TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Enterprise 05/19/04 and Renewal News

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Enterprise 05/19/04 and Renewal News

First the news:

UPN has decided to renew Star Trek: Enterprise for a fourth season, the SaveEnterprise.com fan campaign reported today.

The official UPN press presentation of the network's Fall schedule isn't scheduled until Thursday, but a press release from the campaign quoted unnamed production sources as saying the show would definitely be back. The site reported Star Trek executive producer Rick Berman would be flying into New York this week in order to make the official announcement himself.

Although Enterprise's place on the UPN line-up seems secure, it is not yet known exactly what timeslot it will occupy. According to SaveEnterprise.com, there is a possibility that the show will end up on Friday instead of Wednesday, which would take it out of competition with Smalville. Definite confirmation of the show's timeslot is not expected until Thursday - and of course, until a renewal is officially announced, UPN could still change their mind altogether.

Either way, Enterprise will have to work hard to win back viewers next year. Since the show premiered in 2001, it has lost a huge portion of its audience, leaving it in danger of cancellation by UPN. Although fan campaigns such as Save Enterprise and the Enterprise Project may have helped to convince the network of the franchise's continued viability, in order to secure a fifth season Enterprise will have to end its ratings drops.
Link

Further backing that up:

Connor Trinneer (Trip Tucker) has been ordered to report back to work on Star Trek: Enterprise, the actor reportedly told fans this weekend.

Dark Horizons reported that Trinneer was asked at the London Expo over the weekend whether he had any news about the show's renewal.

According to the web site, Trinneer told them that he and Dominic Keating (Malcolm Reed) has received word that they were expected to report back to the set.

Keating was attending the same event in Britain.
Link

Now the episode info:

Episode Title: 'Countdown'

With time running out and the Xindi weapon about to be armed, Archer has to make a deal with several Xindi.
Written By: Andre Bormanis & Chris Black
Directed By: Robert Duncan McNeill
Old 05-18-04, 03:01 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think part of the reason is that this show is doing bad, is that the stories drag on too long. They need to hurry up and get past this Xindi thing.
Old 05-18-04, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by Fok
I think part of the reason is that this show is doing bad, is that the stories drag on too long. They need to hurry up and get past this Xindi thing.

I agree. I've been reading articles that say this is the best season to date, and I don't get it. The show has never been what I would call good, but I would say it has gotten progressively worse since S1. TOS and TNG had a non-serial format and that was the best of Trek. Go back to that kind of storytelling.
Old 05-18-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I'm glad to see it coming back. They need some new blood in there to mix it up and make it seem more like ST.
Old 05-18-04, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Friday night's the perfect night for Enterprise...now all the dateless geeks will have something to watch. Okay, damn it...now I'LL have something to watch.
Old 05-18-04, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually I hated this show with a passion and didn't re-visit it until I heard about the xindi plotline. So I watched it and thought it had potential and have since become hooked. For this series I prefer the serial storyline. If they go back to the weekly crap they had before I'll probably tune out again.
Old 05-18-04, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the serial type story telling. It worked marvellously well in Deep Space Nine and to a degree in Voyager (but DS9 did it the best of any Trek series.) What makes me not interested in the Xindi story line (from what I have heard from a friend who watches it every week, not from actually seeing it for myself) is that whatever radical things they do in the series, the ultimate result will be everything is fixed for Kirk and crew. How dreadfully boring is that? I am sorry this series is coming back for another season. Maybe I will watch next season to see what's going on (as I don't believe it will be against Smallville anymore) but if it doesn't hook me after six or so episodes, I am done. Trek needs to take a long break before trying to think of a new series.
Old 05-18-04, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by calhoun07
I don't mind the serial type story telling. It worked marvellously well in Deep Space Nine and to a degree in Voyager (but DS9 did it the best of any Trek series.)

One of the reasons why I did not like DS9 and Voyager.

Last edited by Red Dog; 05-18-04 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-18-04, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I read an interview with Berman stating they're thinking of doing mini-arcs next season. 3-4 arcs of 6-7 episodes. Maybe that will appeal to both sets: those that like arcs and those that didn't like the year-long Xindi one?
Old 05-18-04, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Chew
I read an interview with Berman stating they're thinking of doing mini-arcs next season. 3-4 arcs of 6-7 episodes. Maybe that will appeal to both sets: those that like arcs and those that didn't like the year-long Xindi one?

That would be fine, so long as one involves the Andorians. The Andorian episodes have been my favorites by far.
Old 05-18-04, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Yes! Another year of these threads

I don't think I've ever been happier to see a bad show renewed.
Old 05-18-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Red Dog
That would be fine, so long as one involves the Andorians. The Andorian episodes have been my favorites by far.
Ahhh, you read my mind
I'm all for an Andorian arc, that means 6-7 episodes of Combs!!
Old 05-18-04, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I love TNG, I prefer DS9 because of the serialization and the rich stories and characters that developed. Although Enterprise hasn't reached that level, it has the potential to if it can pull off several arcs next season.

An Andorian/Vulcan one is definitely a must. They should show the two planets starting to put aside their differences and become reluctant allies since they will have to at least come to some terms since they help co-found the Federation in 7 years.
Old 05-19-04, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Variety confirms the renewal:

Meanwhile, over at CBS sibling UPN, net Tuesday let "Star Trek: Enterprise" fans rest a little easier: Skein's been renewed for a fourth season, though it's likely on the move to Friday.

UPN also handed out official greenlights to dramas "Kevin Hill" and "Veronica Mars" (Daily Variety, May 18) plus just one new laffer: Viacom cousin Par's "Second Time Around," about a divorced couple who remarry.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1
Old 05-19-04, 03:44 AM

I'm pretty much indifferent towards Enterprise as a whole but one thing has not changed in my stance toward Berman and Braga is that they are responsible for driving this franchise into the ground. My lucky eight ball says that a fifth season is unlikely if they continue to run things.
Old 05-19-04, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
The type of storyline isn't the problem. It's the lack of character development (Hey, does the black guy have any lines this week?), originality (Hey, let's do an 'everyone sleeps' episode), and quality of the writing (Hey, let's put N'pol in a new tight outfit!).

Story arcs can work masterfully, as with DS9 and B5, or they can drag things out, like this show.

There has been some good stuff this season on Enterprise, but too much of this year has seemed like a continuing storyline without a point. What made B5 and DS9 work so well was that it wasn't just one long storyline, it was a story with a beginning, middle and end.

Besides T'Pol Gets Horny, I haven't seen them do much with the characters at all.
Old 05-19-04, 11:40 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A good episode would be if they got transported into the future and met up with the Voyager/DS9 crew. Not original, but it should bring in the ratings.
Old 05-19-04, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sad that this gets renewed but Angel and a good new show like Wonderfalls doesn't.
I've watched a few this season and yes, they have improved but they are still very mundane and paint by numbers.
If they get some new blood in there I may watch next season but I dont see it doing better on Fridays.
I am still waiting for the Birth of the Federation Wasn't that the show that this was originally suppose to be?
Old 05-19-04, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this season has been a definite improvement over the last two. I was on the fence about the show until this year.

I always hated how the other trek shows never had any continuity. Call it serialization or whatever, but I love it. I think trying the 4-6 episode arcs would work very well.

How bad would it suck if the shield or sopranos ended every storyline at the end of the episode ?

Anyway, good news

Also, realize this is only the third season. They haven't developed every character yet, but compared to the other trek shows, a lot of the supporting characters were bland for the first few seasons as well.
Old 05-19-04, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

T'Pol is either in PMS or on the rag this week.
Old 05-19-04, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
T'Pol's missing her Trellium shots.

Seriously, I thought tonight's episode was GREAT and I'm with those who think this continuing Xindi storyline has saved the show.

I was getting SO bored with it, but the second half of this season has been really good. I'm even beginning to like some of the secondary characters that seemed to have no place in the show the past couple years.

The only thing I hate is what they've done with Archer's character. He's always yelling. I don't know anyone who'd want to serve under him. He needs to take a chill pill...or at least some Trillium, too.
Old 05-19-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
I thought this show was great, but maybe it was all the action. That's what this show needs. More shit blowing up.
Old 05-19-04, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought Hoshi was going to reprogram the weapon to blow up the spheres!
Old 05-20-04, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I liked how Hoshi was willing to sacrifice, even though I knew they'd stop her.

I didn't like how they made it so obvious that Major Hayes was going to die although he did have a good death.

Nice battle and the super-Aquatic ship looked awesome.
Old 05-20-04, 03:13 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Fok
A good episode would be if they got transported into the future and met up with the Voyager/DS9 crew. Not original, but it should bring in the ratings.
What a stupid idea. Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

No, clearly what the need to do is bring back the Borg. Now that would be cool. Borg episodes were allways cool. That or bring back Q. And they should update the uniforms so they look like how they are on the rest of the shows.

But leave the Vulcan in the tight outfits. She gives me Teh Hot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.