Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Full Spectrum Warrior - One & Only Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-04, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Full Spectrum Warrior - One & Only Thread

With this game coming out in a couple weeks (6/1), I figured it was time to have a single thread for it.

I just preordered it from Gamestop.com since they have free overnight shipping on it.

Oh, and before someone else says it..."OMG YOU CAN"T SHOOT?!?! THIS SUXX0rS!".

Here are some screenies:

Old 05-18-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,195 Likes on 4,222 Posts
OK, so let's get this out of the way: Why are you holding guns if you can't shoot? Are you supposed to hit people over the head with them?
Old 05-18-04, 12:34 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Decker
OK, so let's get this out of the way: Why are you holding guns if you can't shoot? Are you supposed to hit people over the head with them?
It's basically a real time strategy game/FPS/squad tactics hybird.

From what I've read, you just plan out your strategies and the AI does everything, including the shooting. So there is shooting, it's just not directly controllable by the player.
Old 05-18-04, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, like Josh already said, you can't shoot, but the team you control does. IGN has several good writeups explaining the game in more detail, along with some pretty cool videos.
Old 05-18-04, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Again (the following is a copy-and-paste job from last week's FSW thread ), here's the single best way to understand the game for those who may still not grasp its concept...

the Demo Trailer (69/56 MB) of the game at http://www.gametrailers.com/vault-f4.html . (I won't link to either the Quicktime or Windows Media version; anybody interested can choose their preferred one there.)
Old 05-18-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Again (the following is a copy-and-paste job from last week's FSW thread ), here's the single best way to understand the game for those who may still not grasp its concept...

Yeah, I know about that thread. The main reason I didn't just bump it, was its stupid discussion comparing it to Ghost Recon.
Old 05-20-04, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This game is going to kick so much ass. It sucks that I have to wait unitl September for the PC version.
Old 06-01-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This should be shipping today. IGN gave it a 9.2, Gamespot hasn't posted a review yet. Here is their closing comments

Closing Comments
In the end, Full Spectrum Warrior is an amazing achievement in design, and really, it's an amazingly visionary and original piece of code, full stop. Sure, there is room for improvement, but the game is still top-notch at every level of development and execution, and Pandemic's final product is a beautiful thing to look at, to play, and to compare to anything else in the marketplace.

As a game, it's thorough, deep, compelling, and it gives players something genuinely unique to play alone or with a friend. It could be longer, it could have more modes of play, and it could, nay, should, have an adversarial online ability, but I guess that's why they have sequels. Perhaps it's because Pandemic literally spent two years working on perfecting the camera system so that they couldn't spend more time on multiplayer modes, I don't know. What I do know is that if you own an Xbox and want a daring, awesome game to play this summer, you cannot go wrong with Full Spectrum Warrior.

10.0 Presentation
An outstanding, high-level production, beautifully presented with a superb intro movie, solid cutscenes and one monster tutorial.
9.0 Graphics
Great detail, excellent use of blurring, awesome particles, fire and explosions, great looking character models, and superb environments.
9.0 Sound
Solid, likeable themes, ranging from atypical militaristic to local Arab and Muslim influenced music. Great voice talent and well written lines. The constant chatter is always amusing.
9.0 Gameplay
Solid mechanics and innovative design push this game into an area no one's been before. It doesn't quite bloom into as deep a game as it could, but that's what sequels are for.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The 10-12 hour single-player campaign is much harder if you bump the difficulty level. The co-op LIve part is great, but where are all the online mini-games, or adversarial for starters?

9.2 OVERALL:
(out of 10 / not an average)
Sounds pretty good.

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/519/519972p1.html
Old 06-01-04, 07:48 AM
Admin Emeritus

Is 10-12 hours the norm for games now? It seems short to me. I'm still picking this up... just curious.

And it looks like Circuit City might be the place to get this game... they're handing out $10 GCs with purchase.
Old 06-01-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Static Cling
Is 10-12 hours the norm for games now? It seems short to me. I'm still picking this up... just curious.
i think so. w/ the general reduction of costs (say $20 per game), i guess the length has been greatly shortened.

i totally thought this was another FPS... which really turned me off. but, a more strategic/tactical game? sweeeet

Last edited by young; 06-01-04 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-01-04, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by young
i think so. w/ the general reduction of costs (say $20 per game), i guess the length has been greatly shortened.

i totally thought this was another FPS... which really turned me off. but, a more strategic/tactical game? sweeeet
It is nothing like a FPS. It seems to play more like a squad-based RTS if anything.
Old 06-01-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
strategy... meh.

I prefer my video games with more (or at least, some) action.
Old 06-01-04, 04:25 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Static Cling
Is 10-12 hours the norm for games now?
I wouldn't say that's the norm. I'd say the average console game lasts 15-20 now, assuming you don't use guides. At least that's what I average lately.
Old 06-01-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slop101
strategy... meh.

I prefer my video games with more (or at least, some) action.
Oh theres plenty of action but with this you have to actually think instead of just pulling the trigger at whatever pops up.
Old 06-01-04, 09:50 PM

I can't believe there's not an adversarial mode. Shocking, really. Still I think it could be a fun co-op game (and my best friend and I are always looking for a good one of those). I hope it isn't too hard as I tend to frustrate easily. I would imagine it's not too bad since it's a strategy game, but this might be a rental first for me.
Old 06-02-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Anyone get a chance to play this yet?
Old 06-02-04, 03:29 PM
Suspended

I read that some Fry's are carrying this for $34.99. Todays DFW Fry's ad only shows Riddick for $34.99.
Old 06-02-04, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
It's basically a real time strategy game/FPS/squad tactics hybird.

From what I've read, you just plan out your strategies and the AI does everything, including the shooting. So there is shooting, it's just not directly controllable by the player.

That's the deal breaker right there. I like to have direct control in a game like this. I also like to be right in the middle of a fire fight and not removed issuing commands. Being in the middle of a battle and having to think on your feet makes a game much more intense.
Old 06-02-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by MonkeyG
Anyone get a chance to play this yet?
Just got it in the mail an hour ago. I'll post something about it soon.
Old 06-02-04, 05:56 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
That's the deal breaker right there. I like to have direct control in a game like this. I also like to be right in the middle of a fire fight and not removed issuing commands. Being in the middle of a battle and having to think on your feet makes a game much more intense.
Military officers don't have to think on their feet?
Frankly it's this different tact that has me intrigued. It makes this something different and potentially deeper than Ghost Recon or R63 (though both are excellent games).
As I posted above, though you should have the ability to play adversarial matches, no question about that.
Old 06-02-04, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just played all of the training missions. This game is so great! At first I wished the view was more of an overhead, but that would lose the immersiveness of the game, and once you get use to it, it works perfect.

The best thing so far was being able to call in for mortar support, it looked and sounded incredible, and blew the shit out of everything. Havok 2.0 for the physics really helps in this area.

The voice acting is fantastic also, probably some of the best I have heard. It seems fairly realistic, and they didn't try to present it as 'nice and friendly', but they don't curse as excessively as 'The Suffering'; so it doesn't seem to tire as fast.

Anyway, that is all for now. I just started the first real mission, but I am probably going to stop playing for today. Awesome so far! Looking forward to when they plan on releasing more missions too.

edit: As far as head to head on Xbox live, that would of been cool, but I dont know how well it would of worked in this game. I think it would be very slow paced, and sloppy. They would probably have to rework a lot of things to have been able to do that, I guess that is why they are saving this for the sequel.
Old 06-02-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This game is awsome. Took me over an hour just to beat the training mission! I'm on the first mission and and actually scared to keep playing it. Never know when the red screen will pop up with the game over on it.
Old 06-02-04, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Military officers don't have to think on their feet?
Frankly it's this different tact that has me intrigued. It makes this something different and potentially deeper than Ghost Recon or R63 (though both are excellent games).
As I posted above, though you should have the ability to play adversarial matches, no question about that.
Officers most definitley have to think on thier feet. But I just like games where I have a direct hand in the outcome on the battlefield and not just watching.
Old 06-03-04, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I played through the training and part of the solo campaign. I really like the game so far. My only complaint is the camera. It's really close and sometimes I can't get the view I want. I wish I could zoom out just a little, but I guess that was a design decision for tactical reasons. Other than that, the game is awesome. It's pretty challenging for me. Either I suck or the game is kinda hard. It's a nice change from playing Squad based FPS.

The game also has quite a bit of humor in it. Some of the dialogue in the intro movie is funny and the character descriptions are humorous as well. Especially when they describe one of the guys as a leet-speaking gamer with nine tattoos of anime characters. All the squad members have personality. This game is awesome.
Old 06-03-04, 02:05 PM

Since the point of the game is to have a well-trained cohesive squad against loosely organized, poorly trained guerillas, there's an obvious online competitive multiplay experience that should make it into a sequel...

For the two (or three) light infantry squads, there should be little difference in how this game works. Two (or three) guys act as squad leaders and cooperate. You can't have direct control of any individual soldier because few, if any, people know and would implement actual light infantry maneuvers. (If there were such a group playing together, they'd go undefeated on Rainbow Six 3, the more urban Ghost Recon maps, etc, etc, with the way most people play.)

Now the opposing force is supposed to be more chaotic and clueless, in comparison [e.g., Muqtada al-Sadr's militia which has recently easily been decimated in Iraq] . That means it's perfect for the other 13 people in the room (or 29, if 32 player online combat becomes a feature soon in the console world) to play as some of the individual guerillas.

With this setup, you could forget about any chance of enemies being found in the same position each time, and obviously, there's no need to worry about those guerillas playing with realistic AI.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.