response, and no distortion.

You're probably wondering why I didn't post this in the HT forum...
I'd like to see if others have this same issue with the Central Park disc. Also, I was under the impression that when you got the phase right for your system, it was always right as long as you didn't change anything (i.e. location of speakers, etc.). Reversing the phase of the sub in any other situation results in poor sound. So the problem is only with this disc. (I've also used a HT setup disc to make sure my phase was correct).

Does anyone else have to reverse the phase for a particular DVD?
Old 05-22-04, 01:39 PM
Banned

I wouldn't know how to do it if I did. My 5.1 system is just a mini-shelf system and the wires are the only thing that I have control over. I've never had to touch anything. Although my left sub has some sort of a problem. At certain frequencies it makes a flutter sound. Usually occurs during certain loud explosions, but not all. Depends on the frequency of the sound. I can get really good low continuous frequencies, but a sudden "pop" will make the speaker flutter. It may be the mounting itself. The screws may be lose and the sound may be vibration against the casing.
Old 05-22-04, 11:10 PM

Having never heard this DVD i'm not sure how intense the bass is, but did a lookup on your sub the 1050sw and see that its a 150 watt RMS sub that is capable of reaching 200hz to 20hz according to manufactors specs.
A few questions

What is your crossover set to on your receiver for your sub. THX specs recommend 80hz, which is a good place to start.

Have you used a professional dvd like Avia and a Sound Pressure Meter to accurately calibrate your sub to your main speakers?

Avia has a nice subwoofer sweep that goes from 100hz to 20hz, interesting to see how well your sub handles the lower hz ranges.

150 watts RMS isn't an exceptional amount of power and by cranking your receiver you may have reached your sub limit. Again, I have not heard this dvd and not sure how intense the bass is, but lower frequency bass is harder to reproduce then upper frequency, most lower priced subs will choke once they start going below 30hz.

Recommend to calibrate your subs level to your mains using Avia (or similiar) with a sound pressure meter and trying crossover of 80hz. Do not use any sort of bass boost or bass management on your receiver, then try playing the dvd again.
Old 05-22-04, 11:26 PM

thanks for the replies...

Again, the DVD sounds fine (even when cranked) after reversing the phase. So there is no need to recalibrate, etc, since this is the only DVD on which the distortion occurs (which, I'll say again, is completely resolved with reversing the phase on the sub). All other DVDs sound fine without reversing the phase. Therefore it can be concluded that the phenomenon is isolated to the disc and not the sub. The question is:

"I'd like to see if others have this same issue with the Central Park disc."
Old 05-22-04, 11:50 PM

Does your DVD sound muddy the whole time or only when your cranking it (before reversing the phase)? I seriously doubt that a music DVD would be released with subwoofer problems, but then again Jurrasic Park DTS was a disaster as well.
Try sending an email to the studio who released the dvd and ask them.
Old 05-23-04, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Mike Lowrey
I wouldn't know how to do it if I did. My 5.1 system is just a mini-shelf system and the wires are the only thing that I have control over. I've never had to touch anything. Although my left sub has some sort of a problem. At certain frequencies it makes a flutter sound. Usually occurs during certain loud explosions, but not all. Depends on the frequency of the sound. I can get really good low continuous frequencies, but a sudden "pop" will make the speaker flutter. It may be the mounting itself. The screws may be lose and the sound may be vibration against the casing.
That's most likely the sound of your sub bottoming out.
Old 05-23-04, 06:16 AM

Originally posted by Shroud
Does your DVD sound muddy the whole time or only when your cranking it (before reversing the phase)?
Nope, system sounds great all the time when phase is set to normal. The Central Park disc now sounds great as long as I set the sub to reverse phase.

I really wish someone with the disk would try listening to it and try reversing the phase to see if sound is improved.