Joan Of Arcadia "Silence" -- 05.21.2004

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Silence

In the first-season finale, a sick and feverish Joan is confused when God visits her in more incarnations than usual and delivers several contradictory messages. Meanwhile, Helen and Will each have strange yet spiritual experiences that cause them to ponder their faith. Ruth Washington: Debra Mooney. Denise: Debbon Ayer. Walter: Jeff Cahill. Chessmaster God: John Marshall Jones.
Could some kind soul post what happened at the beginning of this ep [up 'til the Shining twins showed up in the bathroom...]

thanks.

[before the ep ends...]
Old 05-21-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Helen has a dream of the night that the cops showed up to tell her that Kevin was in an accident. Kevin walks down the stairs and asked what the clowns wants. The cops turn into sad clowns. Helen's very confused. Helen also see God in church (in the dream), they talk about Joan, and how she's open to possibilities. The dream freaks out Helen, and she tells Will about it.

Will is called away from breakfast because there's a hostage situation at the sheriff station. The hostage is a domestic situation where the guy is holding his significant other (woman) hostage. The guy grabbed a sheriff's gun. The guy wants his mother, and the mother shows up. The woman being held hostage claimed that she was pregnant. The mother didn't believe a word the woman said. She goes to confront her son. The son gets distracted by the woman trying to get away from him, and the son fires his gun and shoot his mother. The sheriffs then secure the station once the son gives up the gun.

At school, Joan is scratching up a storm on her lower leg at school. Grace and the Luke's geeky friend think that Joan and Adam did the deed, but she tells them they didn't do anything. Joan feels sick and heads for the bathroom where she sees the twins in the mirror.
Old 05-21-04, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I was hoping for a Patman Recap™.

I thank you and my girlfriend thanks you
Old 05-21-04, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I guess this show got hit with the reset button has the year has been medically explained away by Joan contracting Lyme disease, which can cause the symptoms she experienced this season (culminating with hallucinations). Joan is confused, tries to seek solace with Adam, but he can't give her the understanding she needs. Joan, at this point, has let her faith subside. With Joan being treated for her affliction, will she be willing to do incredibly strange acts to help out a situation?

Will is utterly confused because he keeps seeing a mother who was shot by her son in a hostage situation at the sheriff's station, and passed away. Then at the hospital, the mother shows up as a recovering patient, giving Will advice on matters. Later Will's partner at the sheriff's department confirms that the mother died on the scene, and this befuddles Will. So it would seem Will is having conversations with God now.

Helen's weird dreams drive her to go to church, and she meets the priest who she met earlier in the season (as she seeked answers for why God let Kevin suffer his accident). Helen gets a talk on consolation and desolation, and the ebb and flow of life's ups and downs.

Luke and Grace finally hash it out, Grace claiming she wasn't into Luke, and Luke throwing out his scientific ponderings and giving into the lunacy that is love. They finally give into the impulse and share a passionate kiss.

This episode had that whacked out feeling as Joan's condition caused her to see all sorts of strange things, I almost got that "The Ring" vibe to the episode during Joan's scenes.
Old 05-21-04, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thank you for reminding me that she was in The Ring in a little skirt

An okay episode. Is it just me or do have of the couples on TV now get together by getting into a fight and then kissing in the middle of it? With the appearance of the teen God at the end, I guess that we are meant to believe that she has not been hallucinating the whole time. A bit of a weak finale, but it did have its moments.
Old 05-21-04, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, of course, God is still going to be with Joan, but Joan's reticence will carry us through the start of next season, and God will have to slowly regain a foothold in her faith, which only she can decide to give into or not.

Last edited by Patman; 05-21-04 at 08:56 PM.
Old 05-21-04, 08:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I liked it.

It was much better then the snooze fest of the past few episodes that centered on the Joan/Adam relationship.
Old 05-21-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good episode. Nice to see at the end God came and watch after Joan. He didn't abandon her afterall. But I'm wondering if he will make less demand of her next season because it seems to be taking a toll on her.
Old 05-22-04, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by Patman
Will is utterly confused because he keeps seeing a mother who was shot by her son in a hostage situation at the sheriff's station, and passed away. Then at the hospital, the mother shows up as a recovering patient, giving Will advice on matters. Later Will's partner at the sheriff's department confirms that the mother died on the scene, and this befuddles Will.
Actually, didn't Will's partner say something about her surviving but then dieing of a heart attack right after Will interviewed her at the hospital? The only vision would have been her in the hall the last time he saw her.
Old 05-22-04, 02:13 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Brak55
Actually, didn't Will's partner say something about her surviving but then dieing of a heart attack right after Will interviewed her at the hospital? The only vision would have been her in the hall the last time he saw her.
That's correct
Old 05-22-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry, I was typing the opening synopsis for Rogue588 in real time when the scene between Will and the guy's mother took place.
Old 05-22-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
Well, of course, God is still going to be with Joan, but Joan's reticence will carry us through the start of next season, and God will have to slowly regain a foothold in her faith, which only she can decide to give into or not.
Exactly, which means that it will basically be a replay of the first season.
Old 05-22-04, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
At least it was different than it's been in its long rut. But will there be a different direction next year or just back into the same old rut?
Old 05-22-04, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone know when the repeat of this will be?
Old 05-23-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Probably will repeat right before Season 2 begins at least.

I liked this episode...partially because it was weird (really weird for this show), and partially because the last few episodes have sucked. I think Ive only continued watching for the same reason I bet movieking has been watching...Amber Tamblyn is gorgeous .

I dunno if it will be a rehash of season 1 though...before she pretty much believed when God told her a few things that only He could know...but I think given whats happened now, when He comes to her again, shes going to more likely just think shes going crazy again.
Old 05-23-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wonder if the show is moving in a new direction. Maybe God will be speaking to mom starting season 2. Maybe it'll offload some burden from Joan.
Old 05-23-04, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Joan's going to be a skeptic the next season.