Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Hooking up a receiver, dvd player, speakers, tv - suggestions needed

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 02:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,

I haven't been into HT gear for a while, it's been a long time since I've shopped for new equipment.

My friend needed help installing some of the gear he has. The Receiver is Integra, speakers are Polk, and everything else is all phillips, Sony, and Mitsibushi.

I don't have any model numbers or manuals, but my question is how hard can it be to setup the wiring so everything works?

I'm guessing red goes to red, white goes to white, yellow goes to yellow etc, etc, etc...

anything else I should be aware of?
Thanks!
Old 05-17-04, 01:16 PM
Banned

tell him to read the manuals, and splurge for the high end RGB cables and either Optical or Coaxial digital audio cables.

Forget Red/Yellow/White - thats kids stuff - if all he has is red/yellow/white, he might as well not bother to use an HTReceiver

DVDPLayer (set to progressive scan output) to TV via either S-Video or (preferably) RGB component cables....or the DVIPort if its an HD-DVD Player

DVDPlayer to HTReceiver via either Coax or Optical digital audio cable. Do not bridge the DVDVideo signal by way of the HTReceiver, do directly to the TV from the DVDPlayer.

Cable box RGBout to TV RGBin (Im hoping were talking about an HDTV set here?)

Cable digital audio out to HTReceiver Digital audio in via either coax or optical

turn the TV's speakers to mute and run all your audio out of the HTReceiver
Old 05-17-04, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with direct video hookups to the tv. BUT, you may want to get a good remote with macros to make the system usable. Because, you'll need to switch receiver inputs and tv inputs when using different devices (dvd, vcr, cable/sat, etc.). And the easy suggestion I have is the MX-500, which is great for learning/macros and 'mode-based' setups, where one button puch will turn all the necessary stuff on (or off), adjust all inputs, etc.

Without a decent remote, you'll need to use several and/or change modes on a few, and it can get complicated and impossible to figure out for guests to use.
Old 05-17-04, 03:15 PM
Banned

you may want to get a good remote with macros to make the system usable. Because, you'll need to switch receiver inputs and tv inputs when using different devices (dvd, vcr, cable/sat, etc.).
Yes - a good Macro capable, Learning IR remote is key and essential to completing the package

by use of Macros, you can set the entire powerup/powerdown sequence of any event to a single key press...and you want it to be able to learn commands directly from the original device remote in case you dont have an operational code for that device built into the remote.

for example, I have a very basic RadioShack 15-1994 for 1 room and a 15-2116 for another...while the 2116 has a nice LCD readout, the 1994 has 4 specific keys to which you can store macros - the 2116 does not (what the hell were they thinking leaving those out?) but what I like about the Radio shack ones is that the factory programming interface has been left exposed in the baterry compartment so that with a little internet diligence, and less than $10 in electronics components, you can build your own interface cable (or just buy a completed cable from people who figured it out) to plug it directly to your PC and program it through several downloadable remote interface programs.

anyway, all depending what I want to do, 1 button starts it all up...so if I want to play a DVD, the 1-key macro automatically....

sets itself to TV mode,
turns on the TV,
puts the TV in DVD input mode,
sets itself to HTReceiver mode,
turns on my HT Receiver,
switches the Receiver to DVD audio mode,
sets itself to DVDPlayer mode,
turns on the DVD Player,
and Ejects the DVD tray

and then the SHIFTED mode of that same button turns it all off.

I have re-mapped all the volume commands for all my individual devices to the HT volume commands, so that no matter what device mode the remote is in (DVD, TV, CD, etc) whenever I hit the volume keys, it always controls the volume on the HT - that way I dont have to switch to HT mode to set volume levels, while still leaving the remote in DVD mode to control the DVDPlayer.

A good learning Macro capable universal remote is the corner stone and the jewel in the crown of any premium Home Theater setup.

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 05-17-04 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-17-04, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...especially if you want the wife/gf to approve of it!!!!!!!!!! $^)

BTW, I have a couple of the RS 1994's--good learning/macro remote and still cheap. A good option as well. Although the MX500 is a bit slicker.
Old 05-17-04, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
tell him to read the manuals, and splurge for the high end RGB cables and either Optical or Coaxial digital audio cables.
IMO, high end cables do not provide any marked improvement over "good-built" cables as long as the run is shorter than 15 feet. I like www.bluejeanscable.com.

P.S., Cheap optical and expensive optical should make no difference if one is not broken or too long.
Old 05-17-04, 06:13 PM
Banned

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll be going over there to help him out and I'll check out the setup. I really appreciate the help.
Old 05-17-04, 09:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by hoyalawya
IMO, high end cables do not provide any marked improvement over "good-built" cables as long as the run is shorter than 15 feet. I like www.bluejeanscable.com.
My mistake for not making myself clearer - what I meant by high end cables was better quality above and beyond standard RCA Red/Yellow/White

Personally I went with 6 ft. cables for the DVDPlayer and 12ft. for teh Cable box