Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Archives > Archives > DVD Talk Archive
Reload this Page >

What to do with the Criterion David Lean films?

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Appearing on the Digital Bits' "Rumor Mill"...
"Speaking of MGM... we've got a heads-up on some of the titles the studio is tentatively planning for September release. Look for a Judgement at Nuremberg: Special Edition, a David Lean Collection featuring Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, In Which We Serve, Madeleine, Oliver Twist, Passionate Friends and This Happy Breed."

So, there's a good chance that these Criterions will go OOP, however, MGM's versions will more than likely have better transfers than the Criterion versions. What to do, what to do.
Old 05-22-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean, "What to do"? Once you find out the specs of the new releases, make the decision to keep the better Criterion editions or sell 'em on eBay while they're hot.
Old 05-22-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very much doubting the Criterion versions will be better. Brief Encounter is pretty much guaranteed to get a better transfer from MGM (I believe they're putting it through a new digital restoration), although the Criterion has a commentary. Not sure about Great Expectations or Oliver Twist but neither of the Criterion transfers are that hot so it won't be hard for MGM to top them.
Old 05-22-04, 01:02 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
is there any chance the criterions will remain i print? Sometimes other studios come out with their versions and the criterions remain available.
Old 05-22-04, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If the MGM versions are better, go with the MGM ones. The exception might be Brief Encounter that has a pretty good Bruce Eder commentary track.
Old 05-22-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to threadcrap on David Lean but:

JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG: SE

Yah!
Old 05-22-04, 02:04 PM

Wow, I totally missed that the first two times I looked at the Bits story. I mean, I'm excited about David Lean, but Judgment at Nuremberg is way overdue.
Old 05-22-04, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Location: You have moved into a dark place. It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
I'll wait for the reviews to see if I want to pick up the boxed set or just pick up the titles that I don't already have through the Criterion Collection.

In any case, I'm holding onto my Criterion version of Brief Encounter for the commentary. It's one of my favourite films, and one that I've oft-replayed.
Old 06-01-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was waiting for a more affordable version of Brief Encounter, I'll pick it up.
Old 06-01-04, 09:54 PM

The Criterion discs will all be staying in print, so no need to rush to buy them if you don't have them already. Wait for the reviews and comparisons.
Old 06-21-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would be wise to hold on to your Criterions, after all. From DavisDVD:

"MGM Home Entertainment has removed The David Lean Collection from its release schedule indefinitely. The eight-disc set (which included the films In Which We Serve, This Happy Breed, Blithe Spirit, Brief Encounter, Great Expectations, Oliver Twist, The Passionate Friends, and Madeleine) was due on September 7th. No new date has been set."

Bummer.
Old 06-21-04, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It's not a bummer if they're going to take some extra time to make better DVDs. They were barebones, so hopefully that will change.