Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Superstar USA

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Superstar USA

This show that looks like American Idol, but has everyone in on the con, picking the worst performers to move on, starts tonight on the WB. Looks like it could be quite funny.
Old 05-17-04, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How is this different from the real AI?
Old 05-17-04, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Patman
How is this different from the real AI?
Not much. Once Latoya was gone (the only one I liked), I had no reason to watch.

But this one may be very funny. We get the really bad singers people like to see and then they go forward and think they're doing great.
Old 05-17-04, 07:09 PM

Apparently the singers were so bad, the audience was instructed not to laugh since they were cancer patients and the show was their last wish.
Old 05-17-04, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
"I'm sorry, but you have very big breasts and I was distracted. I didn't hear a word you said. I'll have to defer the vote to these two."

Old 05-17-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What a train wreck (only watch it during Las Vegas commercial breaks)!!!
Old 05-17-04, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
So was I.
Old 05-18-04, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
same here
I am definitely going to be watching this in the future though. It's such a shameless ripoff, I love it! Plus it's ripping off the most entertaining part of American Idol, the losers. The eye candy doesn't hurt either.

I just about fell off the couch when they introduced the judges. They got the black guy, the former mediocre female pop star and the a-hole, and they seat them in the same order!
Old 05-18-04, 01:19 AM

I was cracking up for most of this show. Great stuff.

I especially liked how they treated the singers who were actually good.

Panel: Knock knock.
Singer: Who's there?
Panel: You sucked.

The panel also insults the bad singers, but makes it sound like a compliment. For instance, to a girl who mispronounced words to a whitney houston song, they said "I like how your unintelligible words made the song unrecognizable from the whitney houston version".
The girl then walks out of the audition room beaming and says the panel liked how she made the song her own.
Old 05-18-04, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You put the "uperstar" in "Superstar"!!!

Vitamin C is hilarious with her false praise, and the producer's one-liners are spectacularly bad. Like a Fox reality show, though, I wish they'd just show the damn thing instead of "previewing" everything that will happen in the coming weeks. I'm already watching it, dammit ... you don't need to "hook" me by giving everything away.

das
Old 05-18-04, 02:04 AM

I wish they'd just show the damn thing instead of "previewing" everything that will happen in the coming weeks. I'm already watching it, dammit ... you don't need to "hook" me by giving everything away.
So true. They must have showed the "we lied to you!" clip 8 times.
Old 05-18-04, 08:39 AM

I thought the best line of the show was when Vitamin C says "I really like the way you took that word and made it your own."

I was LMAO, it's such a shot at AI, when they always say "you made that song your own"...only this time it was just one word that they "made their own".
Old 05-18-04, 09:43 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure they have enough to stretch the "audition phase" on for over one episode. I guess we'll see.

The one thing I wonder... did they have a method for screening out people who were 'faking it'? I know it's been revealed that some of the really awful Idol auditioners in the past two seasons were being intentionally bad just to get on tv. It seems like someone like that wouldn't be so deluded and might sense something was up.
Old 05-18-04, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I confess, I actually also have these episode slated to be recorded on my ReplayTV (but haven't watched the entire Monday episode yet, just snippets).
Old 05-18-04, 10:14 AM

This show is so mean. I love it. Damn funny. I think there is another episode tonght!!
Old 05-18-04, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
You put the "uperstar" in "Superstar"!!!
I thought that line was hilarious.

I missed the first 15 minutes of the show yesterday because I forgot about this, but I enjoyed what I saw.

What I don't understand is are these horrible singers really so delusional that they think they would be good enough to pass the audition? Or are they just that stupid?
Old 05-18-04, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You can see repeats of the first 2 shows on Friday night (back to back).
Old 05-18-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can see repeats of the first 2 shows on Friday night (back to back).
Good thing the dubba dubba dubba dubba dubbya b doesn't have anything else worthwhile.I didn't record Monday's and I wanna see the whole hting now.
Old 05-19-04, 03:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

"When the lyrics were sad and confused, I really felt like you were sad and confused." - Briggs
"I felt sad and confused too!" - Vitamin C

"Herbert, I'm concerned about your name. Do you have a nickname?" - Vitamin C
"I could use B-Slim." - Curkel
"There's a B-Slim in my crew" - Briggs

"I'm with you. You were doing these 'Yeahs', which are pretty much essential to rock music ... but I was wondering if you could do that same song ... but wherever you say 'Yeah' ... say 'No'." - Vitamin C
She's such an ass ... I'm in love!

"Stop it. Come on, man. How old are you?" - Briggs
"27" - Guy
"You're too old to go sleeveless in Orlando. You're too old to be in a boy band. It's time to take out the earrings, take out the product in the hair, put on a long-sleeved shirt ... it's time to be in a man band." - Briggs

Hilarious. I hope they wrap it up quickly, since this show doesn't really have legs, but it's funny for now.

das
Old 05-19-04, 08:08 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
"I'm with you. You were doing these 'Yeahs', which are pretty much essential to rock music ... but I was wondering if you could do that same song ... but wherever you say 'Yeah' ... say 'No'." - Vitamin C
I loved that line ... my wife and I were watching it in her hospital room last night. On account of her C-section, it hurts to laugh. Needless to say, she hurt for a little while.

My favorite line was: "Do you know what a MILF is? You do? Good. Because to me it means 'Mom I'd Like to ... Fly to Hollywood.'" - Briggs

Old 05-19-04, 12:10 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74

My favorite line was: "Do you know what a MILF is? You do? Good. Because to me it means 'Mom I'd Like to ... Fly to Hollywood.'" - Briggs

I couldn't believe that one.

I did feel sorry for the guy with the funny head going through though.

Pretty funny stuff in general. Way better than AI
Old 05-19-04, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
I wonder, once they're all performing against each other, are they going to be isolated while one person is performing? Because even if these guys are delusional in thinking that they're really good, they can't all be dumb enough to believe that the competition is good as well, right? Wouldn't the cat be out of the bag at that point?

We watched the first ep, and part of the second. It's funny in a way, but my wife was turned off by how mean they were to the decent performers. I wonder if they tell them about the hoax right away? Otherwise, that's really terrible.

I also wonder why the people who are good don't stand up to the panel like the bad ones do in AI?
Old 05-19-04, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
I wonder, once they're all performing against each other, are they going to be isolated while one person is performing?
In the premiere they made it look as though they wouldn't seee/hear the others perform, but that the final two would do a duet. And the thing was whether at that point they'd figure it out or not.

Can't wait for the duet though.
Old 05-19-04, 04:07 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is so funny

How do the judges keep a straight face?!
Old 05-19-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

there is one cute chick last nite, when briggs said to her,
1.Bad: you dont have a good voice
2.Good, you are freaking hot and would like to ask you out to dinner.

all those bad singers make william hung looks like the true idol.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.