Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Event movies with very poor SFX

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-04, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw the most realistic effects thread and thought of this one. One reason was because Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was on TV last night. I am looking for movies that have big budgets and were fairly well anticipated but had uniformly poor effects. Do not list movies that may have one or 2 poor scenes but ones were the majority of the effects were fairly poorly done.

1. Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone
2. Star Trek: Insurrection

Incedintly the majority of the effects work by these movies were done by Sony Imageworks. Strange since they provided very convincing effects for StarShip Troopers
Old 05-16-04, 12:53 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mummy Returns
Old 05-16-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Event movies with very poor SFX

Originally posted by mikep1000
Strange since they provided very convincing effects for StarShip Troopers
Credibility=gone.
Old 05-16-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Van Helsing
Old 05-16-04, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Event movies with very poor SFX

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Credibility=gone.
Why? Starship Troopers is a stellar example of top notch effects work.

Harry Potter though...that movie was fairly solid imo. Where exactly were these awful effects we're talking about? Or is the actual thread title "name some big budget movies with decent effects that we're going to nitpick about cause CG is evil."

Seriously, when did these become bad effects movies? Mummy Returns, while I admit that Scorpion King was weak, the rest of the film sported a lot of just fine effects work. But since a lot of these movies are not realistic (even though they never intended to be in the first place) they become bad. Everybody seems to be "taken out of the movie" with modern movies and modern CG effects work, and I just wonder how ANY of you guys ever watched an effect movie prior to the CG revolution, cause quite frankly...effects work looked 10 times less realistic before. Go watch Total Recall, the effects Oscar winner from 1990...you can see matte lines, models, pick out the stiff puppets. It's still an awesome movie, but with this insane level of nit pickining, I would think that movie would be unwatchable for some of you guys.

Now I do agree with Star Trek Insurrection, basically with the space effects work. The spaceships were shoddy looking, without any sense of size, and since that stuff had been done well 8 times before, it was pretty pathetic that that mvoie looked like that. Of course, the movie sucked too so that didn't help.

Last edited by jaeufraser; 05-16-04 at 04:52 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Why? Starship Troopers is a stellar example of top notch effects work.
Agreed. While the SFX shots in space with the ships aren't that great, the film sports some of the best blend of CGI and live action ever seen in a major motion picture.
Old 05-16-04, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts
I know some people thought the CGI work in The Hulk was bad, but I thought it was very good.
Old 05-16-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
Clash of the Titans
Old 05-16-04, 06:10 PM
Banned

Spider-man
Old 05-16-04, 06:25 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TomOpus
I know some people thought the CGI work in The Hulk was bad, but I thought it was very good.
I’m with you on this! That jet scene was amazing!

No one yet has surpassed Jurassic Park. For some reason (be it whipping the animators or passion of art) they came the closest.

Mimic (IMHO) was the second best. Guillermo del Toro is an artist that knows when the painting is finished.

THE WORST!!!! Anaconda. They just didn't care.
Old 05-16-04, 06:26 PM

I am not actually againest CGI I actually love seeing it in a movie if used correctly. This thread isn't about modern techniques vs CGI I was just looking to find big budgets that looked as if they used second rate effects.
I.E. Star Trek V

As for the first harry potter, I agree some of the effects look alright but things like the Quidditch match look awful, not so much on dvd but I was appalled at the quality when I saw it in theater. It looks very much like a video game, overly bright and very jerky animation, the same goes with possibly Harry on the broom stick near the end. In comparsion watch the quidditch match in the second movie and see how much better the animation is.
I actually thought the effects in the Hulk were quite well done and the Mummy Returns, well except for the Scorpion King at the end.
Old 05-16-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Scooby-freakin'-Doo
Old 05-16-04, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
While not exactly poor, after Troy I am getting sick of seeing a thousand or so guys replicated over and over to make it look like a huge army charging.

Please, give the CGI a rest!
Old 05-16-04, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by Dr. DVD
While not exactly poor, after Troy I am getting sick of seeing a thousand or so guys replicated over and over to make it look like a huge army charging.

Please, give the CGI a rest!
Yeah seriously, they're putting a thousand extras out of work!
Old 05-16-04, 08:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gladiator. In the theater I found the CGI very visible and distracting, looks much better IMHO on the small screen.
Old 05-16-04, 09:09 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Event movies with very poor SFX

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Credibility=gone.
Why is that? As much as I hate Starship Troopers (there are few things more pathetic imo than Troopers fans who proclaim, "This movie is SATIRE! Don't you get it?? It's SUPPOSED to be a piece of shit!!!!") I will admit that the effects were pretty impressive.
Old 05-16-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
So maybe the thread should be more along the lines of CGI that takes you out of the film.

I thought flying through the floors and ductwork in Panic Room looked like a video game and was very distracting.
Old 05-16-04, 10:09 PM

You guys really nned to give the CGI bashing a rest. True there is a lot of bad CGI work out there, because there is a lot people who have got into this business that think that all you have to do is push the make dinosaur button and you get Jurrasic Park. There is a lot that goes on behind the scenes most people have no idea about. With the insane budgets, incrediblely short time frames we have to work in and so called directors that think they know how to direct, there is bond to be bad work. Just because you happen to read Cinefex, or watch the making of stuff on the DVD doesn't mean you know anything about CGI
Old 05-16-04, 10:14 PM

You guys really nned to give the CGI bashing a rest.
While you're at it please refrain from criticizing actors, directors, writers, producers, editors, composers, musicians, cinamatographers, scripts, sets, and scenery as well
Old 05-16-04, 10:32 PM

I nominate Mimic (good call) and The Relic for wannabe blockbusters with poor special effects. The fact that they were mediocre/bad and made nothing probably disqualifies them from this.
Old 05-16-04, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=worst+effects
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...=worst+effects
Old 05-16-04, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Carnosaur.
Old 05-17-04, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Mummy was inexcusably and unforgivably bad. Did they cut that sumbitch on a Sega Genesis?
Old 05-17-04, 10:52 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by The Nature Boy
The Mummy was inexcusably and unforgivably bad. Did they cut that sumbitch on a Sega Genesis?
Everyone always points to The Mummy Returns as an example of FX gone bad, but I was far more distracted by the original, namely the Mummy himself.
Old 05-17-04, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The train crash in Under Siege 2

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.