The Day After (nuclear war film) FF??

Community
Search

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm still waiting for my amazon shipment containing The Day After. This film was shown on TV in the US and was later released theatrically in Europe with additional footage (too shocking for US TV) included. I could have sworn the MGM DVD was going to be taken from the European theatrical cut and was going to be presented WS. But a friend who saw the title at a B&M confirmed that although it was the theatrical cut of the movie, it is in Full Frame.

Now the remastered LD contained the theatrical cut in a 1.75:1 aspect ratio. Anyone out there have any history on this title to know about the framing of the film when shot and whether it was just matted for theatrical presentation. If not, can anyone with both the LD and DVD in hand compare the framing. If the film was shot in 1:33 then no big deal. But to go to the trouble of actually doing a P&S when a LBX transfer was already done for LD. . . especially on a budget title that's not going to be a big hit. . .

Thanks . . .
Dave
Old 05-19-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It was probably just filmed open matte. I don't know if it helps, but imdb.com lists its aspect ratio at 1.33:1. I'm sure they just matted it for theatrical release.

K
Old 05-19-04, 01:23 PM

I believe that since it was a made for TV movie and telecast in 1983 that the Full Frame presentation is correct.

Being that it was made in the U.S. I would think that since all TV's in that time were the standard 1.33 format and was filmed for that format.

I may be wrong, but I would assume that the special effects shots were filmed with 1.33 in mind.
Old 05-19-04, 01:36 PM

I noticed that too in imdb, but I wonder if they just assume that since it is categorized as a TV movie. . . You may well be correct since the production was intended for a TV broadcast. Just curious if there is any first hand knowledge out there as there seems to be for quite a few films.

dd
Old 05-20-04, 02:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i am certain it was like BATTLESTAR GALACTICA, shot for tV, therefore fullscreen, then matted to 1:77 0r !;85. so fullscreen is the OAR.
Old 05-20-04, 11:18 AM

That is correct. It was shot for TV and originally broadcast FF. I saw that broadcast, btw.
Old 05-20-04, 12:03 PM

There was a thread about this about 2 weeks ago, can't find it. People were saying the import laserdisc in 1:78:1 opened up a little more info on the sides and that it was filmed this way. However, I think it is the case with Duel and many other movies. Just matted for theatrical release in Europe. Another thing that leads me to this conclusion is that the back of the dvd states "Standard" without the usual "modified to fit yor screen" disclaimer. Anchor Bay released this on tape, and not that they haven't released pan n scan movies before, but I would think getting a widescreen release for this would be easy. Just speculation on my part, maybe somebody can enlighten us.