Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

ESPN Baseball

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
ESPN Baseball

I just got this game for xbox. I was playing Inside Pitch 2003 and had gotten used to it. What are peoples thoughts on this title? The players look a little funny but they do in all of the games. I like that you can download updated rosters on Live. I havent figured out pitching but someone told me that i need to have rumble on to be able to tell if i'm aiming for a strike or a ball. so, i'm having a hard time striking out anyone.

I want this to be my new baseball game to play this year (since i got it free). Anyone have any tips on how to play better or anyone out there love/hate this game?

-Dave
Old 05-19-04, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i played this series for the past 2 years & loved it. thought last year's was the best baseball game since rbi on nes, but this year's version is crap. everything that looked great the last 2 years looks pretty lame this year. the players look more like michael myers from halloween than mlb players & the stadiums aren't very crisp looking like in the past. the game play isn't very good either.

i play mvp constantly this year. i think the stadiums basically look like crap in this game 2, but the players look better & gameplay is hands down better. when i 1st got mvp i thought it sucked because the stadiums, fans, etc were all cheaply animated as compared 2 ws/espn baseball from the last couple years. after playing it for a while i have 2 say it's a much better game. espn took a huge step backwards this year. it feels like a rushed product & it came out after mvp.
Old 05-19-04, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Swell's opinion is pretty much the popular one from the review sites and user opinion. Frankly, I thought all the baseball offerings were pretty poor this year, so I'm working on Ninja Gaiden instead.
Old 05-19-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really enjoy ESPN baseball. I think the gameplay is pretty sweet. I LOVE the GM mode.

Of course, I have not played EA's game this year either....
Old 05-19-04, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm still digging on MVP, I really like it. Really feels like 'if it's in the game, it's in the game'.
Old 05-19-04, 07:51 PM

Still prefer High Heat 2004.
Old 05-19-04, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Originally posted by Swell86
i played this series for the past 2 years & loved it. thought last year's was the best baseball game since rbi on nes, but this year's version is crap. everything that looked great the last 2 years looks pretty lame this year. the players look more like michael myers from halloween than mlb players & the stadiums aren't very crisp looking like in the past. the game play isn't very good either.

i play mvp constantly this year. i think the stadiums basically look like crap in this game 2, but the players look better & gameplay is hands down better. when i 1st got mvp i thought it sucked because the stadiums, fans, etc were all cheaply animated as compared 2 ws/espn baseball from the last couple years. after playing it for a while i have 2 say it's a much better game. espn took a huge step backwards this year. it feels like a rushed product & it came out after mvp.
I disagree. I think this years version looks the sae if not better then last years. They have awesome stat tracking, such as career stats, and MLB records, and the stadiums look fine to me.

I liked MVP, too. My advice is get ESPN for the console and if you play PC games, get MVP for PC for mods.
Old 05-20-04, 06:32 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a 7 year old newphew that just got Xbox and really loves baseball...any particular Baseball game that is good but easier to play than the others?
Old 05-20-04, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 403 Likes on 303 Posts
Backyard Baseball?
Old 05-20-04, 08:58 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Backyard Baseball?
Actually, he has that on the PC and loves it but he needs a bit more challange.