Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Shoul I get current Goodfellas?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Shoul I get current Goodfellas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-04, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I get current Goodfellas dvd?

I just saw Goodfellas last night at a friends house and I just absolutely must have it. Should I get it now or wait til august for the SE. I don't really care about extras.

Last edited by orangeguy; 05-15-04 at 04:23 PM.
Old 05-15-04, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...if you don't mind a "flipper" (you have to turn over the disc in the middle of the movie!) - get the current disc... otherwise wait for the SE, which is certain to be a DVD-9...

. . . . . .
Old 05-15-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have to be nuts if you're even considering getting the old non-anamorphic flipper instead of the upcoming 2 disc set.
Old 05-15-04, 09:26 PM

agree with robert... many have been waiting this one out for years, nevermind a couple months.
Old 05-19-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Robert
You have to be nuts
No kidding, I've been waiting for this movie since I started my DVD collection. I almost broke down and bought it a few times, but I am glad I held off. Only a few months away now.
Old 05-20-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wait only a few more months. I know it's good, but definitely wait.
Old 05-20-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Patience.....patience .... you will be rewarded.
Old 05-20-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should wait until August. Even if you really don't give a shit about the new version, the price for a used older edition will plummet to around $3 or so. It's a win-win.

It's only 3 months.
Old 05-20-04, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Robert
You have to be nuts if you're even considering getting the old non-anamorphic flipper instead of the upcoming 2 disc set.
Word.
Old 05-20-04, 12:15 PM

Most of us have been waiting for years; it will be worth waiting until August.
Old 05-21-04, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dammit! I just finally picked this up a few weeks ago after waiting YEARS for a new edition. How did I not hear about this?
Old 05-26-04, 12:42 PM
Banned

I went as far as making my own anamorphic, flipper-joined-to-one-sided-DVDR of this and I have to say regardles of how much I enjoy having my own non-flipper anamorphic version of this, I'm STILL going to get the SE just to have it done right the way it SHOULD have been the first stime around, but also because I love commentary and features and am just dying to hear Henry Hill's commentary on this film.
Old 05-26-04, 01:56 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by JupiterPrime
I went as far as making my own anamorphic, flipper-joined-to-one-sided-DVDR of this and I have to say regardles of how much I enjoy having my own non-flipper anamorphic version of this, I'm STILL going to get the SE just to have it done right the way it SHOULD have been the first stime around, but also because I love commentary and features and am just dying to hear Henry Hill's commentary on this film.
For your future reference, we do not discuss illegal (and yes, it's illegal) copying of movies here at DVD Talk.
Old 05-26-04, 10:40 PM
Banned

I follow what you mean, but I dont necessarilly consider what I did to it as copying as I already own the original and just wanted it anamorphic and single sided - I think that even though I own it and put it in the amount of work I put into making it the way that works best for me with a widescreen TV, where the auhtours of the original version dropped the ball and should have it properly inthe first place

So no argument as to what you say, but just clarifying my position as to what I said - I think we understand each other and I think eveyrone else also understands my statement in the spirit it was given, and we can leave it at that.

Personally I do not see any problem with the editting of DVDs you already own for the very reasons I have stated above - friggin non-anamorphic flipper garbage - I have done the same with JFK and The Right Stuff. Someone should have Tootie put a hit out on the guy who dreamed that up.

Last edited by JupiterPrime; 05-26-04 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-27-04, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JupiterPrime
I follow what you mean, but I dont necessarilly consider what I did to it as copying as I already own the original and just wanted it anamorphic and single sided - I think that even though I own it and put it in the amount of work I put into making it the way that works best for me with a widescreen TV, where the auhtours of the original version dropped the ball and should have it properly inthe first place

So no argument as to what you say, but just clarifying my position as to what I said - I think we understand each other and I think eveyrone else also understands my statement in the spirit it was given, and we can leave it at that.

Personally I do not see any problem with the editting of DVDs you already own for the very reasons I have stated above - friggin non-anamorphic flipper garbage - I have done the same with JFK and The Right Stuff. Someone should have Tootie put a hit out on the guy who dreamed that up.
I really dont think what you did was illegal as long as its a movie you owned..you can make as many copies of it as yoo want for yuor own personall use
Old 05-27-04, 09:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Deke Rivers
I really dont think what you did was illegal as long as its a movie you owned..you can make as many copies of it as yoo want for yuor own personall use
This matter goes beyond the "fair use" principle you're used to with video tapes. You need to review the court decisions concerning breaking the CSS encryption on DVDs and how that relates to the DMCA.

I don't like it but that's the way it is.
Old 05-28-04, 03:17 AM
Cool New Member

I'm definitely getting the coming Goodfelllas edition, but I'm not sure if I want the whole Scorsese set or just Goodfellas. I'm not familiar with the other films in the Scorsese set at all, any one care to give some advice?
Old 05-30-04, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you want Goodfellas then you should also love Mean Streets. It's the granddaddy of all small time hood movies like Boyz n the hood, La Haine, Laws of Gravity, and, yes, Goodfellas. (plus countless others.) And DeNiro is unbelivably great in it. The box set costs about the same as getting those two on their own (Get Amazon STL) and you also get some other fine flix. After Hours is good (not great, but the commentary should be very interesting), Who's That Knocking is terrific (very early Scorsese and very young Keitel), haven't seen Alice but it's supposed to be very good and a very different film for Marty. The box is the way to go.