Community
Search

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Testament of Dr. Mabuse

Okay, so since I saw the cover art for this a couple months back, I've been intrigued and after checking out what it was about and all that, couldn't wait for 5/18 to get here. Anyway, I was in Ann Arbor yesterday and dropped by Borders (since we don't have one). I was almost shocked to see that they had two copies of the DVD, even though it's not due out until Tuesday. I was contemplating ordering it online last week, but held off, even though I figured they wouldn't have it, since it's breaking street date. Not having a Borders here, I'm not sure if this is something they do often. Since it's not a real mainstream title, I suppose not many will notice.

Anyway, now that the backstory is out of the way, I'm wondering: is this a movie that I can watch with having seen M or Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler? Since both flicks have ties to Testament, I was curious as to whether I should see those two films before watching Mabuse?

Also, did anyone else find this early? And for those of you who've picked it up, thoughts on the film and DVD? I can't wait to watch it, but until then, my two cents will be held off.
Old 05-16-04, 10:57 PM

I haven't seen it yet...

but Borders tends to carry Criterion dvds far more than most chains. I saw the dvd there about a week ago actually.
Old 05-16-04, 11:33 PM

Testament can stand on its own--you don't need to have seen Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler first. Any background you need will be available by David Kalat's no-doubt excellent and exhaustive commentary (he also does the commentary for Image's release of Dr. Mabuse, the Gambler). My copy is still on order. Enjoy!
Old 05-17-04, 06:18 AM
Defunct Account

FilmFanSea is right, you don't need to have seen the first movie. Any background details that you need are provided in the movie itself.

It's a great movie, and anyone on the edge about this title should go ahead and snag it. The commentary is excellent too.

You can read my review of the title here:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=10674
Old 05-17-04, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
If you like Testament, make sure you catch 1,000 eyes of Dr. Mabuse - it was Lang's last film, and the 3rd in his Mabuse trilogy.
Old 05-22-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Criterion has released the "Testament of Dr. Mabuse" and there's a version of the "Gambler" by Image. Is the "1000 eyes" also out on DVD.

How's the quality of the Image DVD?
Old 05-22-04, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
Criterion has released the "Testament of Dr. Mabuse" and there's a version of the "Gambler" by Image. Is the "1000 eyes" also out on DVD.

How's the quality of the Image DVD?
The Image release of Dr. Mabuse is great - a two-disc set with very good picture quality, and a non-stop commentary that is fascinating and informative. They did a great job with this release.
Old 05-22-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally posted by LorenzoL
Is the "1000 eyes" also out on DVD.
Yes, 1000 Eyes is out on a great dvd - the video is a solid anamorphic B&W transfer. For sound, it has both the original German and the English dub. It has a making-of, trailers, a nice little insert, and a commentary by David Kallat - the same guy that does the tremendous commentaries on both the Image and Criterion Mabuse dvds.

Here's a link to buy:
http://www.digitaleyes.net/Details.c...fo=ADED9649DVD

and a thorough review:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/dvdsavant/s127mabuse.html

Last edited by slop101; 05-22-04 at 08:18 PM.