Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Two Dream Theater DVDs coming on 6/29

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this has already been posted, my apologies. On June 29th, Rhino will release a Dream Theater 2-DVD set containing both "Images and Words: Live in Japan" and "5 Years in a Livetime". No other info at this time. Personally, I can't wait.
Old 05-17-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think we talked about it somewhere, but it's due for a reminder. I'm certainly looking forward to these. Also, it appears they're touring with Yes later in the year. I'm still pissed that the solo tour didn't come to Atlanta, but maybe they'll swing by our way for this one.

das
Old 05-18-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sweet. I'm looking forward to these. It'll be nice to get some Kevin Moore and Derek Sherinnian performances documented on (video) disc, too.
Old 05-18-04, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I think we talked about it somewhere, but it's due for a reminder. I'm certainly looking forward to these. Also, it appears they're touring with Yes later in the year. I'm still pissed that the solo tour didn't come to Atlanta, but maybe they'll swing by our way for this one.

das
Alright das this proves that you are not
Spoiler:
like you mentioned in the tv forum.

Spoiler:
year olds don't have good taste in music these days. It is a universal paradox.

Old 05-19-04, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been outed!! Don't tell anyone, but I'm really
Spoiler:
19 and three-quarters

das
Old 05-19-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
I've been outed!! Don't tell anyone, but I'm really
Spoiler:
19 and three-quarters

das
The correct term is
Spoiler:
19 going-on 20
Old 05-20-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So, I am a huge fan but never seen these releases. I have Scenes From a Memory. Watched it once. The cheese factor keeps me from returning for another viewing.

Is is safe to assume that these two have a high cheese level, especially since they are older?
Old 07-23-04, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
So, I am a huge fan but never seen these releases. I have Scenes From a Memory. Watched it once. The cheese factor keeps me from returning for another viewing.

Is is safe to assume that these two have a high cheese level, especially since they are older?
I think both releases are strictly concert footage before Portnoy's head got too big about how great his creativity is. Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Dream Theater but feel Portnoy can be over the top on productions like SFAM.

On another note, has anyone picked this up yet? I'm curious as to the quality of the content.
Old 07-23-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked it up last week, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I previously had the "5 Years" VHS and watched it quite a bit at the time. Mainly because it was the only DT video I had and I was too lazy to pick up the Tokyo one. I scanned through the Tokyo DVD only briefly, and I have to say the image quality is very good. My main interest will be the audio so I hope to report back on this later.
Old 07-24-04, 12:06 AM
Cool New Member

Dream Theater just wails on their guitars too much for me. Not very talented imho.

But to each their own.
Old 07-24-04, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by corbin dallas
Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of Dream Theater but feel Portnoy can be over the top on productions like SFAM.
See that is where you lose me. That whole CD (my fave) was all about under-playing. There were no overdone drawn out solos. Every note served the story.
Old 07-26-04, 01:09 PM

I was speaking more in the terms of the DVD production not the CD itself. I belive SFAM to be a masterpiece.
Old 07-26-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by corbin dallas
I was speaking more in the terms of the DVD production not the CD itself. I belive SFAM to be a masterpiece.
gotcha. Just re-read your post. I tend to agree. He is a musician not a videographer. I have SFAM and watched it once. The effects are too cheesy and yes over the top. Quite 80's amateurish looking.

Not that I have seen a lot of concert dvds but my top one production wise/ picture quality/ 5.1 DD and the whole shebang would be Metallica: Cunning Stunts. Watched that a half dozen times. Beautifully done. MP could learn a few things from popping that one in.
Old 07-26-04, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
gotcha. Just re-read your post. I tend to agree. He is a musician not a videographer. I have SFAM and watched it once. The effects are too cheesy and yes over the top. Quite 80's amateurish looking.

Not that I have seen a lot of concert dvds but my top one production wise/ picture quality/ 5.1 DD and the whole shebang would be Metallica: Cunning Stunts. Watched that a half dozen times. Beautifully done. MP could learn a few things from popping that one in.
If you have an HD Tv take a look at Queensryche's Live Evolution. Fantastic picture and even better sounding. It's definitely my favorite concert disk at the moment. Cunning Stunts is good but not nearly as good as the Queensryche disk.
Old 07-26-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How'd this one slip past me? Will look for it tomorrow.
Old 07-27-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll have to check out the Queensryche one then. I love them too. But just not one to just sit down and watch a concert at home.