Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

HELLBOY 2 happening (merged)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

HELLBOY 2 happening (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HELLBOY 2 happening

Man, after the first one "bombed" so bad I can't believe they're making a second!

HELLBOY 2 happening

It's official: plans for HELLBOY 2 are a go.

The news broke today in The Hollywood Reporter that director Guillermo del Toro, producers Lawrence Gordon, Mike Richardson and Lloyd Levin and HELLBOY creator Mike Mignola will all work together on a sequel to the red-skinned superhero from down below. Revolution Studios will once again develop the second HELLBOY picture. No time frame was given as to when a script may be completed or when the new film could be out in theaters.

"We are excited to be making the sequel to HELLBOY and to be bringing back the amazing creative team that made it so memorable," said Tom Sherak of Revolution Studios to the Reporter. "The film was made for a relatively low cost and has performed magnificently here in the U.S., and we look forward to it continuing its successful run internationally."

In his public discussions about what we might expect to see in a HELLBOY 2 movie, del Toro mentioned that he would like to include the B.R.P.D. character Lobster Johnson in the next one.
Old 05-16-04, 06:39 PM
Banned

By "bombed", you're being sarcastic. Right?

This movie did for me what Jason and the Argonauts. Sinbad (name one of the three), and Star Was (yes I meant to say "was") did for me now!

This movie stoked my fire.

Not to mention the mundanes in the audience were laughing and gasping too.

In his public discussions about what we might expect to see in a HELLBOY 2 movie, del Toro mentioned that he would like to include the B.R.P.D. character Lobster Johnson in the next one.
You're not being an anti-troll are you? I missed this part.
Lobster Johnson deserves his own movie! The word was: he was cut.

I am officially changing my sig!

Last edited by Kudama; 05-16-04 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Kudama
By "bombed", you're being sarcastic. Right?
Just a bit (I thought that was a running gag on this board?). Unfortunately I never got to see the first one in the theaters but I look forward to seeing it on DVD.
Old 05-16-04, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Yes, it is a running gag in the boards. Kudama's just out of the loop.
Old 05-16-04, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Cool! I hope they do the vampire guy in the next one. Name escapes me at this point, and don't really feel like digging through the old comics just yet.
Old 05-16-04, 07:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yes, it is a running gag in the boards. Kudama's just out of the loop.
"Why is everybody alway pickin' on me?"
Old 05-16-04, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
This is one flick that I am glad bombed.
Old 05-16-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I didn't love the original, I can easily see the second correcting what I didn't like about the first. So, while it matters little, I approve.
Old 05-16-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

i finally saw the first one last night, bring on number two
Old 05-16-04, 10:10 PM
Suspended

I loved the first one. Since Del Toro is doing it I'm sure it'll be good.
Old 05-16-04, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Can't wait to see Ron Perlman and Co. in round 2.
Old 05-16-04, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hope the sequel bombs just like the first, that way they'll make a third film!
Old 05-17-04, 03:03 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
On the Hellboy board they've been talking about this for a while. Needless to say, I'm quite excited.
Old 05-17-04, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally posted by B.A.
Can't wait to see Ron Perlman and Co. in round 2.

I totally agree.
Old 05-17-04, 05:14 AM

Awesome! I loved the first one, and am glad that it's bombing at the B.O. didn't stop them from greenlighting a sequel!
Old 05-17-04, 06:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Loved the movie, will wait for the SE DVD release later in the year, and will definitely be there when the 2nd one hits theaters.
Old 05-20-06, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Sony rejects Hellboy 2

Bad news for “Hellboy 2”.

Seems it is studio-less, with Sony deciding to adopt out the horny hero’s second big-screen haunt.

According to Variety, Sony were going to oversee the sequel, but have now decided against it. (I’m guessing, based on what I know, that it is one of the many properties that Sony has decided to disattach themselves too. Quite a few have gone that way of late, mostly, because they’ve got their big fish – “Spider-Man”, 007 and so on – and they’d rather spend their moolah on those, less riskier, franchises).

It’ll probably still happen – just somewhere else. Maybe New Line should take a look at it?

Meantime, Guillermo del Toro is working on a film version – and remake, since it’s already been done, in the 80s – of Roald Dahl’s “The Witches”, for Warner Bros.

MOVIEHOLE.net
Old 05-20-06, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Bummer.
Old 05-21-06, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
You'd think another studio would pick this up if Sony doesn't want it. I enjoyed the first film, and I would see another.
Old 05-21-06, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait, Del Toro is adapting The Witches? Intriguing.
Old 05-21-06, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Shame. I was hoping to get a big-screen version of The Wolves of St. August; that was quite an entertaining one.
Old 05-22-06, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That kinda sucks, but with all the money that comic book movies seem to be making hopefully it will have a chace. well at least before comic movies start bombing.
Old 07-22-06, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.superherohype.com/news/he...ws.php?id=4536

Guillermo del Toro on the Status of Hellboy 2
Source: Blake Wright July 21, 2006

Director Guillermo del Toro told San Diego Comic-Con attendees Friday that he was hopeful that Hellboy 2 would get a green light in the future, but the current status of the project is still up in the air. He said that trying to find a home for the second movie in a franchise has proved taxing, but he is excited about the script, which has the seal of approval from "Hellboy" creator Mike Mignola.

"I hope it gets made, but that is really all I can say right now," said del Toro.

Mignola added that the subject matter visited in the Hellboy 2 script, which is still hush-hush, echoes some of the same themes near-future "Hellboy" comic books will be exploring. The pair were mum on exactly what those themes would be, but the topics of folklore and mythology came up several times during the presentation.

Del Toro previously said that the project had moved from Sony to Paramount.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=15592

Exclusive: Tad Stones on Hellboy Animated
Source: Blake Wright July 21, 2006

Tad Stones, producer of two Hellboy Animated features slated to run on Cartoon Network later this year and next, told Superhero Hype! on Friday not to expect a full-blown B.P.R.D. reunion in the upcoming movies. These stories, while containing popular characters from the Mike Mignola universe, are very much about the big red demon hunter.

"We're not building the Justice League," said Stones. "We're not building the team. It is still about Hellboy."

Stones said that Kate Corrigan and Sidney Leech (the human metal detector) are in the second movie. Dr Manning is there as well. But there is no Johann, Lobster Johnson or Roger.

"We talked about Roger, but his story is so big we elected not to have him," said Stones. "He's a strange character and his story really merits its own movie, so who knows."

The storyline for the first feature, "Sword of Storms," is an Alice in Wonderland tale, according to Stones. Hellboy falls down a well and ends up somewhere else.

"What he doesn't know is that there is a bad guy moving chess pieces – in the form of Japanese-styled monsters – as obstacles to block his way," he said. "The most he is told is the hang onto the sword and head east. There is a conundrum where... wait, I can't really tell you that!"

Ron Perlman, who played Hellboy in the live-action feature, provides the voice for the animated Hellboy. Also returning from the live-action movie is Selma Blair as Liz, John Hurt as Broom and Doug Jones – the actor that played Abe Sapien – providing the voice for Abe. Stones said it was not a coincidence that the same actors are back.

"Ron is Hellboy," said Stones. "The reason we have a lot of the same cast as the movie is because we asked them and they said 'yes!'"

The Hellboy Animated features sport a very different look from that of Mike Mignola's artwork, and that is by design. Not only did the likeness need to be different for rights issues, but also Stones said Mignola is a big fan of seeing other artists draw his creations.

"Mike likes to see different interpretations of his work," said Stones. "His work is very unique on the page and takes a long time to do. He looks at each page like a separate work of art."

Cartoon Network secured the rights for Hellboy Animated for seven years and Stones is hopeful that success with the first two offerings will spawn additional animated Hellboy films for years to come.

http://www.gotohellboy.com/
The official Hellboy Animated website is now online with new downloads such as the trailer, wallpaper and buddy icons, info on the two upcoming movies and more.

Last edited by fryinpan1; 07-22-06 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-22-06, 02:43 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Moving from Sony to Paramount, huh? At least we'll see an HD DVD of one of the Hellboy films.
Old 08-04-06, 03:50 AM

Hellboy 2 has officially been picked up by Universal and is set for a Summer 2008 release! I'm totally pumped, been following news of a Hellboy sequal for a long time. Those animated movies sound cool, but this is what every fan was waiting for!

Universal picks up Hellboy 2 (Superherohype.com)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.